How many here are Biolar or suffer from depression?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bangbang, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

Conflicting loops of positive and negative is correct, I usually think of it as logic vs emotion.

Understanding the reason I'm here? I'm pretty sure I'm here for global domination, I gots plans! Still working the bugs out though. :)

2. Bangbang

Bangbang Senior Stratmaster

Damn! I feel stupid for complaining.

3. capt_goodvibes

capt_goodvibes Senior Stratmaster

Thanks peskypesky, I know exactly where your coming from, depression started a long time before my accident, the accident just made things a whole f#$%ing lot worse

SOL Guitars
    www.solguitars.net

[​IMG]

4. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

well, as i posted above, i have been treated extremely well by meds and am living a really good, fun life now. i look back with pity on the pesky who suffered for so many years.

5. Grounded

Grounded Senior Stratmaster

Why you are here is one question. My question was "how" you got here.
    A man's first wound comes from his father, and then it only get worse.

6. stubewan

stubewan Strat-Talker

I am Bipolar and am doing pretty good

I have been offically part of the club for 6.5 years, unoffically serving maybe 20 years. I am 45, I do take Cymbalta and Topamax. They are part of my daily life, but at very low doses. I have been able to really support and effect my mental state through diet and supplements. I am happier not taking as much medicine and I'm in much better health, lost 30 pounds, because of the foods that I am eating. My mental clarity is better, my focus is great. Those things are enough of a benefit to keep me taking my meds for how ever long I need to.

7. psykhotic

psykhotic Strat-Talker

I think a large part of depression is because of how our society is. Over the last 50 years we've lost a lot of natural human interaction, our class systems are super screwed up, government, economy, etc etc. I don't want to sound too negative but reality has really started sucking.

It's kind of funny actually, here in the states we have so much more than a lot of people but we're also the largest consumer of pharmaceuticals for depression (guessing). I really do think it has to do with how little value we place on family/friends/treating others well. We're social beings and we've definitely screwed that up.

It is also biological. My grandfather was manic depressive and I sometimes feel the symptoms. For example it can take me hours to get out of bed some days. I also suffer from insomnia because I can't just relax and stop thinking.

Capt, thanks for telling us about your injury/disability. It makes your avatar make a lot more sense. Plus it's a great reminder to be thankful for everything we have. I'm glad you found guitar playing and this site. Although the internet has killed a lot of social interaction it's also opened us up to global communication which I think is pretty awesome.

8. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Strat-O-Master

Well I never dreamed I'd see a thread like this on a guitar forum... but then again music is about expressing ones soul and this thread deals w/ that as well. For me, everything bad began in 1995. I started working for the post office as a letter carrier. Great pay, walked 11-15 miles a day... everything was good.

Shortly after starting the job I noticed my weight was down. Way down. I was married and my wife was 5'10" and weighed 103 pounds soaking wet. One day I accidentally put on her jean shorts and they fit perfectly. From 165 to 100 was a sign that something was not right.

We scheduled a doctor appointment and I was diagnosed as being Type I Diabetic. If you don't know about diabetes all I can say is count your lucky stars. This is one of the worst things to have to deal with. Even keeping blood sugar levels in near perfect control since 1998 this decease just eats away at the body.

After being told I would have to inject needles into my body just to stay alive my employer, the lovely post office, told me that treating my diabetes while working was a "Time-Wasting Practice."

After nearly dying at work thanks to their ignorance I filed a lawsuit. Since they are Federal it's called an EEO, but it's the same thing. That took two years and a hearing before a Federal judge to get resolved. The judge found in my favor. I won a small amount of money and the right to treat myself at work.

After that I figured things would be cool. I mean, when a Federal judge slaps you upside the head, you would think they would get the message. But all it did was turn up the heat. The decision pissed off the Post Master and I had a bulls-eye on my back immediately afterward.

Within a short amount of time they {Managers/Supervisors/Post Master} started screwing w/ me everyday. Each day was a new adventure because I had no idea what they would try next. Finally, one day they told me I would be fired if caught treating my diabetes whilst on the clock. I suffered a hypoglycemic event that nearly killed me. With no choice but to quit or sue again, I filed another lawsuit.

Long story short... I was diagnosed w/ PTSD and all the crap that comes along w/ that. The second lawsuit turned into a third and then a fourth and the time to resolve all of this took 12 years.

All the horror stories you've heard about big companies... I can assure you they are true. In my second trial the judge told the post office they needed to settle the case... she knew they were lying on the stand and all the evidence was obvious. What did they do? Threatened the judge's job until she ruled in their favor. Her decision had 47 errors... misstated evidence, misquoted witnesses, had names wrong for witnesses... I mean it was a total joke.

But they got their way. That time.

Bottom line... don't go to work for the post office. Period. Second... if you have diabetes then you understand how horrible this stuff is. An A1C that averages 5.4 for the past 12 years and yet I still deal w/ the stuff of suffering from this as if I hadn't taken care of it at all. Add in PTSD and very little sleep, w/ horrifying nightmares... yeah, you get the idea.

Music is a lifeline... I thank God everyday for it.

9. seanskull92

seanskull92 Strat-Talker

anxiety and depression. xanax before bed seems to help even thru the next day.

10. capt_goodvibes

capt_goodvibes Senior Stratmaster

YouTube - Lou Reed : Magic & Loss 05 Magician (Internally)

Magician, Magician
    take me upon your wings, and
    gently roll the clouds away

I'm sorry, so sorry
    I have no incantations
    only words to help sweep me away

I want some magic to sweep me away
    I want to count to five
    turn around and find myself gone
    Fly through the storm
    and wake up in the calm

Release me from this body
    from this bulk that moves beside me
    Let me leave this body far away

I'm sick of looking at me
    I hate this painful body
    that disease has slowly worm away

Magician take my spirit
    inside I'm young and vital
    Inside I'm alive, please take me away

So many things to do, it's too early
    for my life to be ending
    For this body, to simply rot away

I want some magic to keep me alive
    I want a miracle, I don't want to die
    I'm afraid that if I go to sleep I'll never wake
    I'll no longer exist
    I'll close my eyes and disappear
    and float into the mist

Somebody, please hear me
    my hand can't hold a cup of coffee
    My fingers are weak, things just fall away

Inside I'm young and pretty
    too many things unfinished
    My very breath taken away

Doctor you're no magician
    and I am no believer
    I need more than faith can give me now

I want to believe in miracles
    not just belief in numbers
    I need some magic to take me away

Visit on this starlit night
    replace the stars the moon the light, the sun's gone
    Fly me through this storm
    and wake up in the calm
    I fly right through this storm
    and I wake, up, in, the, calm

SOL Guitars
    www.solguitars.net

[​IMG]

11. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member

I used to have issues with depression I suppose......but, I honestly feel that God and true love saved me from myself and got my mind and heart back on track. The last three years have been completely life-changing, and I am by far the healthiest I've ever been. Challenges will always come and go like seasons, but I am finally happy to have this chance at life.

12. Dewey

Dewey Most Honored Senior Member

Good stuff Tony!

13. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

Voodoo Child,
    I'm very sorry about the bad luck that's come your way. I have the utmost respect for you that you've kept going through all that. Although it sounds like you have been dealing with a whole lot of hell for years and years, I truly hope you've also had periods or moments of happiness and joy. Keep your chin up.

14. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

I pretty much agree with everything you said here but I bolded the parts that resonated. I've had insomnia for so many years and that's it exactly, I can't shut my brain off, so I just lay there thinking about stuff. No one's ever really gotten that or put it so simply in words. I'm glad it's not just me.

Also agreed on the internet being pretty cool in the sense that like this message board we get the chance to talk with people we normally wouldn't.

Voodoo Child, that's crazy that the US Post Office put you through all that. That would drive a person nuts.

15. scotzoid

scotzoid Senior Stratmaster

You know, they don't call it "going postal" for nothing...

16. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I probably don't belong on this thread. I'm sometimes convinced i'm the lamest person on earth. I just have to "get over it" somethimes. I wish there was a pill for confidence.

17. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

I suffered from agonizing, crippling insomnia for several years. it ruined my last two years of college. it also led me to start drinking lots of hard liquor in a vain attempt to turn my mind off so i could sleep. turns out it was caused by my depression. it totally went away once i got on meds. i've had about 3 nights of insomnia in the past 15 years. my head hits the pillow and i am out within a few minutes. if that was the ONLY benefit of anti-depressants, that alone would keep me on them. insomnia SUCKS.

18. Dewey

Dewey Most Honored Senior Member

I can relate to that Amstratnut!

19. Atmarama

Atmarama Strat-Talker

Society as we know it is not at all aimed towards finding lasting peace and satisfaction. It is unashamedly geared towards instant temporary gratification which does absolutely nothing to satisfy the inner yearnings of the soul. This kind of society will naturally lead to innumerable problems, depression being just one.

Actually any right thinking person should be quite thoughtful and not a little concerned about life as we know it. We should be asking the ultimate questions - Who am I? - What is it all about? etc. If we cease to question these vital points we are living just as the animals, with no thought about the nature of reality - just going about trying to get the most sense gratification possible.

Actually this is what we see society doing. And those who see through the hoax and question it, becoming concerned or depressed (depression arises when you can tell/see something is wrong, but feel powerless to fix it), are told "chin up" "take these pills" "just try enjoy" etc. Basically just forget about these problems you see, because I also don't know the answers.

But they are LEGITIMATE questions! Why are we all going to die? Why do we suffer? Do we think it is random? Some suffer and some enjoy just at random? No. Everything we experience in this material realm is due to our past activities (Karma, or "As you sow, so shall you reap").

In the Bhagavad Gita it explains "For the Soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He is not slain when the body is slain". The soul is different to the body. The body is like our clothes, they become old, and eventually get thrown away. But the soul is the real person. The soul is unchanging. The body is the temporary vehicle that we have, but the soul is the driver.

We feed and look after the body as if it is our real self. Depression is the result of neglecting the needs of the soul. It is natures way of making us wake up. But we are so anti nature in this modern age, we invent some pills to make us forget...