How many of us here don’t own an American Fender or Gibson? And how many of us do, but won’t play them in bars?

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
1 - The Texas Tea Ultra Strat SSS.

I have three S type Ibanez that are very nice and an SG type and an S type from somewhere in the far east. The country of origin isn't labeled. I play all of them on a regular basis. I wouldn't part with any of them except to gift them to my son or some of my grand children that might play someday.

I'm too old to go out much....

Old Guy

Strat-Talker
Aug 8, 2018
Calif.
No Gibson anymore. No Fender. Gave my Country Western to my son. Got Martin D15, Epi LP Studio (2014), Glen Burton 775 and Mitchell T331, the latter two modified.

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
I don’t own a US fender anymore. But when I did, I think I only gigged one of them once or so.

I sold them, because they had good resale value, and my cheaper guitars did everything just as well.

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
I did just buy a 2017 Fender American Special Strat at a fair price used. I bought that one specifically to play at the bars. It checked all the boxes, and bought it from a friend.

unionjack515

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 3, 2011
Batavia, Illinois
I am not afraid to gig any of my guitars. Perhaps I’m naive about thievery or I’ve just had 25 years of good luck…or both.

As for mishaps…I’ve had far more at home, for which I was to blame for probably 95% of. Pros have big fancy road cases backstage with a pro handing them instruments for a change. Until I can afford that luxury, I don’t keep more than one guitar out of its case at a time…the one I’m playing. If I need an alternate-tuned guitar, an acoustic or a backup, I put one away and take the other from its case. I’ve had zero (ZERO) damage to guitars at gigs.

Chuck8436

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2017
Texas
About 99 percent of the gigs that I've played in my short life have been with a Gibson SG in my hands. I may end up joining a band that a friend of mine is starting, and you're darn tootin' I'll be gigging with an SG again. It's not that it's light weight, I can handle gigging with a heavy guitar, though the weight is a bonus. I just love SGs. The sound, the look, the feel. People that I used to play with and people that used to see me play, still associate me with an SG, and I like that. My buddy actually specifically asked my to play my SG in the band he's forming, while he plays his strat. Anyway, don't mean to ramble about it, you get the point. I thought it was cool that you listed an SG as one of your essentials, Bolt.

Chuck8436

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2017
Texas
I am not afraid to gig any of my guitars. Perhaps I’m naive about thievery or I’ve just had 25 years of good luck…or both.

As for mishaps…I’ve had far more at home, for which I was to blame for probably 95% of. Pros have big fancy road cases backstage with a pro handing them instruments for a change. Until I can afford that luxury, I don’t keep more than one guitar out of its case at a time…the one I’m playing. If I need an alternate-tuned guitar, an acoustic or a backup, I put one away and take the other from its case. I’ve had zero (ZERO) damage to guitars at gigs.
I have and still do sometimes worry about people eyeballing my guitars in that way, but the way I see it, most people out at bars (where I'm from) can't tell when you have a fancy guitar. To the random patrons, a guitar is a guitar. That and if I have my nice guitar with me, it isn't home alone, which I feel is riskier.
I have banged a headstock on a cymbal stand, though.

Mr Jagsquire

Strat-O-Master
Sep 26, 2020
Berkshire
I've played my Gibson 60s Tribute LP in bars before. Granted it's not the more expensive model, but it is MIA. I'll also be playing my MIA Rickenbacker in a bar in a few weeks time...no point buying it to keep it locked up at home. I've gigged with my Gibson SG Standard too, though they were private parties rather than bars. Open mic.jpg

Mr Jagsquire

Strat-O-Master
Sep 26, 2020
Berkshire
If I ever play out again, I'll take my stuff, but I'm going to be WAAAAAY more careful with it, particularly loading/unloading. A good argument for taking only what you can carry in one trip!
I need to get to this point too: I'm just about to go out to a gig tonight and I know it'll take me at least three trips to my car and back each way. I have a saloon car (sedan?) so I lock it in there during each trip, the rest of the band are usually inside still breaking down their gear.

Chuck8436

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2017
Texas
If I ever play out again, I'll take my stuff, but I'm going to be WAAAAAY more careful with it, particularly loading/unloading. A good argument for taking only what you can carry in one trip!
In the last band I was in, we always had one friend hanging out next to the gear we hadn't unloaded yet, and another next to the gear we had already unloaded

Last edited:

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
To be fair about it, today's bars don't resemble the one's I envision from the 70's & 80's, even 90's when smoking was allowed. That eliminates that aspect of instrument damage. The rock & roll bars I remember had elevated stages for the live music and any stumbling drunks were kept at least a couple of feet below the equipment. Knocking over a guitar or amp was self-inflicted damage. I don't know what the crime rate was for stolen gear off the stage during a set break either. A beater USA Fender or Gibson guitar probably is no less secure & safer than a $ 100-ish Chinese Sawtooth. Other live music festivals & events (for example Bike Weeks in FL or whatever the local event may be). Those are going to be controlled stages for the performers, at the least security guards.

Palm Coast has an annual songwriter's festival happening next weekend to end April & begin May. But that's primarily acoustic guitars. Looking forward to that event. They kick it off every year at the European Village Marketplace. Been to all 4 of them, 2020 was actually a virtual festival obviously.