Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How many of you gig?

Discussion in 'Bands on the Run' started by jak_E_lee, Aug 25, 2017.

1. jak_E_lee

jak_E_lee Strat-Talk Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Northern Ireland
    Yet..and I'm near 45 youngest is 7 too.

Yes,a 2 piece it is!
    I think this will run much more smoothly
    If after a year we go well,we want to push into a full live band doing weddings along with the 2 piece but we will bring in a drummer and bassist,not as band members but pay them well for every wedding they play,kinda like hiring them per gig,just look after them well with money to keep them onboard.
    It will always be me and the singer pulling the strings as its gonna be our baby

2. 2-Finger

2-Finger Strat-O-Master

Aug 16, 2016
    Brussels, Belgium
    You win! :p

3. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    If these guys would learn the songs we could be gigging tomorrow.

4. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Thinking about joining a pub band. Strat-Talk Supporter

I played in a punk band from 79 to 83 brilliant amazing times regular gigs supported The Alarm I think we where better on the night that was the peak we where a 5 piece I was on bass I was practicing religiously if we would have made it I don't think I would be here to tell the tale.

Had a big break then got back into my guitars a good few years later if I had the time to practice and play I would like to make up a little pub band maybe in a few years.

I meant 4 piece.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    mshivy and stratobiker like this.

5. avri70

avri70 Strat-Talker

May 29, 2014
    planet earth
    What was the name of that punk band?

6. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Thinking about joining a pub band. Strat-Talk Supporter

The Vots then changed to Justice Multi Fury.

2-Finger likes this.

7. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    @jak_E_lee Has your duo gotten off the ground?

8. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    I played my first gig in 1972, and just recently took a break from performing.

I've played all sorts of venues, from behind chicken wire to symphony halls.

Last 5 years I did a lot of solo gigs, me and a looping pedal.

Currently I am on hiatus.

Stark, mshivy and Electgumbo like this.

9. Xcaster

Xcaster Strat-Talker

Aug 28, 2015
    Houston we have a problem !
    I have played in bands since 79' the band im in now it has been 25 years or so all musicians have remained the same, Drummer left for about 10 years raising kids. Singers have been about 3 but original has been back for last year or so. we play Classic rock 70's - 90's with a few country songs. I am the Lead Guitarist and love playing live 2nd guitarist is pretty good too so we do some twin lead stuff Thin Lizzy & Bad Company and others. Houston has lots of places to play and we get paid for covers here, unlike other places where they think your going to be famous so you should be glad that let you play there.

circles and stratobiker like this.

10. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Getting a classic rock garage band together bit by bit. We still need a drummer and a singer. I'm not sure how committed everyone is but we have some very good players and chemistry so if we can focus enough to get a repertoire together and find a good drummer and singer, we'll be the biggest bar band in the county!

We have two guitars, and me and the other guy complement each other. He plays beautiful melodic chord stuff, I'm unhinged and sloppy but fiery. We could get a real yin yang kind of thing going. Oh and we need a name.

11. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    I have played in bands since the late 70s.
    Since I moved to France and semi-retired in 2007 I have been gigging more than ever.
    I was in a Franco/Anglais heavy rock band for a while.
    I started a monthly Jazz n Blues Club in 2013, and it's still going strong.
    I also play in a Jazz Trio - double bass, guitar, singer.
    I do the occasional dep, and collaboration.
    Gear wise,I'll just use a blues jr, or Marshall combo, a Strat and or a Tele.
    I do like way, OD, echo, and reverb....just not all the time.

12. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    @Artunes ..... did you get the gig?

@garyhoos1 - don't leave it too long.....sooner the better!

garyhoos1 likes this.

13. Artunes

Artunes Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Oshkosh B'Gosh

14. Chrissomebody

Chrissomebody Strat-Talker

Jun 20, 2017
    North Carolina
    i regularly put on shows for my wife and kids. they pay me with free dinners and hugs.

Hairy Bear, circles, xland and 4 others like this.

15. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    May as well join in...interesting how the thread revived :).

I've been playing guitar for over 30 years :eek: and through all of those years I always wanted to play out. In high school my friends and I had a band, but I had to leave the band before they started gigging. In my 30's I played in the church choir. Almost 4 years ago I joined the "adult rock band" program at a local music shop. After doing that we gave it a go as a "real band", but it didn't work out.

That led up to 2 years ago hooking up with a guy from the church choir to gig as a duo. We've played over 50 gigs already. He sings and strums the acoustic guitar, I play electric rhythm/lead. It was never a band configuration I had ever considered but it's worked out great. With him retiring soon, I auditioned for a 5 piece band as the sole guitarist. I've been working hard with them and we have our first gig on Sept. 30th. So at the moment I'm in 2 gigging bands...never ever imagined that would happen.

Gigging forces me to expand my playing and learn songs I would never learn on my own. It is great fun and I feel so lucky to be doing it.

mshivy, Stratoskater and liltimmy like this.

16. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

Agreed. I like that there are no second chances at a gig. Also you never really know who is watching you or how a night will go so there is a surprise element. Being put on the spot for vocalw, rhythm, and solos is great dues paying for your overall abilities. In smaller groups with lots of improvising it forces you to dig deep and be extra creative. I have had a pretty heavy schedule since july and there are times when I run out of ideas and everything sounds stale. The fun challenge is just pushing through those moments to get some new stuff happening. You gotta go out on a limb and risk falling but when you make it happen it is very rewarding. With time and experience falling flat happens very little because a good live improviser learns to make a quick save.

I been learning more and more to tune out everything and just play. There are many headaches and hassles, you just have to forget them and remember what you are really there to do. It can be easy to blame this or that for lackluster moments, but you have to expel excuses from your spirit and do your best with what you have to work with. Feel very fortunate to be making some sweet moolah this way right now. I wanna buy a new guitar with the proceeds of my labors...

mshivy and BallisticSquid like this.

17. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Interesting you should mention the "fun challenge of pushing...". I was telling my wife the other day how I found myself playing the same solo in various songs with similar chord progressions...and it was getting old. Something I've started to do is purposely do something different. I will hear that I'm starting to play one of my common licks, and instead of ending on sliding up to a note, I'll slide back. I purposely put myself in an unfamiliar spot...and then fight my way out of it. I may jump to a position I don't normally use. Inevitably I end up in some new territory. With something repetitive, I will mentally vow not to play the lick the same way each time. That gets interesting too.

You can play interesting little mental games with yourself.

liltimmy likes this.

18. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    In 1983 at the ripe old age of 18 I went on tour with a signed R&B / Rock group made up of guys who were in their late twenties. Talk about an education! :eek: :D
    After two years of that, I got back to my Metal roots and stayed there.

I recorded and toured from 1983 through the late 90's. I had a lot of fun, went a lot of places and met a lot of people. I also developed some bad habits and health, and assured myself of a lousy Government retirement check. Aside from that, I have no regrets. :cool:

After a decade plus long hiatus from the "biz", I am studio only these days.

Although, I have a friend of a friend who keeps hinting she wants me to duo with her on her coffee house gigs. But eh, time will tell.

circles, duzie, mshivy and 1 other person like this.

19. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talker

Sep 8, 2017
    Cleveland
    I'm not good enough to gig

circles likes this.

20. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Strat-O-Master

Sep 11, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    If you count playing in a praise and worship band at church, I 'gig' once a week.

BallisticSquid likes this.