How many of you have bought up from another strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by pickleweed, Mar 1, 2021.

1. pickleweed

pickleweed Strat-Talk Member

Yea man. all the bedrooms in this house are filled with people, my wife and i are now working from home and our "offices" are about 3 feet from one another, and in the kids playroom. the struggle is real lol. truth be told i could stick it in a case in the garage, but its part that, part negotiation with said wife as there are four other guitars strewn about. yup. im one of those guys.

2. pickleweed

Believe me, its not lost on me that the AO is seemingly a more expensive guitar for "less or outdated" features. But i do think im a vintage guy so to speak. i actually like some of the features on the ampro, but it just didnt sound as good from all the demos ive seen. and ive seen em all lol. Not into the radius or the noiseless pickups on the ultras though.

3. TimJ

TimJ Strat-O-Master

I started with MIA and bought several MIMs (and other MIAs) from there. I don't consider the (mid level, Deluxe and Deluxe Roadhouses) MIMs that I own to be "downgrades" necessarily.

I guess the point is always, don't look at the "made in..." label, play the guitar.

runningonempty and Stratman84 like this.
  4. CattleDog73

CattleDog73 Strat-Talker

I wouldn’t consider them less or outdated, just different from modern Strats. I like a chunky neck and considered an AO 60’s for a while and thought they were quite good, but I ended up with a Silver Sky that I personally preferred for both the neck and pickups. I also have an Ultra HSS that I love but it is a different overall experience from something vintage flavored.

Up to you about what you think in terms of is it worth it or not. There’s a lot of strong opinions around here that are firmly opposite of each other (just glance through the MIA vs MIM thread). If you have the budget and an Original is what makes you love to play - get it. If you’re not sure, give it time - they’re not discontinued or anything.

5. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

Hm, then I would say go for the american original.

For the money, I must say this is a heck of a guitar, excellent fit and finish and awesome fretwork.
    I've owned a 1961 reissue from custom shop... and dare to say this one is not that much worse for 3/5 of the price.

Also, welcome to the forum!

6. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

I have a Korean Strat that I bought for the express purpose of upgrading and trying new things on. I bought it to be a test-bed if you will. I have learned a lot over the years using this approach. I've tried a lot of products I might not have tried otherwise out of concern over irreversible mods to an expensive guitar. That Korean guitar is now pretty much peaked out. It's at the top of its game. I don't think there are any options left to improve it that wouldn't require some serious reconstructive surgery. When I play it I can see and hear and feel the improvements I've made. It still does not feel or play as well as the American Deluxe I recently sold, despite a meticulous setup and top shelf parts.

MHO
    YMMV

runningonempty likes this.
  7. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-Talker

I never did except when my parents bought me my first guitar at age 14 I think. It was a cheap Woolworth's acoustic. When I actually bought my first, It was a 94 Strat Ultra. Then it was LP Std with white piping and so on and so on. I always preferred to save up and buy the absolute best rather than settle. But that's just me.

runningonempty likes this.
  8. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Jack Pearson plays Squires.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

This is a common topic.

There is the logo and the MIA note on it. For some this is very important and that is ok.
    Just like people have to carry an Apple phone, wear Levi Jeans, and drink Starbucks. You get to be part of that tribe. Others don't care about any of that, perhaps even taking another path entirely.

The law of diminishing returns kicks in right at the MIM models. They are quite good. But you are paying more for the feeling of carrying around a certain MIA product brand than the performance differences as you go up in price.

Often this shows up with hurried threads revealing a buyer caught in the web of doubt "I just paid for this very expensive guitar and it arrived with this scratch" blurry images and toes pictures follow, "What should I do? Should I send it back?" you can hear the panting. "It otherwise sounds great." Usually that means the buyer over spent seeking that new and best upgrade and buyer's remorse is kicking them in the gut.

Factory marketing teams spend all day trying to figure out what people will pay and how to extract just a little more profit from buyers. If they put gold hardware on a guitar or a new color will that encourage buyers to spend fifty more dollars? They test models, pare and add, every day they work on this. How close or how far apart should the MIM price be from MIA? As a buyer you have little chance to defeat this process. You don't buy the product every day and analyze emotions tied to purchases. They do.

Once you have the MIM and upgrade to the MIA ... then you are looking at the next leg of the ladder, should you go for the 'Ultra'? Something with 'original' in the title? Will that be better? Or get a, should we even whisper the suggestion, a Custom Shop guitar? And then there are Vintage guitars out there. Ten and twenty thousand dollar player grade instruments that everyone says play so fantastic that you just have to try them! But, perhaps we should stop before getting the credit card in trouble, it's only 21% interest to pay that off.

jaygold14 likes this.
  10. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Lol, I downgraded over the years. From MIA to MIM now I like my Squiers, really one bullet and Squier necks on partscasters... Go figure.

Bob the builder likes this.
  11. Siameser

Siameser Strat-Talk Member

Have moved up, down, sideways, and up some more. Currently playing sunburst American Pro II, maple fingerboard.

12. pickleweed

For sure. i get the differences between MIA and MIM are mostly labor costs, some electronic bits and a hardshell case. im not pretending there is some magic mojo in it cause some guy is in california and not ensanada. but i will attest to the fact that the originals have sounded better in every demo and comparison ive heard. whether that comes down to the nitro, or the difference in truss rod or neck profile....i cant say for sure. all i can say is that the end result seems like an upgrade. ive no doubt my current mim outclasses a stock MIA for my purposes given what ive put into it.

id like to think im not buying into marketing hype, but i cant say for sure whether im just falling victim to blanket consumerism. lol

13. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

I have upgraded the bits that matter to me at the time.

Usually pretty things... like "I love this body, but don't like the colour of the pickguard". Or "I don't like these pickups" or "Zebra humbuckers don't work for me on this guitar, let's put some covers on it".

But when I was given the opportunity to get a Jim Root MIA neck, I grabbed it and put it on my #1 Strat - a 2014 MIM Lone Star. Then built a new Strat around the take-off neck. There was nothing wrong with it (ok... the high-E nut slot had been cut too wide by a previous owner meaning bending on the first few frets causes it to pop out... but that's a future project...), it's just the Root Neck was better.

I have no desire to own a Jim Root Strat*, so selling the Lone Star to buy one wouldn't have been an upgrade.

* ok... completely not true... I just can't justify that expense at the moment given there are three other HH guitars in my collection... but if a White/Maple Root model popped up for sale I'd be all over it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  14. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

I don’t look at strats and think upgrade or downgrade, I just go by what makes me happy. Different is the word that comes to mind.

Do what makes you feel good and it is good :)

15. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

I don't have much to add – other than to say... I have an American Pro – AND an American Original 50s, and whilst I haven't played a tonne of expensive guitars (I've played only a few) – I can say in all honesty, that the AO is the best guitar I've ever played.

Now... the Pro is a FANTASTIC guitar – but the Original, the Original is just... FANTASTIC-ER :) !

16. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I have. I used to have a MIM HSS Strat (when I bought it, it was called a "Standard Fat Strat"); I initially replaced the 2 single-coil pickups with a pair of Kinman hum-canceling pickups and then didn't think much about things after that. I enjoyed the guitar and thought it was decent. I had also played at least one higher-end US-made Strat, and although they were definitely nice guitars, it seemed hard to feel an actual difference in my hands. Different Strats feel different though. For a short period of time, I had a 2013 American Deluxe Strat that was one of the most comfortable Strats I had played - I liked the neck and its weight. I wasn't crazy about the sound though, so I sold it. I eventually decided I wanted a partscaster and bought US-made parts for that. I also have a US-made G&L Comanche, which I think is a great guitar. But, I still think it can be difficult to feel a difference in your hands. I imagine a lower-end model might feel very good to you, as with a higher-end model.

17. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

Well, my first Strat was a 1986 AVRI 57 Mary Kaye ($650 in '86). And while that guitar is awsome, I have added 9 more to the family, mostly AVRI, but also with a couple of recent Standards, a EJ and a EC. I'm just not seeing anything on the current market that can touch any of those. So, I'm good.

18. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

I should have stayed with one but wasted time chasing them all.. it sure is fun as hill but not necessary.

19. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I did. 1st Strat was a MIM in summer of 91. Played it till 2011 when I got a MIA Std. The two CS, three EJ and finally the ultimate upgrade, February 2020 I got a Silver Sky and the search ended.

20. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

I guess I traded 'down', having owned two American Standards, but now own a MIM. :(