How many of you have changed the neck on your Favorite Strat (or any guitar)?

Have you ever have changed the neck on your Favorite Strat (or any guitar)?

• 1) Never, I always like the neck it comes with.

Votes: 66 44.0%
  • 2) Many times.

Votes: 84 56.0%

• Total voters

Dreamdancer

Senior Stratmaster
May 1, 2014
Greece
Almost never for two reasons....

First is cause after a while i ll start losing track of parts or mod them just enough that would not be a good resale for the next guy

and

Second(and most important)...the neck that the guitar comes with, almost never needs an upgrade, minus the parts that reside on it....fretwire,nut,tuners...so thats why instead of trying to find a third party great neck and bolt it on the body,i keep the original neck but i install big SS frets,new nut,new tuners,(sometimes a new finish),rolling the fretboard edges a bit etc etc etc...after all that,it is literally a new neck and the best part is that the guitar is still considered original...

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Almost never for two reasons....

First is cause after a while i ll start losing track of parts or mod them just enough that would not be a good resale for the next guy

and

Second(and most important)...the neck that the guitar comes with, almost never needs an upgrade, minus the parts that reside on it....fretwire,nut,tuners...so thats why instead of trying to find a third party great neck and bolt it on the body,i keep the original neck but i install big SS frets,new nut,new tuners,(sometimes a new finish),rolling the fretboard edges a bit etc etc etc...after all that,it is literally a new neck and the best part is that the guitar is still considered original...
But what if you love the rest of the guitar but want a fatter neck? I think most folks change necks for the carve first and color second. You are not going to make a thin neck fat and vice versa. Also I am a 70s fat headstock fan.

Dreamdancer

Senior Stratmaster
May 1, 2014
Greece
But what if you love the rest of the guitar but want a fatter neck? I think most folks change necks for the carve first and color second. You are not going to make a thin neck fat and vice versa. Also I am a 70s fat headstock fan.

Thats understandable but to your point if i dont like the feel of the neck i dont buy the whole guitar in the first place......also if iam picky and particular about a lot of things its better not to buy an X logo guitar from the Y manufacturer anyway but instead buy the whole set(body and neck) from a third party builder one(lets say warmoth) or like i did in some cases,handbuilt it myself and get what i want to the T.

My point is that the wood on inexpensive guitars is not inferior to its more expensive counterparts, it just has inferior metallic parts that you can change and it immediately becomes a great neck;).

Last edited:

Higgins1980

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
Never had too. My American standard has a neck smooth as butter. My partscaster isn’t worth enough to change the neck on it though for a cheapo Indonesian made instrument the neck is actually pretty nice. And I m a sucker for the oversized ‘70s headstock.

RaySachs

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2017
Philly area
You definitely need an option between never and all the time. I’ve only done it once, but it’s on my current strat and it made a fine guitar into my favorite guitar. I have a Robert Cray hardtail - I loved it with its original neck, I love it far more with a chunky soft-V with a maple fretboard that’s on it now. It’s taken on Strats costing waaaaay more than it did - they’re all gone and the Cray is still my #1 electric.

-Ray

train

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 22, 2015
Usa.
I’ve been lucky , had a les Paul , head broke , never had a broken fender neck or wore out the fretboard. If I would come across a neck like a 57 fatty. I would sell the whole guitar.

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I may not be able to make a thin neck fat but I've made plenty fat necks thin with no problems at all.

stratocarlster

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 6, 2012
Telephone Road
Never or many times? Great poll :confused::p
Here's why I changed a neck. I bought a classic series 50s Strat for an absolute song ... Took me a few weeks to figure out that I didn't get along with the V neck. As luck would have it a gorgeous 80s MIJ neck popped up on gumtree. So that's now on the Strat and the CS50s neck is on a partscaster I built for my brother. That was nearly 10 years ago! Strangely enough I haven't had the urge to build (well, assemble) another guitar even though it worked out really well.

RadioFM74

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 5, 2016
Italy and Switzerland
It's not that I "always like the neck" a guitar comes with by happenstance. I choose them based on whether I like the neck as my #1 criterion. So swapping necks is a problem than does not arise unless something breaks (hopefully not… )

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

I swapped necks on my first Strat -- That Strat taught me how to mod guitars because there was a lot of issues with it. Modding lead to building.

So that guitar was the most expensive purchase of the whole fleet I have.

davidd47

Strat-Talker
Sep 11, 2012
non ya
It's a tool to convey emotion, that's it. I have zero concern about originality, resale or provenance. So I will change/hack any part on any guitar for whatever reason I choose is best to get the job done. Last guitar I bought a 2010 '59 Todd Krause Masterbuilt was parted and all I have left is a neck that was then paired with a real 59 body. OMG the HORROR! So I bought it for the neck. The original 59 neck was toast. Guitars around here go into a meat grinder and sometimes never make it out the other end as a whole guitar again. Been going on since the 70s. Need proof? Yes that is a 63 Strat neck sitting right there on top waiting for a match. No nothing is for sale. IMG_0770.jpg IMG_0374.jpg

Agtronic

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 3, 2017
Montreal
I never realized how much people tinker with their guitars until I joined this forum. I've only ever owned one Strat, a '99 American Standard that I have played every day since 2000, and it never occurred to me to want to change anything on it. Only recently, now that the frets are so worn the guitar is virtually unplayable, have I started to think about what to do with it.

I have other guitars, but I tend to just take guitars as they are and play them. Even with 30+ years playing guitar, I still don't really have a neck preference. I have some guitars with super thin necks, some with baseball bat necks, different woods etc, I can't say I prefer one over another. They all just feel different and put me in different playing "modes".

gentlyweeping

Strat-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 1, 2013
Apple Valley ,MN
I switched necks between two Strats once and was really pleased with the results. ended up with a very lively and resonant guitar. Just lucky though.
Now I have an AM Pro I'm selling because I just can't bond with it. I prefer the 'modern C' feel as opposed to this 'deep C' neck on the Pro.
Seriously considering ordering a Player series neck (modern C) to put on the Pro and selling the Pro neck to finance the switch. Never been concerned with keeping things original as I buy to play not to resell.