How many of you own a Fender Jaguar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by donnyjinkens, Mar 2, 2010.

1. donnyjinkens

donnyjinkens Strat-Talker

I recently got a good deal on a MIM classic player jaguar. I'm a strat guy. always have been, always will be; but, there is a special place in my heart for jaguars. I have always wanted a fender jaguar but never had the money until recently. Everyone says that they'r crap, but I new if I got one I would love it; so, i finally bought one and it's sweet!

Within the first day of owning the guitar I swapped out the pickups, not because the stock pickups were bad, but because I can't leave anything alone. The stock pickups actually sounded really good, they were ridiculously hot though. They were wound some-ware around 15k! So, i put in some fender 62 reissue jaguar pickups. Now this guitar paired with my 65 reissue twin reverb is surf rock heaven.

I really love the 24" scale length. It's so easy to play and just feels unique. I also changed the strings from the factory installed .9's to .11's. The .9's that were on the guitar really had no business being there, just not enough tension.

So, what I just took way too many words to say is - Who else owns a fender jaguar?

dirtyclinic likes this.
  2. Dice

Dice Strat-O-Master

I have several 24" scale guitars, and I love them all.

My Jaguar is a 1965, and is among my favorite guitars.

Who is "everyone" that is telling you they are crap? I don't think that this is the general consensus.

I even gig the old girl...

[​IMG]

3. eljayski

eljayski Strat-Talker

i've got a jag

and a jazzer, too.

[​IMG]

i have a special fondness for 3tsb/tort/rw !

sophie, on the couch, has a fondness for comfort.

4. gaddis

gaddis Senior Stratmaster

I don't own one but I wouldn't mind having one. Choosing between a Jaguar and a Jazzmaster, I chose the Jazzmaster. I think Jaguars are very cool, just the same.

5. NorthShore

NorthShore Senior Stratmaster

Can one of you guys explain the differences between Jaguar and Jazzmaster? They share the same body, obviously, but what's different?

6. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

I don't own one, but have played one that a friend owns. They are really cool. Love the trem bar setup. Way more "surfier" than the Strat's vintage style. Easier to bend notes due to scale length. Love to have one.

7. DKoor

DKoor Strat-O-Master

Scale difference is most notable.

8. eljayski

eljayski Strat-Talker

but pickups and circuitry are different, as well.

jag sound is unique, approached, but not duplicated, by teles. jazzmaster sound is unique to jazzmaster, imo, but distinctly fender, nonetheless.

and . . . the bodies are not identical (albeit very similar). somewhere on the internet is a graphic comparison of jag vs. jazzmaster bodies that shows the differences. i couldn't find it quickly to reference to here.

update: found a link, http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?p=250360

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  9. O)))

O))) Banned

Jaguars are bright and Jazzmasters are noticeably darker. They were originally made to compete in the Jazz market. I'd love to have one with a fixed bridge.

10. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I wish you wouldn't have posted this picture... Now I'm going to start GASing for a Jag...

11. eljayski

eljayski Strat-Talker

you have my full permission and encouragement :D

12. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, I had to go looking for lefties. Sure enough, my favorite Japanese website has tons of Jags, Jazzmasters and... Mustangs. The Mustangs are getting to me as well. Just when I get my credit card paid off this kind of GAS comes around.

My tax return is coming soon though... :twisted:

13. Dice

Dice Strat-O-Master

I like my Mustang well enough, but those switches are in a terrible location and really cramp my picking style - not the mention, the trem sucks balls (regarding stability - I converted mine to hard tail). I prefer the single pickup MusicMaster to the Mustang. To be honest, the MusicMaster is my favorite Fender guitar of all time. Simple, comfortable, and killer tone out of one pickup. Kind of the same vein as the Gibson Les Paul Junior. Lots of guitar in a small simple package. I'm actually in the process of resurrecting another MusicMaster - it has the shorter 22.5" scale neck, though. Worthless for live/gigging, but perfect for lounging and playing.

[​IMG]

14. Donovan

Donovan Strat-Talker

Those are some cool axes in the photos.

I don't own one, but would someday like one each of the Jaguar, the Jazzmaster, and the Mustang. All 3 of those have some similar coolness vibe to me.

15. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Senior Stratmaster

Ohhh.. now you guys are speaking my language. Over the past year or so I have become facinated with Fender offsets. Jaguars in particular, but most recently I bought a well-loved '65 Musicmaster II and love it to death for the reasons mentioned above. Here are a few pics to get your Jaguar/Musicmaster GAS going...

My first Jag, Refinished early '64:

[​IMG]

one owner pre CBS L series '65, never apart:

[​IMG]

CBS '66, "dots 'n binding", Foam Green with matching headstock:

[​IMG]

late '65, Firemist Gold, matching headstock

[​IMG]

Lone Woof likes this.
  16. joeybsyc

Finally, my newest offset purchase, real "road worn" '65 Musicmaster. Believe it or not, this is the original Olympic White, with 40 years of wear, smoke, and "mojo"... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Dice

Dice Strat-O-Master

Dammit Joey, I could have saved you some money on that MusicMaster. :neutral:

(I was the poor schmuck bidding against you!!!!!!) :eek:

At least, I'm 99% certain that was the same guitar. I think I capped at $750 (Errr... edit - I capped at $635!!!) and you beat me by $5 or something like that. I REALLY considered upping the bid... and have been kicking my own arse for not having done so. Knowing that it went to a fellow offset lover makes it all a bit easier to cope with, though!

18. joeybsyc

haha... I think I did ok on it anyhow.:) I didn't even know what it was worth, but I knew it was gonna be mine if I could get it! You missed a great one, I have barely sat it down since I got it.

19. Dice

Dice Strat-O-Master

Yikes. I was off by over a hundred. Now I REALLY wish I would have kept up on that auction!!

Congrats on a GREAT score, buddy.

eBay - VINTAGE 1965 Fender Musicmaster II Electric Guitar - item 370332754086

20. Dice

Dice Strat-O-Master

Again, congrats. Even with me driving the bid up on you, you got a GREAT deal. I could/would/should have fought you on up to at least $750 on it! :D I'm glad that I didn't. Enjoy that MM - they are great guitars.

If you ever decide to sell it, please, hit me up.