How much could I expect to pay to get a new nut installed on my neck?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by nickmsmith, Sep 18, 2020.

1. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Hello @nickmsmith … I got here too late! I was about to write "before you disassemble the guitar, reset the neck, start putting stuff in the pocket when maybe it's not warranted, yada yada … it can TOTALLY be a badly cut nut". It's what I had with my Baja 60s. And shimming the neck side to side does not sound all that good!

My 2 cents: take her to a good tech and if called for have a GOOD bone nut installed and properly cut. I'm totally with @Buzzin_Cousin there. I had it done by my local luthier for around 20€, and it would have been worth it even if he had made me pay 80$. Best upgrade I've made.

Again, your guitar, your decision and most definitely YMMV

himijendrix and nickmsmith like this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

MIM nuts are often cut badly. It should cost around one hour of your tech's labour charge plus a nut blank, so probably around $80.

nickmsmith likes this.
  3. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Your guitar is a fender mexico and not some weird breed from asia so you can get exactly the part you need made for your guitar....if i were you..i would take two preslotted tusq nuts and just learn to do it....not even caring if i destroy the first one......in any case you are doing nothing destructive to the guitar...if it fails miserably then take it to a tech and no harm done..you would be out 10 to 20 bucks more....

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    spinifex, Mansonienne and nickmsmith like this.
  4. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    I installed a pre-cut bone nut and bridge on one of my acoustics myself. The tricky part is finding the right nut.

5. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

I installed my own graphtech tusq nut and ended up having issues with the b&e slots ringing. I ended up sending that one back and every other nut from them had the same issue.

So, I bought the thinnest nut slotting file from Stewmac and fixed it in about 5 minutes. I think I owned my (1st) guitar about 6 or 8 weeks at the time. If I could do it after owning a guitar for 6-8 weeks, you can too.

Mansonienne and nickmsmith like this.
  6. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

really isn’t difficult with a pre-cut nut. Some of the intonation is determined by the distance between the back of the slot and the first fret. Any pre-cut nut will either be vertical on one or both sides - if it isn’t then either buy one that is, or sand the face pointing to the bridge flat before trying to fit. Once THAT face is flat then gradually remove material from the side facing the tuners until the nut slides in. If you’ve purchased a correctly radiused nut then the only real issues are then to lower or raise said nut.

I’m not explaining myself very well I know, re:intonation and the relationship between the face of the nut and the fingerboard between the slot and the first fret....

moral of the story: if you cut into the fingerboard at all you’ll likely mess up intonation. Only remove material from the nut on the side facing the tuners.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

The back of the slot doesn't affect intonation, just the front, the last place the string touches.

8. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Our shop charges $60 for a new bone nut. Pre cut nuts rarely ever fit.

Cali Dude likes this.
  9. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

my point being that if you attempt to fit a nut by widening the slot, and end up taking some material from the fingerboard side of the slot, then that will shorten the distance between the nut and the first fret. That will affect intonation. To that end, always remove material from the nut not the slot, and always the face of the nut that faces the tuners

archetype likes this.
  10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

One of the better videos on how to make your own. And, of course, a spiffy Stew Mac tool about halfway through....

Cyberi4n likes this.
  11. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning Strat-Talker

If you're not very good mechanically with you hands - definitely get someone to fix that for you. Here in the UK about £25-35. Its a 15 minute job. Slice down the length of the nut - ease the nut inwards and away from the wood either side - pull out the bits. There's Stew Mac video of doing this. Adjust new one and fit. Cut the slots - but you do need correct files to do that and correct technique. So it's a job you could do yourself if you have the tools - but frankly cheaper to get pro o do it.

nickmsmith likes this.
  12. carver

carver Gone strangling

Frankenstein’s monster has two.

maybe we should ask the mad scientist what his prices are for just one

13. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talker

I had a bone nut installed on my Mexican Strat. The E 6th string partially muted at the first few frets,, and there was no fixing it. The new nut and a set up cost me $60.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  14. smsms

smsms New Member!

I spent $100 to get a graphite nut installed on my Strat, but I live in Northern California, where everything is a little more expensive ‍:\

Cali Dude likes this.
  15. johnjet6

johnjet6 Strat-Talk Member

I had the same exact problem with my MIM Strat. I purchased the nut I wanted online and handed it and the guitar to my repair guy. Total cost was $65.

16. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

Where i live i bet they would charge an arm and a leg to cut me a nut on my recent build.
    Bit the bullet and bought 0.10 Hosco files to do the job myself. Plenty tutorials online how to do it. To me it´s all about the tooling. Right tools will get you a long way.
    Hosco files, feelergauges and fine grit sand paper. Im good to go.

17. spinifex

spinifex Strat-Talk Member

Buy two nuts. A second just in case you stuff one up. They are $10 or so.. I have only bought graphtech... only changed one nut in my lifetime on a Les Paul, not a strat...

Go slow with the sanding down... i thought I was really good... going nice and slow. Then lost concentration and sanded just that little bit too much off the bottom. Strings aren't touching at the first fret (when fretted at the 3rd fret), but action does not feel right.

I have put a piece of D'Addario guitar string packet in the nut slot as a shim. At this point I bought a second nut. I am still trying to work out my preferred action...

Graphtech link how to install a nut is below. Stewmac also have good videos.

18. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

Your neck isn't where your nuts are supposed to go. Oh wait...

19. bustoff

bustoff Strat-Talker

I had a good luthier make a custom nut for my 1971 Fender Mustang. He also set it up with .008" strings with the goal of my 8 year old using this smaller scale guitar with light strings to learn some chords. He did it in about 75 minutes and the material cost plus the labor was around $120. The neck dimensions on the this guitar pretty much require a custom made nut.

All that said, I generally like to work on my own stuff. Strats are so common that there are many options for pre-slotted and they can be cheap enough to buy extra if you make a mistake.

20. Whitebeard

Whitebeard Strat-Talk Member

Question - Is the 1st string too close to the edge of the fretboard at the nut only? Or is it too close to the edge at the 12th fret? 21st fret? At the nut only then replace it with a nut that is pre-slotted for the gauge of strings you use. If it is either the second or third scenario above then check bridge placement and or 1st string saddle position. Good luck.