Join Strat-Talk Today

How much did your practice time change after kids?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by diogoguitar, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

It affects practice and playing time. And drinking time. And golf. And money you might spend on equipment. And about any other hobby you can have. But it is worth it.
    As others mentioned, you do tend to become more focused when you pick one up.

Ferpie and BallisticSquid like this.
  2. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

Not a problem, I move pretty good for a man of 45 so no worries!:sneaky: Besides, they get slower too!:D

Alan Crossley likes this.
  3. Antman

Antman Strat-Talker

Hi. I can relate to this situation. I have 2 young kids. I used to be able to practice anytime etc...but now ( and since each was born) i practice pretty much at night. Mostly with an electric unplugged...but also i bought a Helix and use headphones. I'm a bit of an owl and often stay up to around midnight anyway.
    My practice became more focused as time became a factor. I play more regularly now and play for at least an hr at a time several times a week.

Just remember...babies need a lot of care and attention and love. Your life will change but you can always fit in practice around life.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  4. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Congrats!! Kids change your life and it can be very rewarding! Lots of great suggestions here. My guitars are always out on a rack and I'm notorious for grabbing on at idle times throughout the mornings on weekends.

I wish I had more time to learn and practice but family is my priority. I've had the opportunity to gig more and I backed off because I didn't want to have any regrets. As your kids get older, times passes exponentially faster and in a flash they are teens. Another blink and my daughter will be in college.

Don't let guitar and music go. Let your passion for playing be an inspiration to them. As they get older and learn to play instruments of their own choice, join in with them. My kids play piano, clarinet, and viola. I've had the pleasure of accompanying my kids at their recitals...well except for piano :). It's great fun and a wonderful bonding experience.

My daughter is in a rock band at her high school playing keyboards. She also plays guitar and uke. She plans on learning some bass over the summer.

It may seem like this stage is light years away...your child isn't even born yet...but it will arrive in a flash.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  5. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Congratulations to you and your family.
    I don't know if this is your first child or not, but I can tell you, your priorities will change (or at least they should).

With my first child, i put the guitar down for at least a year. And i was in a working band at the time.

My second child, i put the guitar down for quite a few weeks.

My last child, i brought my guitar and practice amp to the hospital delivery room.

Brutus and Ferpie like this.
  6. MojoFilter

MojoFilter Strat-Talk Member

I’ve raised 4 kids and their father is a guitar picker.. I’ve had the same full time Job for 30 years now... I can say I’ve never felt any of my kids were affected negatively because I was always hammering away on a guitar..

Have done all the Dad things, catching, throwing, coaching, camping, church, carpooling, etc...

All my children love that Ido what I do, especially my youngest son Jacob, 17 , who is becoming quite the young guitarist these days... and hasn’t had to spend a dime on equipment or Guitars!!

Just last night we had a great basement jam with a great friend of mine, who just had 2 little ones in the last two years, visiting from AZ. He bought his drummer brother by and we had a blast jamming Hey Joe, Roadhouse Blues etc. Tell me that’s not time we’ll spent with your kid...I would add that the wifey came downstairs and said, can you please turn down a little, the pictures on the walls are all rattling!!

My advice is play for your kid!! They love it...

My Wonderful 1st Granddaughter Ivy seems to get into it just like her daddy before her... upload_2019-7-1_11-18-0.jpeg

albala and BallisticSquid like this.
  7. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

congratulations

My one and only kid turns 4 today.

I was determined to make him a music fan as far back as the womb.

My wife strapped earbuds to her belly when she was pregnant and sitting at her work desk.

We put on a heavy dose of guitar-driven classic rock, jazz, grunge, and metal and it seems to have made him into quite the music fan. He loves to sing and he can't help but groove out when he feels a beat.

By making him such a music fan, it has always allowed me to play and practice whenever I want to.

I have an acoustic in my bedroom, an acoustic in my living room, and a used guitar-store's worth of gear in my basement. My 'addiction' has now spread to him.

His recent discovery is plugging in an electric guitar and 'cranking up'. He's even started using a bottle-neck slide.

I can't wait for the day when we can jam together...I just might die from satisfaction.

Here is my pride and joy, my raison d'etre, Miles James...

On the 12-string:

IMG_2127.JPG

With his first Strat that he earned by getting potty-trained by age 4:
    IMG_3621.JPG

Brutus and BallisticSquid like this.
  8. Jeepocaster

Jeepocaster Senior Stratmaster

My boys are full grown, 27 and 32 years old. Educated and doing well on their own. Empty nest time is good! My wife works a lot of hours, her job is everything to her. I play everyday. I work Monday to Friday 5:00 am to 1:30 and she doesn’t get home until 6:30 some days. Other than some health stuff I’ve had the last year, I’ve got it made Playing long and loud almost daily. Best gear I’ve ever owned at my disposal.

albala likes this.
  9. Stratomike

Stratomike Strat-Talk Member

Congratulations from my side as well! Yes, life gets turned upside down and when you look back, you wonder ... wtf did I do with all the spare time??? ... but it is so wonderful to be a father/have a family, I would not want to change a thing.

And interestingly enough, at least I have the *feeling* that I play better now than during my time before kids. Granted, they are 4 & 6 now, so no toddlers that wake up at night. And that's exactly my time to practice, when kids (and most often) my wife is sleeping.

I am a better player now because I really focus on playing guitar. When you have kids you really think twice what you do with your scarce spare time. So instead of following 10+ hobbies, I more or less just play the guitar now. Also, when I have say an hour a day, I commit to few excercises and don't waste most of my time noodling around. Less browsing + posting on the internet as well.

When my practice time is over, I am eagerly looking forward to the next session with lots of new ideas and "unfinished" stuff. Compared to the time when I had loads of time I actually had to pick myself up and sort of force me to practice. Now it is totally different.

So yeah, my advice is ... make the best out of the situation, put a positive spin to it. Don't sacrify family time, but then as well don't forget you are an individual with needs, dreams and goals. You have to be/stay happy so that the family is happy, if that makes sense.

BallisticSquid likes this.
  10. davidKOS

davidKOS back to musical work Strat-Talk Supporter

My deepest respect to all you parents.

I never had children, by choice, and am still happy about my decision!

I believe only the folks that really want kids should have them.

BallisticSquid and albala like this.
  11. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Senior Stratmaster

It nosedived. Off a cliff. A very high cliff.

Funnily enough though about that time my quality of playing improved drastically.

I think I got better at making the practice more focused, out of necessity.

Congratulations, by the way. Parenthood is the scariest, hardest, but most rewarding thing you'll ever do.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

BallisticSquid likes this.
  12. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I think it also helps to have a project you are working (being in a band for instance) or at least have a hard goal to work toward. When you don't have something holding you accountable, it's too easy to put things off since you have the built in excuse of being busy with kids and family.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    guitartwonk likes this.
  13. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Went way down. But that's ok. Daughter is lots of fun. And I'm going to make her a drummer.

14. AncientAx

AncientAx Still hacking .... Strat-Talk Supporter

Life in general changes after kids are born , You will learn to adapt and you will adapt often ....

15. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Once your kid becomes a slammin' bassist and a tub thumper, practice cranks up again.

16. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

What's practice time?

Seriously though, if you are any kind of parent all your "me time" stuff just got significantly reduced! I have a 4yo boy, and a 18month girl and I get about 2 hrs a week maybe....even then I don't really have the energy to practice. Id rather drink a couple beers and sit on my patio for a moment of peace!

I get one night a week to rehearse with my band thats all the playing I get until a gig is booked.

17. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Senior Stratmaster

This is true. I've always been in a band or had some kind of project to work on.

In fact it was the band who kept me sane during those early sleepless weeks.

So, to the OP I'd say, if you're in a band, don't quit it, though the thought will inevitably cross your mind as you want to focus on being a good parent, because having that creative outlet will give you a much needed respite.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

18. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Strat-Talker

Those are handy styles for a newborn. Babies love the dulcet tones of progressive metal. Your wife is totally going to appreciate how your songs "energize" the baby after she is finally able to lay him/her down. She probably won't resent your practicing while she expresses breast milk in her "down time"...much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.