Votes: 48 52.2%
  • 7hrs or more

Votes: 39 42.4%

• Total voters

Geoff06

Strat-Talker
Nov 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I generally play 2-3hrs each day, 3-5 days each week. For me, playing music is invigorating, relaxing, therapeutic, life-giving and immensely fun. Some of my time is targeted practice, some is improvisation, some is songwriting, some is just cranking effects and making sounds. I'm able to be "me" when I'm holding a guitar, and when I go for more than a few days without playing anything, all of life becomes more difficult.

So, how about you - how much do you play? Do you enjoy being a lifelong learner?

stratobiker

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 16, 2011
France
I generally play 2-3hrs each day, 3-5 days each week. For me, playing music is invigorating, relaxing, therapeutic, life-giving and immensely fun. Some of my time is targeted practice, some is improvisation, some is songwriting, some is just cranking effects and making sounds. I'm able to be "me" when I'm holding a guitar, and when I go for more than a few days without playing anything, all of life becomes more difficult.

So, how about you - how much do you play? Do you enjoy being a lifelong learner?

Same here. I play every day, sometimes nearly all day!
I'm always working on something, always learning new things,and there's always something new to learn. I love it.
That and cycling. :)

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
Not enough. At first, during the pandemic I played a lot for the first 6 months and made several recordings. But after that first 6 months the desire to play faded. I play an average of 10-15 minutes a day at the most lately.

My big album project with Kimberly Morgan York is released sometime in July. We plan on a tour after that, so I will be back in the daily playing routine sometime around mid summer.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
It depends on the week. I try for an hour a day but some weeks I don't tally an hour total. As lately I'm learning to fingerpick, that hour could be nothing more than me watching TV and repeating a pattern over and over until I can do it in my sleep. Not the most fun playing I've done, but necessary.

Telecaster582

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2022
Muskegon MI
Same here. I play every day, sometimes nearly all day!
I'm always working on something, always learning new things,and there's always something new to learn. I love it.
That and cycling. :)
Yeah, I am pretty much the same, I play usually (or try) to play at least an hour a day. My music teacher when I first started was saying about how I should practice till my fingers bleed🤣 he said he practiced about 4 hours a day, and I was amazed, but at 9 and just starting guitar, I didn't know enough to practice for that long. Now that I am more advanced and know tons more, I can practice longer, and I believe that getting more advanced helps me love it more than before, and that's why I practice longer, if that makes sense

Seamus OReally

Fading away
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2019
Santa Rosa, CA
I try and spend 2 hrs making animal noises every night. Keeping your brain active by playing guitar wards off dementia. I’ve seen brain scans showing high level of electrical pulses between each lobe when playing an instrument.
Playing the guitar does not ward off dementia. Dementia of the Alzheimer’s type (the most common form) is a progressive disease, and there is no known cure or therapy to slow the disease. There are drugs that help mitigate symptoms, but nothing that forestalls or slows the progress. Brain scans notwithstanding, if you develop dementia, you’re signed on for the whole trip, no matter what instrument you may play.

I’m a volunteer for the Alzheimer’s Association, which is the source of these facts.

Noobieoldie

Strat-Talker
Jan 23, 2022
Austin, TX
I pick up a guitar multiple times a day. It might be for a few minutes just to cop a feel, or I might plug in. It probably averages out to an hour a day?

Today I'll be changing strings, fiddling with the bridge, and checking out the Strat talk threads where unintentional hilarity sometimes occurs (I'm thinking about a topic from yesterday, where a kid got his first Fender and was arguing up, down and sideways about pickups).

Mr Jagsquire

Strat-O-Master
Sep 26, 2020
Berkshire
Usually 90-120 minutes a day, most days of the week. So certainly in double figures per week, more if we rehearse (usually 3 hour sessions) or gig.

Had some other stuff on lately as I finish work in three weeks, so been clearing the decks and trying to get my wife's car cleaned up ready to trade in (I'll lose my company car when I retire). My hands are bone dry with all the cleaning stuff and fingers feel like sausages...I had to cut it down to 30 minutes a day lately just to try to loosen my fingers up ready for a gig on Saturday.

Groundwire

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2021
Oregon
I try to play for an hour each day. I give myself fifteen minutes after I finish working and before I have to pickup the kids from school. This is the time I can play with a bit of volume. Then in the evening I usually go downstairs and play quietly for anywhere from 30-60 minutes. This is where having a good attenuator really helps.

Sundays is when the band practices, and that’s usually about 2.5 hours.

So, I’d say I play 8-10 hours per week.