How much does color factor in?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratafied, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Strat-Talker

unfortunately I’ve sold the 2005 american standard in Chrome Blue! To buy my 2019 LP Classic, but is still with me the 2001 MIA Aquamarine metallic, with a Di Marzio Paf Pro in the bridge, that you can split with a Push/push pot. But you don’t need a closer inspection for that. What I can say is that play really good :cool:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Stratafied likes this.
  2. Maplelover

Maplelover Strat-Talker

Gosh, I know of only a few colors I haven't had over the 5o years playing TELE PT.jpg Dscn1453.jpg Dscn1218.jpg 4 strats.jpg TELE PT.jpg Dscn1453.jpg Dscn1218.jpg 4 strats.jpg 4 strats.jpg

Stratafied and BuddyHollywood like this.
  3. Pops65

Pops65 Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Oh I so want a Dark Night strat. I have a black player body from Stratosphere still in the box. Was thinking to custom paint that one..

Demon Dave and BuddyHollywood like this.
  4. nomadh

nomadh Strat-Talker

Maybe in a way. 30 years ago I ran into a used maple neck strat. The neck had been stripped of that thick sticky poly I really hated at the time. I loved the look of a maple neck strat but hated the smaller frets and poly. So here's this butt ugly plain white strat with an ugly stripped neck and jumbo fret refret. I LOOOOOVED the feel. At the time I was in a longtime fight with a low fret Gibson flying V that was just unplayable for what I wanted to do. I played that strat and I was like a new man. I wasn't even thinking about a new guitar but I threw down the $200 and was out the door. I was in the car before I realized I had never even plugged it in. I didn't care I was keeping it and fix whatever it needed electrically. It never did have a prob and sounded great but as much as I hated white I didn't care because at the time it was the only guitar I ever played that felt the way it did. I bugged me for 25 years until I finally replaced the body with an mjt lightly aged ash natural body.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  5. davidd47

davidd47 Strat-Talker

At one time it seemed like there was only natural, sunburst, black, white, mahogany or heritage cherry. I have steered away from solid colors since I prefer an ultra thin nitro finish but can appreciate the look. Then in 2005 I got on a Heritage Cherry kick for awhile, the 59 Strat, 68 Tele and 60 Jazzmaster all got the heritage treatment to match the 67 335. I also need wood grain that has something interesting going on. Nothing is off limits and the less mainstream or conventional the more I like it. Probably the result of working in the furniture refin biz years ago. If it ends up in the shop who knows what will come out of it. Does color matter? Not really when you can't leave well enough alone.

6. Skagittarius

Skagittarius Strat-Talk Member

Like cars, I've been drawn to the new, dark body colors with strats. I recall that when the pewter strats came out in '88 I had to have one and I immediately loved the antique olive. Just looking at them, for some reason they always inspired me to pick them up. Not sure why but its definitely a thing. Probably because they were different and not flashy; perhaps a reflection of my playing.

7. juzz88

juzz88 Strat-Talk Member

Just paid AUD$200 more for an MIJ Hybrid I Strat, than what Hybrid II would have cost, purely because II's don't come in Surf Green.

I'd sell vital organs for an MIA Daphne Blue Strat.

GarrettM and JB74 like this.
  8. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

I want to buy an Aged White Hybrid II Stratocaster but that colour isn't coming to Australia according to all the dealers I have contacted so will have to buy it from Japan. I would not be surprised if Surf Green comes up too but again will be another Japan only colour.

Stratafied likes this.
  9. AndyF

AndyF Strat-Talk Member Platinum Supporting Member

Thanks! I just finished polishing it and I have cracks in the finish. So I'm deciding if I should sand it all off or just give it a relic look, as much as I hate to say that.

Stratafied likes this.
  10. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

Color and finish is pretty much at the top of my list along with playability.

Stratafied likes this.
  11. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

I have read on Strat-Talk, from those in the know, that all finger board wood sounds the same and all body wood sounds the same. So what makes one Strat sound diffident than the another? IT'S THE COLOR OF THE PAINT STUPIDS. Color matters..... Well that and pickup springs...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    Stratafied likes this.
  12. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely, very important. I have to look at (and like) that guitar, every time I pick it up.

13. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

Forget color. I really like to see a natural grain, even with a thin laquer coat.

14. tygr1

tygr1 Strat-Talker

I just bought an American Standard in a certain color that I was specifically seeking. So, yeah...sometimes.

15. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

I don’t go after a certain colour, it’s gotta play and feel right. I just happen to like any colour as long as it’s a Fender! F886D3DA-673A-4379-AA13-29AD6F73E858.jpeg

16. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

If a musician plays a song on an unfinished guitar can you hear it? Of course not. Unfinished guitars do not make sounds.

Mr_Lahey likes this.
  17. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-O-Master

I will absolutely wait for the color I want. Especially if a color gets Discontinued it automatically makes my guitar a ltd edition

18. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-O-Master

Price is no object Ant? You crazy

Stratafied likes this.
  19. RockyMtnRobert

RockyMtnRobert Strat-Talk Member

I’m colorblind so color matters about 0 much.

20. BeerGolfGuitars

BeerGolfGuitars Strat-Talk Member

Color is a significant for me, but not as important as sound and feel. That said, I did lose a little money selling my burst Player Strat to grab one of the CME Player special runs in Sherwood Green. I had a Race Green Affinity Strat that my youngest son liked to fool around with, but I stupidly sold it. So when I had to opportunity to grab another green Strat, had to do it.