How much does color factor in?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratafied, Jul 17, 2021.

1. beaz

beaz Strat-Talker

20160416_182554.jpg got the two colours I always wanted but I do have a liking for blonde!!!

AGK13, HandwrittenHero and Stratafied like this.
  2. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Hello – and welcome! Are you referring to the brown colour around the pickguard? I think it could simply be stained that colour? Perhaps with coffee, or some sort of dye / other... I could be wrong! I think it would certainly produce similar reults though – so may be worth a try :thumb: !

3. WightTrashMan

WightTrashMan Strat-Talker

Hi all,✌️my first post on Strat talk, interesting thread for me personally as I guess I’m a traditionalist with Fender style guitars ( maybe boring) in that I really only care for a nice burst or black or white. That being said I’m sonic blue and surf green curious. I also love a natural finish and that puky 52 tele colour but it’s really only Antigua burst that makes me feel a bit sick.

Stratafied and J4ME5 like this.
  4. Sparque

Sparque Seriously-Stratified Silver Member

Color matters a lot to me.

I love natural finishes.
    I like a great variety of other colors, including white, black, red, orange, and OD green.

Sunburst finishes have to be just right, so I'm torn on them.

I don't care for most shades of blue guitars, in general.
    And I really cannot stand a silver-burst.

:(

Stratafied likes this.
  5. Roger66

Roger66 Senior Stratmaster Double Platinum Supporting Member

Yeah. There is even an app on your phone that has all the words from that movie and explains them. 'Nadsat for Gloopies' I think it's called. Well I'm getting back to my steaky-wakes and eggy-wegs.

WightTrashMan and Stratafied like this.
  6. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Don’t care. Any color is fine.

Boyd L, Bakelite1 and Stratafied like this.
  7. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I don’t see color.

8. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

I love certain colors, but the guitar has to feel and sound right first.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  9. HandwrittenHero

HandwrittenHero Strat-Talk Member

This has kinda made me realise it's been a while really since I've shopped a model which came with a lot of choice! I'd have said it's more a case of I don't really want to try guitars in colours that don't appeal to me but past that it's fairly relaxed...so think my Les Paul I just tried until I ended up with the one that felt and sounded best for me. The last tele I had was an AV52 so only the one colour option. SG only came in cherry anyway, same my AV54 strat is here's hoping you like sunburst. My CS56 happens to be in my favourite colour and tbh that's what got me to look at it, but it was mainly ticking boxes on what specs I wanted to try and it still had to feel and sound right.

10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

I'm strickly looking for the feel, tone, and playability when I shop. The color would be the last thing on my mind.
    One exception: when I went looking for a Ukelele for my grand daughter, I was instructed to find something in purple. Thirty years ago that would have been difficult, but the first Sam Ash shop I walked into not only had purple, but several shades of purple.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  11. Maozac

Maozac New Member!

oh thank you for your answer!
    Maybe you ‘re right, but the colour is a very dark brown....
    Duo you think if i send an e.mail to Fender cs i can receive some answer?

J4ME5 likes this.
  12. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

I think it is worth a try, I have not emailed the CS before – but any time I have emailed Fender they have been very helpful – so... who knows! It would be interesting to find out what they use for sure. Perhaps you could buy a spare pickguard, just to experiment with – and if it works you can do it on yours? I know LOTS of people have used coffee for this sort of thing – if you Google the words 'Coffee Stain Pickguard', you will see lots of results – I recommend looking at the results from Strat-Talk and TDPRI. I used coffee once, along with the tiniest pinch of Turmeric – to turn a bright white switch tip, to aged white, to match the rest of the plastics – and after a couple of minutes it matched PERFECT, like 100% perfect – so it definitely works :thumb: !

13. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

Color is everything.... to start. But, unless it feels right, it doesn't get purchased or stay.

14. jwag

jwag Strat-O-Master

I’d prefer a White Strat or Tele with a Maple neck That said, I’ve been on the hunt for my forever Strat and Tele for a couple months now. I always go to the White first if I see one, iff not ….I play every sample regardless of color or fretboard material.

I refuse to buy any instrument unless I can’t put it down once I start playing it. Then I’ll leave a refundable deposit and come back the next day to be sure I still feel the same way. So far I’ve walked away from some pretty decent guitars, none I couldn’t live without.

15. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Silver Member

We are visual creatures.

"Look at the personality on her"...said no one ever. We are drawn to a thing by visual attraction. If a substance isn't there then we move on... hopefully.

If you have a beautiful guitar that plays like a cinder block, it's of no use.

BuddyHollywood and Bladesg like this.
  16. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Strat-Talk Member

What color? 20210317_122027.jpg

Intune, BuddyHollywood, AGK13 and 2 others like this.
  17. hogrider16

hogrider16 Strat-Talker

There are about 10,000,000 guitars out there for sale. It's foolish to settle for something. As long as you aren't in a hurry, you can find what you want at the price you want.

18. RL21980

RL21980 Senior Stratmaster

It's lower on the list but it is a factor. Tone, Neck, Weight, Playability are all higher on my list. Though, there are some colors I won't touch. Red guitars should not exist. Come at me.

19. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Strat-Talk Member

It is a factor. Had a long talk with God last night. I was told to sell only to sell to the man who has to make his living playing. Or the ultra rich. But I am shallow also. Am selling boutique amp for an open box PRRI. And instruments the are of gigging quality with upgraded electronics and for me. Bought 3 guitars this week. 2 will be keepers one will go back. Indulged myself in a Gretsch that was priced less than an AVRI. This was before my talk with our Maker. That being said, I do like colors and always will. He wants us to value our lives , be grateful, and enjoy our time here. And yes, I do have money, but I dress from the thrift shop. So I am not where I should be. Please do not take this the wrong way. Enjoy and be happy with your choices. It is the right thing to do. This only hit me tonight and I am a very selfish man. And yes, the Gretsch is mine!!!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  20. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talk Member

For me, color is worth about $50 and never a deal breaker. When I seek out a guitar I usually have a vision of what I want before I look for it. If I find it, and they don’t make it in a color I generally like, it’s not a deal breaker and I usually buy used. I’m willing to pay about an extra $50 for a color I prefer. But unless it’s really cheesy, I can get with almost any standard color.

BuddyHollywood and Boyd L like this.