How much does color factor in?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratafied, Jul 17, 2021.

1. GillyBibbons

GillyBibbons New Member!

Fact ^^^

2. JayCee453

JayCee453 Strat-Talk Member

I got my Telecaster cheap, because noone else wanted to buy it off the previous owner. Didn't like the finish, but what the hell. I avoided the temptation to repaint it. It was a tad under 200UKP I think, back in the early 80s when that was a fair lump of cash. Its a pink Paisley JV...

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  3. EVH_5150

EVH_5150 Strat-Talk Member

Color is a huge factor for me.

4. GillyBibbons

GillyBibbons New Member!

*Must have red tortoise shell pickguard

J4ME5 likes this.
  5. ratdoc

ratdoc Strat-Talk Member

I don't even like watching other people play pastel guitars.

6. SPS Strat15

SPS Strat15 New Member!

metalic blue is the biz

7. DdWagstaff

DdWagstaff Strat-Talk Member

I love the look of my Shoreline Gold '97 "Hotrodded American Standard Series" USA Roadhouse Strat, and it had a significant influence on me deciding to buy it (given I picked it up from ebay and didn't see, touch or hear it in person first). Fortunately it plays as good as it looks! My previous favourite looking Strat was my old Teal Green HWY1. IMG_20210706_233125.jpg

BuddyHollywood, pn8830 and Stratafied like this.
  8. DdWagstaff

DdWagstaff Strat-Talk Member

Here's the Teal Green - another beauty IMG_20201123_105452.jpg

9. Moleman

Moleman New Member!

1999 was one of my best years financially and I used to stop in the Guitar Center in New Rochelle NY to window shop. One day I spotted a metallic purple Strat on the wall, bought it on the spot, no hesitation, $999. The purple did it for me, and has influenced other purchases (color).

BuddyHollywood, AGK13 and Stratafied like this.
  10. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Strat-Talker

If it doesn't feel or sound right, doesn't matter what color it is. If it meets those 2 criteria, it just has to be something I can live with long term. No satin finishes.

tanta07 and Stratafied like this.
  11. Razzle

Razzle Strat-Talker

Color is my #1 choice, then neck. If it don't look good, I don't care how it plays, there are too many guitars out there. if then it doesn't play well, that'll trump the color, but color has to be there first. If both of these pass, the rest is details.

Kinda like dating. The first thing is how you like how the girl looks, then it's the connection (which if goes sour will trump good looks).

BuddyHollywood, AGK13 and Stratafied like this.
  12. Gator

Gator Strat-Talk Member

Assume he is referring to your profile pic. Alex DeLarge.

13. cglasford

cglasford Strat-Talk Member

quite a bit because I'm probably not picking it up if it doesn't catch my eye. At the end of the day the feel and sound are more important but if it's an unappealing color i'm not even going to pull it off the shelf.

BuddyHollywood and Stratafied like this.
  14. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

15. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

It's not so much the color but, it has to catch my good eye, making me want to try it out. From there it's a bonding or not, no matter the meat, I mean color. I would not try a pink or punked out finish, but basically everything else. maybe. Not on stage or subway platforms anymore, so it's only how it affects me.

16. beep.click

beep.click Strat-Talk Member

When I was younger, I could settle for a color I didn't like -- as long as the guitar was an exceptional specimen otherwise. Nowadays, since I have a few guitars in the stable, I can afford to hold out for a color I truly want.

That said, I recently bought a black Strat, which is my least favorite color. It was THAT GOOD.

cglasford and BuddyHollywood like this.
  17. gogaterz

gogaterz Strat-Talk Member

I've loved Sherwood Green Strats for years but have never purchased one because I couldn't find the neck or tone I wanted. So color does AND doesn't matter I guess.

18. OneOcean

OneOcean New Member!

I'll consider any color except for medium-dark blues. The classis Daphne & Sonic blues as well as Surf Green are fine, especially if aged/relic'd. Funny thing is, I like dark blue for other things, like my car, and clothing, but to me is the most boring color for guitars.

tanta07 likes this.
  19. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

Color starts off, not usually the most important, but sometimes it is if I start out with an image in my mind of a guitar I want to seek out. It's pretty important anyway because you have to look at it all the time. but if the frets and/or the radius are too small I won't buy it no matter what.

20. dkwallis

dkwallis New Member!

Sad and vain but to me it matters a lot.

Squiers are such great value I can kinda get all my favorite colors spread across the one-of-each approach/rationalization.
    For example I picked up Jaguar Classic Vibe in sunburst for a song, but I've been trying to trade it for a sonic blue or shell pink (even offered the guitar plus $100 for a trade). Why? Because I'm bored with sunburst.

What to me is even more interesting is how some colors work better it only on certain models. Examples:
    Butterscotch blond with black pickguard looks perfect in a Tele but awful on a Strat
    Cherry burst is perfect in a Les Paul but not so great on pretty much any Fender Design.

BuddyHollywood and Stratafied like this.