How much does color factor in?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratafied, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talker

Color is the first consideration for me. The combination of neck/pick guard/body is really important. And the only one of those I can't easily mod is the body. So color is first. I'd rather not swap out the neck if I don't have to (I'm talking to you, Ed O'Brian - that neck sucks) but that's the second consideration. If I can get both of those right and it has the body route for HH and HSS, I'll sort out the rest. I don't play anything stock.

Maple boards go with certain colors like whites and pastels in my mind. I like whiter pearl guards with those. Rosewood boards go with darker colors or darker pick guards. Roasted or aged boards can go with either.

I don't think there are any bad body colors, just odd combinations with the neck and guard that don't appeal to me. But some combinations are just magic and suck me right in.

2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

For me to buy it, it has to be a good guitar AND the color I like. Especially so for Fenders.

Stratafied likes this.
  3. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

In a phrase, it is very important.

Years ago while shopping for a new car the first sales person I met tried the old, "Are you picky about color," line. He was forceful and had that stereotypical new car salesman appearance. Teeth darkened with tar and nicotine and those same substances colored his breath as well. Combine that with ice-blue-aqua-velva and you get the idea. My response, as firm as his opening line was to me, "for the money this will cost, you bet I am picky about color. And every other option as well. But don't worry if you don't have what I want we can place a factory order." He balked and I left to another dealer that has been my go-to for Ford products for the past 15 years.

When it comes to anything I am passionate about, first impressions are key. And the way a guitar/motorcyle/car looks is what grabs my attention first. Of course a guitar has to sound great but amp and pedal settings can color the sound to get it where I want in most cases. But if I don't like how the guitar looks, I'll never pick it up to play.

And yes I am still bitter about Fender screwing up my beautiful mod-shop in Crimson Red Transparent over an ash body. You cannot order that any longer and it has been that way for 16 months and will likely never be seen again. But that is life.

But yeah, for my money any purchase has to look the part or it is a no go. In addition, I will not buy a "demo" model of anything. New in the box (NITB) or I will go someplace else. Ordering from the warehouse is just fine but if you don't have what I want on the floor and cannot get what I want, I'll pass.

NC

Stratafied and BuddyHollywood like this.
  4. kilroy

kilroy Strat-Talk Member

Color is irrelevant unless it's something hideous. The three most important things about the guitar are 1. the neck, 2. the neck, and 3. the neck.

5. 11 hole

11 hole Strat-Talk Member

I bought the strat in my avatar mostly because i always wanted the classic burst with maple FB and got it with a bunch of other stuff from a private seller, making it a good deal. Only colors that might kill a purchase is blue or green, i don't own one.
    This thread is a real testimonial to personal preference.

Stratafied likes this.
  6. GeeDub

GeeDub Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

Like several others, neck is the most important because I have large hands & long fingers so something like a very thin profile won't cut it. It has to feel right in my hands. I have a 2012 Am. Std. Oly White Strat that is a great one, the modern C neck is about as thin as I am comfortable with. Second is the sound/tone. Third is the color in this order - sunburst, white, red, seafoam green and so on.

Just like shopping for a car. Once I've determined the make/model, I have to test drive and see how it feels behind the wheel, how it drives, then ride in the pax seat to see how it rides there. Then if it is a pleasing color, I proceed with the purchase. Guitars and amps are no different in this respect. Ymmv.

7. AGK13

AGK13 Strat-Talk Member

Stratafied likes this.
  8. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley New Member!

I'm sick of 99% of the time left handed guitars are either black or sunburst. So my first instinct is, "what else you got?".

It doesn't matter to me how good it feels/plays, the balance, whatever, if I'm going to hate looking at it. There are so many guitars catering to being "that good", that colour should really be a top three consideration along with price and brand.

Numbercruncher and Stratafied like this.
  9. bluesguy62

bluesguy62 Strat-Talk Member

Good question, sir. Let's say I've found a couple Strats I like that play equally well. I'd choose the one that has a see-through finish. From my experience, Fender uses better quality wood for guitars with such finishes.

10. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

Not always, Olympic white and tortoise looks way better with a rosewood fretboard than a maple one :whistling::D

11. spistrat

spistrat Strat-Talk Member

Color always seems like a compromise. It's not like I buy guitars very often, but when I do , it's rare to find the exact model I'm actually interested offered in the color I'm interested in, so I end up picking the color I like most from the options.

Stratafied likes this.
  12. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-Talker

Wood type, weight, neck construction, any color that I like will do.

13. Gjguitarmn

Gjguitarmn Strat-Talk Member

The last Strat I purchased is a translucent greenish blue work of art on an ash body with a maple neck. Would never have thought about purchasing that color...until I saw it and played it. I bought the guitar because I could feel the resonance in the body and the neck was perfect. The surprise color was a bonus.

Same with my most recent Tele. I was shopping for anything but a tobacco burst. Saw a beautiful burst hanging on the wall...and the neck was magic. Yep, bought that one too.

So, other than my '65 Candy Apple Red maple neck Strat, color isn't all that important to me...as long as it's no obnoxious! LOL

14. southsidesmoka

southsidesmoka Strummer of Strings Silver Member

With functionality pinned down, aesthetics comes next. I ALWAYS get the finish I desire...

- southsidesmoka

15. AndyF

AndyF Strat-Talk Member

deleted

Stratafied likes this.
  16. ZePequeno

ZePequeno New Member!

Color is the first selection criteria. I’m never even going to know if a guitar feels and sounds great if it isn’t first one of the colors I like.

I have a white/white/rosewood Strat now, and the next one will be a light relic black nitro/parchment/maple job.

17. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Man I love that color, nice job.

18. ZeBop Deluxe

ZeBop Deluxe New Member!

Color is critical to me. I love the pastels. I also love (and own) Orange Flake (special run) and Candy Tangerine. One thing I learned about (brand new) Fender guitars is “If you like it, buy it when you see it, because they’ll discontinue that finish and may not bring it back for a long time…” BED01406-77D1-4904-970B-CE4E42AA8662.jpeg

BuddyHollywood and Surf Green like this.
  19. AGK13

AGK13 Strat-Talk Member

Blue and Maple board Haters turn away… Here’s my NGD! My Christmas present finally arrived. Definitely worth the wait. I’m in LOVE with the Lake Placid Blue & black pick guard! I know the rosewood might look better, but the maple glides better for me.

Being in love makes you play better, right? I’m hoping.

upload_2021-7-20_11-54-33.jpeg

Boubou, BuddyHollywood and jetedz like this.
  20. Surf Green

Surf Green Strat-Talk Member

Perhaps shouldn't say this on a strat group, but my priorities are:

(1) Is it a telecaster?
    (2) Does it have a single coil in the bridge? (unless it's a strat, then it has to be hss).
    (3) Is it pretty?

The neck doesn't bother me too much unless it's super chunky (I have small hands). The photo shows my Squier CVs:70s telecaster custom 3 tone sunburst, 60s double bound tele in candy tangerine and 50s tele in metallic purple. Telecasters 2c.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    BuddyHollywood likes this.