Join Strat-Talk Today

How much float?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 96MIMstrato, Nov 26, 2015.

1. 96MIMstrato

96MIMstrato Strat-Talker

I recently finished(almost) putting together my number one, and put a new trem system in it, a better quality one. The bridge before I felt wasn't good enough to get the trem functional earlier, but after changing the trem, I've given the guitar a full set up, and I'm not completely sold on the amount of "float" the bridge. There's approximately 1/8" space between body and bridge at the back. I'm just eyeballing so that may not be spot on. What's a normal "float"?

2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

That's about where mine are.

3. Stark

Stark Nobody.... Strat-Talk Supporter

There is no normal float. You just set it to where you're comfortable with how far you want to pull back. Mine's about .032 (size of my A string) from decked and that works fine for me. Paperback Rocker's is set a lot farther from decked as mine is set, but it works fine for him. See what works for you - good luck!

4. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

Yeah... there is no "correct" or "This is the ONLY WAY" for the float... it's up to you where you want it.

I like mine to only go 1/2 step up on the pull... for me, that's perfect... the float a lot of folks go for is the 1 1/2 step up pull back... but... I don't like how that makes the action feel... the bridge angle is too drastic for me... however, other folks love it...

5. the dark sailor

the dark sailor Senior Stratmaster

1/8th even though recommend by Fender seems too high for me. I use my single ply trem cover to set mine. Jam the cover between the back of bridge and body, tighten spring really tight, adjust everything (string height, action, intonation, etc.....tune). Pull the plate out. Your strings are going to be very sharp in tuning. Losen trem claw until strings are in tune. Done.

6. KCStratman

KCStratman Senior Stratmaster

I agree, when I float I prefer it set to pull up one half step or one whole step, which equates to a space of around 1/8 - 3/16" or close to factory recommendation. However, it is up to personal preference some players like a specific interval pull up on the G string etc. for particular playing purposes. To me it only makes sense to fine tune the range of pull up to a musical interval not to an arbitrary mechanical distance like 1/8", that is just for rough-in. The balance of course is between the tension of the strings of a particular gauge and the tension of the tremolo springs, roughly by number of springs and fine tuned with the tremolo spring claw bracket.

7. Grandturk

Grandturk Strat-Talker

This much works for me

[​IMG]

8. 96MIMstrato

96MIMstrato Strat-Talker

That's just about where mine is, it is set at the moment to a half step, when I first set it up I set for a whole step but I didn't like how far it leaned, plus I knew I'd never have any use for a whole step up on the trem. I think I like it the way it is right now

9. Stark

Stark Nobody.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Agree 110% with you, KC - I just want to wobble it sharp a little bit and I don't do dive-bombs, etc., but yep, tension, number of springs, position of claw, etc., all are important here.

10. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 Senior Stratmaster

I got a 2 post floating trem set up at 3 mm - it's perfect and stable.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Just enough to get it to do this:

12. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Strat-O-Master

1/8" is what it should be according to Fender so yours is right on the money

13. Kanegon

Kanegon Strat-O-Master

At 1/8", the ball ends sit in the center of the backplate string cutouts. Works for me.

14. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.