How much is this strat worth?

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I guess we can now close down all the "What is my guitar worth?" threads. A sticky threat at the top of the page should be created with one post:

Your guitar is worth between $1 and $1000 and as a tool to make music nothing more... Move along.

I’ve been saying that for awhile now. $1000 and under you can talk about all day long. Anything over that the threads tend to go sideways real quick.

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
I really don't get the "holds it's value" thing. Nothing "holds it's value" other than real estate.

Seriously. Buy a new car, guitar, washer/dryer, TV, iphone, whatever. Try and sell it a year later and see if you make your money back. Hint: you won't.

That's why I shake my head every time someone says Fenders/Gibsons/etc "hold their value". They don't.

YMMV
Never happened before and probably never will again but I bought a 2019 Land Rover in 2020 and sold it earlier this year at a £500 profit.

Ronnie Fn D

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 1, 2022
Valrico FL
Never happened before and probably never will again but I bought a 2019 Land Rover in 2020 and sold it earlier this year at a £500 profit.
I work at a Land Rover dealership and the Defenders are selling more used because you can't get new ones without a horrible wait, the Porsche dealership we are attached to are going thru the same thing.

stratblast

Strat-O-Master
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
From Josh and Drake? The Disney show in the early 2000’s🤨 …uhhhhh, im sorry to write, a guitar legend he will never be🤔 My signature is not far behind 😜
no ....Drake Bell is Not on the same par as Clapton.. Beck Page or others... but I admired the fact that because of him playing guitar on that show... many kids grew up imagining.. they could play or learn to play a guitar as well.... and I agree his signature will never be in demand such as the guitar greats of the past

it's just nice to have a piece of forgotten television history.. back in the days when Nickelodeon... was younger....

stratblast

Strat-O-Master
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
All that tells me is you’re buying the wrong guitars. Buy what people want now and guess what they’ll probably still want it 20 to a 100 years from now. A peavey T60 no one wanted then, just because it got older doesn’t mean it’s value. Just a old odd guitar.
I agree...a lot of investing to make a profit.. is about buying things on the speculation that the price or value will go up..... back in the 70's I did not buy guitars with that in mind... I traded off a few LP's I wish I would still have today.. but back then they were just a pice of wood that shined and made noise... I bought the Peavey.. because it caught my eye..and it was in expensive... I wish I had been stocking up on pre CBS Fenders back then when they were still within my reach... I jammed with a lot of guys that owned Fenders..back then.... I am sure a lot of those were ones from the early 60's or 50's.. because a lot of them were beat up from years of use.. but I did Not like them back then... I started to play Fender guitars in the early 90's....

I got lucky with my comic books... I bought a lot of mine and traded and saved them throughout the 60's when nobody thought comics would ever be worth much... they are helping my retirement out...now....

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree...a lot of investing to make a profit.. is about buying things on the speculation that the price or value will go up..... back in the 70's I did not buy guitars with that in mind... I traded off a few LP's I wish I would still have today.. but back then they were just a pice of wood that shined and made noise... I bought the Peavey.. because it caught my eye..and it was in expensive... I wish I had been stocking up on pre CBS Fenders back then when they were still within my reach... I jammed with a lot of guys that owned Fenders..back then.... I am sure a lot of those were ones from the early 60's or 50's.. because a lot of them were beat up from years of use.. but I did Not like them back then... I started to play Fender guitars in the early 90's....

I got lucky with my comic books... I bought a lot of mine and traded and saved them throughout the 60's when nobody thought comics would ever be worth much... they are helping my retirement out...now....

I have a few guitars I’d love to have back also. No one can predict the future though. Guitars in general are not great investments but if one’s only interested is guitars and holding value/resale, stick to what sells, then and now.

Chances are in the future people will still want that guitar. I wish I held onto every single vintage reissue I had over the years. Sold or traded them all off slowly for peanuts compared to what they go for today. Not retirement money by any means but still double or more then what I sold them for.

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
Did that even cover the inflation? :whistling::sneaky:
No, inflation was the reason I got so much for it!! The bloke who bought it from the dealer paid more than I did originally, £800 more. I just lost a lot less than I would have a while ago. It’s a little like the ‘invest in property’ discussion. A friend of mine upgrading. ‘I bought my house for £200k and now it’s worth £220k’. Yeah, that’s 10%. The house you’re buying was £300k when you bought yours. Another £100k would have bought it. Now its gone up 10% as well, you need £110k more. Didn’t you do well!?

Cerb

Anti conformist reformist
Jan 22, 2016
Sweden
No, inflation was the reason I got so much for it!! The bloke who bought it from the dealer paid more than I did originally, £800 more. I just lost a lot less than I would have a while ago. It’s a little like the ‘invest in property’ discussion. A friend of mine upgrading. ‘I bought my house for £200k and now it’s worth £220k’. Yeah, that’s 10%. The house you’re buying was £300k when you bought yours. Another £100k would have bought it. Now its gone up 10% as well, you need £110k more. Didn’t you do well!?
Over here you get taxed 22% on the profit when you sell property, but they don't adjust for inflation. So in some cases people get taxed for a profit they didn't actually make.

stratblast

Strat-O-Master
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
I have a few guitars I’d love to have back also. No one can predict the future though. Guitars in general are not great investments but if one’s only interested is guitars and holding value/resale, stick to what sells, then and now.

Chances are in the future people will still want that guitar. I wish I held onto every single vintage reissue I had over the years. Sold or traded them all off slowly for peanuts compared to what they go for today. Not retirement money by any means but still double or more then what I sold them for.
My biggest blunders were trading off my X-Men comics for an Atari 5200 game system and about 12 games back in 1985. Who knew X/Men issue 1 would be worth 10,000.00 - 20,000.00 just by itself now . The other bad trade Was selling my 1978 LP Artisan for 400.00. Now they are worth 4500.00 - 7000.00. I have gotten more careful in the last 20 years.