How much is this strat worth?

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
like that that ever happens lol
That is the only way you are going to find a "good investment" in any Fender guitar today.

You might do better with a current Gibson Custom Shop model. The "R" series historics/reissues hold their value pretty well, and can be had for comparatively reasonable amounts.
But they still aren't cheap, and there's no guarantee that you'll ever get your money back.
I paid $5k for my R4

R4-Latest.jpg

fenderjack

Strat-Talker
Dec 6, 2016
london
That is the only way you are going to find a "good investment" in any Fender guitar today.

You might do better with a current Gibson Custom Shop model. The "R" series historics/reissues hold their value pretty well, and can be had for comparatively reasonable amounts.
But they still aren't cheap, and there's no guarantee that you'll ever get your money back.
I paid $5k for my R4

View attachment 572146
i have 2 lp customs i know....black beauty and another one

fenderjack

Strat-Talker
Dec 6, 2016
london
in my country here in europe i check local internet ads sites every day for some good deals.....the only good deal was a standard in prostine condition 10 years old and the guy gave a price of 700 i think....it was grabbed in 1 hour from another guy who was faster than me

stratblast

Strat-O-Master
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
in my country here in europe i check local internet ads sites every day for some good deals.....the only good deal was a standard in prostine condition 10 years old and the guy gave a price of 700 i think....it was grabbed in 1 hour from another guy who was faster than me
ive seen better deals and chances at getting a deal on a great gutar on EBAY... lots of folks are selling inherited guitars there or guitars sacrificed during divorces.... etc....

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon

I paid $5k for my R4

View attachment 572146
Wow. My Brian May cost 6500 new and I bought it as a demo for 4300. That is the most I’ve ever paid for a single guitar. But I could see spending 5K on a Gibson, especially a Gold top or a Custom. 759ABC17-E2DC-46BB-9C10-DE50C677A384.jpeg

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
The overall design did not change. They were still string-through, both hardtail and tremolo. Fender didn't go to top-loading until some of the short-term "experiments" (primarily Japanese models) in the early 80s.
What changed in the 70s was the steel bridge plate and alloy block became a single piece casting, and the saddles went from bent steel to the cast blocks, but they did not have grooves cut like your Squier saddles, though they did show grooves from natural wear over the years.

View attachment 572081
I stripped the low E saddles height adjustment screws on my 79. Found a real replacement and paid 25 dollars. The lesson is, don’t use the neck tilt if you don’t have to. You will have to Jack the saddles up high and the metal isn’t that great. Strips easily.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
I stripped the low E saddles height adjustment screws on my 79. Found a real replacement and paid 25 dollars. The lesson is, don’t use the neck tilt if you don’t have to. You will have to Jack the saddles up high and the metal isn’t that great. Strips easily.
I stripped out my tremolo arm hole in my '78.

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
it would be crazy somebody would put a sticker on it and then the logo over it...why????
I had the same reaction. The post right before this explained that it’s probably a clear sticker, so you’re seeing the E and R under the sticker. It’s like learning how a magic trick was done.

Last edited: