How much time do you spend playing your guitar(s)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Biddlin, Apr 22, 2017.

How much time do you spend playing?

Poll closed Apr 29, 2017.
  1. Less than 1 hour/day

19 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. 1-2 hours/day

35 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. 3-4 hours/day

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. More than 4 hours/day

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

I have always spent a lot of time playing my guitars. I grew up in a musical family and never thought of "practice" as work. I spent a fair part of the seventies on the road playing professionally and even after settling into my government gig, I played with local bands. I always got in at least two hours playing time every day. Now in retirement, I usually get in four hours/day.
    How much time do you put in?

Stark and liltimmy like this.
  2. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

At least 1-3 hours. Too bad it doesn't show [emoji1]

3. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

I'm not gigging, only recording, so it doesn't really matter to me personally. Plus I have a busy job, am on call all the time, and have a house to keep up yada yada yada....
    I've played for thousands of hours over the years and am taking what I know and writing my own stuff now.
    I enjoy that more than gigging anyway.

Biddlin and Mansonienne like this.
  4. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

I try to dedicate an hour or two per day to playing. Its a nice relaxing distraction from work, real life, etc.

Some days though, I just can't spare the time. :(

SSJR, Nate D, velvet_man and 6 others like this.
  5. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

During the weekdays it can be tough but I try for at least an hour to wind down after work. On the weekends it can be 4 or more per day. I'm usually up by 6 so I can get in a couple of hours before anyone wakes up. Our band practices on Sundays from 7-10 so there's that too.

Biddlin and Mansonienne like this.
  6. Jigglebone

Jigglebone Senior Stratmaster

No time to practice atm except on weekends. Wish I had more time.

Biddlin likes this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I'm happy if I can pick my guitar up. Some days it's not physically possible, so none of the options in the poll really apply.

Hairy Bear and Biddlin like this.
  8. Chief101

Chief101 Senior Stratmaster

Not nearly enough. Job, 3 kids, wife, honey-dos, yard work and various unexpected tasks tend to take priority. I practice more on the weeks leading up to my performances at church.

If I spent as much time practicing as I do looking at this forum I'd be exceptionally well rehearsed and have much greater skill. ST is an obstacle to greatness.

9. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

I try to put in 1 hour every day. Sometimes all I get in is a rendition of Workin Man Blues.

trb1 and Biddlin like this.
  10. 76Burst

76Burst Strat-Talker

I'm retired and don't have a lot time commitments these days so I can play as much as I like which turns out to be quite a bit. Pretty sweet.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Not nearly enough lately, quite frankly. I need to get through some personal things that are sapping my motivation.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    smithstrato and Biddlin like this.
  12. Biddlin

Would make a great needlework sampler to display over a computer desk.

FormerTeleGuy and mad axe man like this.
  13. Biddlin

I am subject to fits of melancholy, but have programmed myself to just get out the gear and play.

StratSounds likes this.
  14. anderz

anderz Senior Stratmaster

5 to 15 minutes if I even pick them up.

It's only when I feel like it but my playing habits are as good as ever.

These days playing guitar and music is on a lower scale of priority though I am independent and have plenty of time.

Biddlin likes this.
  15. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

I play more during the cold weather than now

my first love is riding, so if the weather is good I'm riding- but I still try to get in an hour or so with the guitar, Lord knows I need the practice

16. dreamingstrat

dreamingstrat Strat-Talker

I do play at church.. so whenever Im scheduled to play, thats the only time I pick up the guitar the week before and start practicing the songs. I'm usually better when I regularly practice scales, or just do some finger speed/strengthening exercises, I go for a full hour or maybe 30-45mins at least. but most of the time, I just look at my guitar cases and wish that I have 27 hours a day!

17. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit!

How much time do you spend playing your guitar(s)

Not nearly what they deserve however I will plead that my life gets in the way...but I'm planning to sue...I'll pay for this!...probably with a nice old SG.:cool:

18. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

I'm convinced my guitar chops would be utter trash if I had grown up someplace warm and fun. -20 degrees and three channels on the rabbit ears will inspire you. A big Marshall or other tube amp running is like an auxiliary heater. Play to stay warm. I play best in dry 90+ degree weather. If u ain't sweating your blues can't be hot!

19. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Hello,

At some point in time, to get anywhere with the guitar or any musical instrument, you'll find ( hopefully ) a period of a couple of years or more, where everything comes together, & snowballs quite quickly, from quality time dedicated to nothing but the instrument, & the desire to play it & music well.

By the time I was 19-20, I was playing better than I do now, as I could pretty much play what came into my mind, out on my guitar. I could play along to any song on the radio, & get away pretty well with playing to all my favorite stuff.

And then there's stuff that you have to sit down & learn, as it's a written part, that needs to be played as written, so that the band is playing what's composed. These tunes are much harder to learn & play too, as they're part specific. But these tunes also get you up to the standard written above.

Today I'm lucky if I'm even interested in playing once a week or so, simply because I've more or less accomplished what I wished to achieve on the guitar, or in music itself, & have other interests to full-fill. This said, 1/2-hour or so bringing my ears in-tune again, & stretching the fingers out, sees me capable of playing to nearly anything again.

Playing in a band or jamming with friends on a regular basis should give you the will to play more often, so your practice time increases, & so your skill level advances.

Ciao, & keep at it, as everyday you do move closer to the next plateau. And then you start over again.

Rastus

Biddlin, chrimturn and Chief101 like this.
  20. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

I am always absently playing one riff or another. usually [practicing the sections of songs I find most difficult. so almost always have my guitar in my hand. That is not bragging. I have been blessed to be able to spend so much time. with it. I may ACTUALLY play about 1-2 hours a day. But I am often "fiddling" for up to six.