How much would you pay for a Mexican made guitar

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by horax, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I paid $800 for my Baja Tele brand new 2-1/2 years ago. It is my favorite guitar ever, but that is my limit.

fullsizeoutput_32b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_32c.jpeg fullsizeoutput_32d.jpeg fullsizeoutput_32e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_32f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_330.jpeg fullsizeoutput_331.jpeg

2. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Strat-Talker

About 750 or so for my Baja tele and I think a little bit more for my road worn strat. I don’t remember exactly. It’s been a few years so I don’t precisely remember. Both of these guitars are as nice as my MIA guitars, IMO. So I was cool with the price tag.

HazyPurple and Ebidis like this.
  3. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

I will pay up to about $650 to $700 for one.
    Mostly because that is the price where you start to get into "decent used American Standard" models.
    I know the question becomes "well, what it the MIM plays better than the MIA?"
    In that case, I suppose the person selling the MIM needs to drop the price because I can also try really hard and find a Squire that can also play better than an MIA and pay less.

HazyPurple and Ebidis like this.
  4. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I could see the fender lineup moving to include a "Mexico Custom Shop".

I imagine some of the people in Ensenada have accumulated a great deal of experience by now. They would probably welcome a chance to showcase their skills.

And give marketing something to do.

5. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Strat-Talker

I understand what you are saying. And I agree IF those guitars have the set of specs u are wanting. In my case I was looking for a set of specs not represented in Am St. If one is looking for something with more vintage appointments, there are some cool MIM options.

HazyPurple likes this.
  6. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Senior Stratmaster

Can you play one before buying. Pricey, are they expecting it to be collectable?

7. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

I paid $250 for the first one they got @ Connecticut Music in 1992

8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I bought a player series tele close to 2 years ago. Payed just under $650 new. The most I've spent on any guitar.
    Have a player series strat due in cost me $550.
    Problem is it only comes with a white pg...so add $25 more for a black one. The 2nd most money I've ever spent on a guitar.
    Did I overpay for either?
    No...not in my eyes. This stuff brings me so much fun & enjoyment that it's worth it to me.

HazyPurple and jtoomuch like this.
  9. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Senior Stratmaster

You could also get a nice used G&L USA for less, and have a really great guitar

HazyPurple and CalicoSkies like this.
  10. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

A couple years ago I bought a new, unused fiesta red Deluxe Nashville Telecaster loaded body from Stratosphere on ebay. Then I bought a new and unused Deluxe Nashville Telecaster neck w/locking Fender tuners, also from Stratosphere. Since it was the only one of each he had at the time, I suspect they originally came together.

I paid somewhere between $650 and 700 all together and got as close to a customized guitar as I could have wanted.

HazyPurple and Cali Dude like this.
  11. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster

I paid about 750€ for my Blackmore.
    They are way higher priced these days (about $1200).
    Not a bad deal for a scalloped guitar with USA parts and Duncan pickups(just 2) still, in my opinion.

All the best,
    Robin

HazyPurple likes this.
  12. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

That's what @Guitarmageddon, who I have much respect for, keeps hammering home, so I did that yesterday to my Am. FS Tx Spec. Still fiddling a bit to keep the volume levels on all the pickups even but made a world of difference on the neck pickup.

Going to do the same to m HSH Player and see how that does.

macoshark and Guitarmageddon like this.
  13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Only one I ever bought new in the store was the Carl Thompson. Now I shop @Lonn's clean used guitars at fair prices.....:D

Deathray and Bob the builder like this.
  14. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

The prices are the prices. If they’re too high for you, buy used.

HazyPurple and Anacharsis like this.
  15. _MS_

_MS_ Strat-Talker

This makes me wonder :

If Fender decides for whatever weird reason to relocate the existing custom shop (including tools and staff) to the Mexico factory, would people still be ready to pay the same price ?

Would it turn the Mexico factory into the “main”, “real” factory and there would suddenly be a premium to pay (beyond the specs) because a guitar comes from that factory, just like with today’s USA models ?

jtoomuch likes this.
  16. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I don't see that happening.
    Their current CS employees are US citizens and residents of California.
    Those people are not going to want to move to Ensenada, and even if they do, the tax laws are extremely complicated when you are actually working in another country.
    I could see them bugging out of California and moving the facility to Scottsdale where the offices are.

As far as whether people would pay the higher prices for a MiM product?
    Look at the Charvel, Jackson, and EVH.

Personally, I would pay market price for something that I like if the quality is to my liking.
    I've bought brand-new off-the rack US-made guitars for anywhere from $600 to $2600 with HSC.
    I've bought Asian imports for anywhere from $150 to $750 with gig bags.

We need to remember what what we paid 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, or 20 years ago has little bearing on the price today.
    When I paid $600 for my US Strat, minimum wage was $2.90 and you could get a pretty nice car for $5,000.

jtoomuch, Baelzebub and arcticstrat like this.
  17. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

The most I ever paid for an MIM by far was $786.24 for the Robert Cray Signature. I had to have a hard tail. As a bonus, turns out the pickups are awesome too.

Next most expensive was the 2017 Classic Player ‘60s that came in at $527.99

2018 Player Buttercream w/maple came in at $519.99

I paid even less for my 2015 Classic Series ‘50s and ‘60s strats..

These were all bought brand new with warranty. I talk them down the best I can. I am also big on the 15% and up sales. ;)

Although, I have noticed, it’s been getting harder and harder to get the discounts lately. And they have not been giving them out on holidays like they use to on Memorial Day, Father's Day, Independence Day, Back to School, etc. I hear folks here on the board saying, “wait for the Labor Day sale”, but I’m betting the 3-4 major stores GC, WWBW, MF, SW, CME are not going to advertise a discount like usual this Labor Day, other than 0% financing, which of course benefits none of that pay in full at purchase time.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    HazyPurple likes this.
  18. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

1Riv.1.jpg DSCN1817.JPG I would not set a limit on how much I'd pay for any guitar. I think $700 for a MiM Player is steep, but not necessarily over priced. $1200 for some more exotic MiMs might be a bit much considering I just bought an Epi Riviera P-93 for $800 and a USA Gibson LP Tribute Goldtop for $900.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  19. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Country of Origin matters little, to me; I'm much more concerned about the quality of the item than where it originated.

I put some stock in brand and price point for quality judgement because the market generally winnows such perceptions down over time, and with brands like Fender, that function has had a long time to act. "The test of time," etc.

For others, there's cartouche value to be had in COI equal or higher than in brand.

Takes all kinds to make a world.

Baelzebub, Anacharsis and CB91710 like this.
  20. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

It depends on the model year and the color...i think i spent was like 900 bucks on my burgundy mist strat classic series 60s

Bladesg likes this.