How much would you pay for a Mexican made guitar

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by horax, Aug 29, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Strat-Talk Member

About 3 years ago I tried a BP silver tele in a music store. Played it through a vintage 65 deluxe reverb. It sounded fantastic. The neck felt great and loved the weight. I wanted one ever since. This past July my wife got one for me for my birthday. It has fast become my favorite guitar. I took it to a local guy (Freddy Gabrsek has done Alex Lifesons set up for years) and had the nut replaced with bone. The set up was fantastic and now plays better than my 52 Custom shop journey man relic. I've recently given up gigging so don't really need to keep 2 electrics. Been concentrating on my acoustics more. So I've been thinking of selling one of my electrics. The 52 custom shop has a big nocaster U neck, which is my favorite neck profile but that is the only thing about the guitar that I favor over the BP silver tele. Everything else about the silver tele I like better. The pickups sound beautiful through my Tone King Sky King. I thought my 52 custom shop sounded great and it does but after playing my silver tele the 52 sounds a little under whelming. I can't believe I'll be choosing my Mexican silver tele over the 52 custom shop but it is what it is. I'm not going by where the guitar is made. I'm going by which one I like better.

horax likes this.
  2. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Good luck getting Fender to give you a HSC for less than a 1K guitar.

3. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I don't care where it was made. China, Mexico, USA, Indonesia... They are all equally imported to me and country of origin doesn't really mean anything. For a new guitar I'd pay whatever the asking price if I wanted it and could afford it.

For a used guitar I'd pay around 60% of the original price, maybe a bit more if it wad hard to find and I really wanted it.

Paperback Rocker and CB91710 like this.
  4. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

5. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

I like the player series but $700 new is a bit much. Used is the way to go on that guitar.

6. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

I have no "stopping point." I pay for what the value of the guitar is to me. I've paid the brand new, market price for a Classic Player 50s Stratocaster and a Classic Player Baja 50s Telecaster. If the value was $800, and I wanted either, I would have paid it. If the value was $8000, the same. I don't care where it comes from if the value is appropriate for the price and I want/need it.

Cerb likes this.
  7. Irzal

Irzal Strat-Talk Member

But how? Where did you close this deal? In Europe, you can't find a new Player Tele or Strat below 700 usd. Player B stock on Thomann (huge Germany based seller) is around 650 usd. New MIJs go for 1100 usd, and if you want a new California made Fender you must prepare at least 1500 usd...Used MIMs (i.e. from 2016) go for 450-480 usd...

8. Jerseystratfiend

Jerseystratfiend Senior Stratmaster

My number 1, a 1993 MIM strat, cost £295 when I bought her new... only Mexican instrument I have ever bought. Not sure what the maximum I would pay for a random MIM guitar is, but I know it would take an awful lot of money for me to part with mine...
    20200812_175501.jpg

Stratbats and HazyPurple like this.
  9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I paid $ 879 for my Vintera 70’s Strat in Sienna Sunburst, about a year ago. I thought that was rather pricey when I bought it new, but now you cant find one. I like it better than my American Special, but not as much as my HM Strat reissue. They are all so different.

jtoomuch likes this.
  11. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

I paid $824 USD for my Vintera 50s Modified Tele (new) in March of this year. Worth every penny easily. Flawless build, buttery neck, great pickups, awesome tone, just a great guitar.

12. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

How much would I pay? For the right one, $500-600 range.

HazyPurple likes this.
  13. Scooter

Scooter Strat-Talk Member

I don’t understand why there needs to be any price point limitation based on where an instrument is made.

14. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I bought a MIM Standard Fat Strat (HSS) in 2004 for $450. I don't like that prices keep creeping up over the years, and I know inflation is probably a factor, but sometimes it seems like the prices are getting a bit steep. Several years ago, I saw there was a newer MIM Deluxe Strat for about $800, which replaced the earlier Deluxe Player's Strat (which was about $600). I thought $800 was getting to be a bit high for a MIM Strat, but that would probably be worth it if it was my first Strat. IMO the people working in the Fender factory in Mexico (or anywhere) should earn a decent living just as much as anyone (though I know the cost of living in Mexico is probably lower than in the US).

15. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

That's true. I've also heard good things about G&L's Tribute guitars, which are made overseas.

Cali Dude likes this.
  16. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

The question is: How much of the increased price is actually going to the workers? Prices of the final product have risen 40% in the past decade or so, but I'm not sure wages for Fender Mexico workers have.

But yep, cost of living in a lot of mexican cities is a fraction of what it is in a lot of US cities.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  17. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I see similar statements all the time in these type of threads. My question is: Does anybody really think that every time Fender has a price hike all of the workers get raises?

18. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

I paid $600 for a used 60s Baja Tele with HSC. My son was shocked I'd pay that much for a Mexican Tele. I told him new they are almost $900 new and with the case the package would retail for a grand. It's good instrument and according to the market, I got a good value. To me that's all that matters....quality instrument at a fair market value so if I decide to move on I don;t lose my shirt.

HazyPurple likes this.
  19. Adf91081

Adf91081 Strat-Talk Member

I’m sort of in line with archetype... you pay what the individual guitar is worth to you. I bought an old MIM road worn strat the other day for £550 (came with upgraded pick ups). I got home and sold my American pro. At that point I got over the ‘where is it made’ thing. Probably more important questions are, ‘how was it made’, and ‘what can I do now that I have it to make it better’. The answer to the first is easy... at the standard level, most are made in pretty much the same way, cnc etc. So does it matter where this took place. I think the key is the second question.

HazyPurple and chicago slim like this.
  20. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

I think of this question from the opposite angle. Why do we fork out ridiculous money for a US made guitar when the MIM are so good? The MIM are (were?) priced fairly, the US have always been over priced, because we’d pay it.

HazyPurple and chicago slim like this.