How old to be called "Vintage"?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Vintage59, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

I'm starting to see more and more folks referring to stratocasters built in the 70s and 80s as being "vintage". To me, in terms of guitars and related gear, "vintage" is at least from the 50's and 60's. Maybe I'm just old? I dunno...but I found these definitions:

Before 1920 it's antique, 1920-1980 is vintage, copies of older eras are called retro, and newer stuff is contemporary or modern, though the exact definitions are disputed.

Technically vintage means something is at least 20 years old. Antique used to mean at least 100 years old, but now the distinction has blurred a bit and people use the term antique to refer to something 50-75 years old. To me, if it isn't over 100, its vintage!

What do you guys think?

2. Stratplayer

Stratplayer Senior Stratmaster

Oh boy, can of worms anyone? :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

It depends on who you ask; for strats (and Fender guitars in general) many will say anything made pre-CBS; but I believe as time moves on the line that separates "vintage" from "contemporary" must also move on. I'd personally say anything over 25-30 years old, maybe older. Obviously a '54 strat will always be more desirable than a '70s or '80s strat, but to me that doesn't keep the less desirable guitars from ever being considered "vintage".

3. Musician78

Musician78 Strat-Talker

Jesus.. Not to digress, but that reminds me... the other day I heard a DJ call Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction "classic rock". When I was a kid, Skynyrd was classic rock.....

Carry on...

4. dmuncaster

dmuncaster Strat-O-Master

I don't think the term 'classic rock' existed when I was a kid, but the coolest fm radio station in town played just about anything, as long as it WASN'T a hit.
    So yeah, vintage is a matter of perspective. The band Nirvana was formed over 20 years ago, so they're almost in the 'classic rock' era.
    I say 25 years, and it's vintage.

5. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

GnR must go way back, because Bob Dylan sang one of their songs ! So did Eric Clapton !

One of my kids informed me they wrote Knockin on Heaven's Door !

6. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

Here is Vintage

[​IMG]

7. dmuncaster

dmuncaster Strat-O-Master

Isn't that 'road worn'?

8. Ivan-Horvat

Ivan-Horvat Strat-Talker

Relic. =P

9. gcat

gcat Senior Stratmaster

10. guitargeekaz

guitargeekaz Senior Stratmaster

I'm 45 and consider myself vintage at this point... and unfortunately a little relic'd too

11. vonasemj

vonasemj Strat-O-Master

I also think of anything over 25 years old as being vintage

12. mavman

mavman Strat-Talker

Anything 3 decades from present. 70's stuff is vintage stuff now considered in the likes of George Gruhn.. Another 10 years and it will be the 80's.

13. fenson

fenson ----------------------

I agree with the OP . Also I don't get the whole vintage collecting thing. I kind of understood the want of getting Fender and Gibson guitars from the 50's and 60's .. in the 70's cause neither Fender or Gibson where producing quality guitars IMO , for the most part. Today and for some time now those companies have turned things around, so a person can buy guitars of equal quality or better quality. Why this insane vintage collecting and pricing still exisits is beyond my understanding .

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  14. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

It's fairly easy to understand, people collect them and are prepared to pay for them,. It's not rocket science :rolleyes:

15. fenson

fenson ----------------------

Come on John take her easy will ya. Did you read the entire post. Lots of stuff isn't Rocket Science :rolleyes: Lots of stuff is beyond understanding like murder and my spelling mistakes.
    You know very well I was using a figure or speach! Having a off day? Or am I reading ya wrong.
    But thanks for the whatever that was!

Not rocket science for sure, good con game though! oh! oh! better ad IMO before guys jump me.

16. xen_

xen_ Strat-Talker

Yeah, I remember back in the late 70s and people were telling me not to buy a Fender because they were complete crap and if you wanted the real Fender sound you had to get a pre-CBS one.

But then we wanted the classic sound of the 60s, nowadays people also want the classic sound of the 70s and 80s and thus the instruments that produced them.

As John wrote, it's not rocket science ... it's economics. Today Fender, in effect, produces enough guitars to satisfy the demand at their chosen price point. "Vintage" instruments are necessarily in limited supply.

As far 'antique' and 'vintage' are concerned, I always thought that antique meant at least a century and vintage something less (eg 25 yrs). And yes, if you think of the 80s as fairly recent (I know I do), it's 'cause you're old. :)

17. Gypsy Eyes

Gypsy Eyes Strat-O-Master

IMO,

Pre 80's, But that's just my opinion. I still see something 80's as maybe rare or old but not exactly Vintage.

18. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

I can agree with this. It's certainly a sliding scale as time marches on.

Keith Richards is certainly vintage, road worn, reliced, and rode hard then put away wet. I think science should study his DNA because by all accounts that guy shouldn't still be alive after all the abuse he's treated himself to. I also think I very much prefer his guitar playing to his singing. :D

Fenson makes some good points. Fender quality has really made a huge comeback in recent years leaving me to wonder why so many people are still willing to pay sky high premiums for vintage instruments - especially perplexing for the lower quality '70s CBS models.

19. 357mag

357mag Senior Stratmaster

The pricing is ridiculous. $16,000.00 for a 65 Strat. When you consider the great quality that is produced now in even some of the Mexican Strats what is so great about a vintage guitar? Besides if you recorded a song with a vintage Strat and then re-recorded it with a newer Strat I doubt you would be able to tell a noticeable difference.

It's the crazy world in which we live.

20. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

I did read the whole thread and the numerous threads on this same subject raised here and other places. Many people say they don't understand, when they probably mean they wouldn't pay the sort of prices old stuff can go for.

Seeing another post about 'not understanding vintage stuff:D', and the dog barking downstairs made me snappy:p

It is dead easy to understand. People collect old things, that get rarer as time goes on, hence prices rise. With the stuff we play, it's nothing to do with how good or bad it is, it's all about economics.