How old to be called "Vintage"?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Vintage59, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Musician78

Musician78 Strat-Talker

Imagine how many 15 year olds must "know" that Metallica wrote "Turn the Page".....the shame......

2. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

There is nothing great about most old stuff. Having played the stuff back then, IMO modern stuff beats old hands down. It's rarity and people wanting to collect. Nothing at all wrong with that. No one forces people to buy.

I read the other day about Nick Mason spending something like £17k for a particular Ferrari back in the 70s. It's now worth over £40 million.

Is it pretty? Yes.

Does it drive better than modern cars? A definite no.

It is rare and there are people around who would buy it.

3. fenson

fenson ----------------------

????? I doubt even a rocket science guy knows WTF thats susposed to mean.:p

Thanks for tring to explain it to me though, as John did also . But I do not buy into the vintage collecting of things which are as readily available today as then! And thats all I gota say about that.

4. fenson

5. xen_

xen_ Strat-Talker

It means that until Fender lay their hands on a time machine they can't go back and make as many 59 Strats (or even 74 Teles) as there are people who want to buy them in 2010. :D

6. fenson

still no go IMO Fender has already done so starting in say 82 with the JV and continuing on with the AVRI line and CS and and and!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. xen_

xen_ Strat-Talker

From memory the highest price paid for a musical instrument was around $15,000,000.00 for an old violin. ;)

EDIT: Nope sorry memory fails me. It went for a mere £947,500 ($1,6mill). Hmm, you know at that price I can start feeling GAS coming on ... :p

8. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

However, there are many who do buy into it, hence the reason for increasing prices. People who cannot afford or get hold of 50's & 60's stuff, have just moved on to the next decade. As the stock of those slowly disappear, then they will move on to the 80s and so on.

In the meantime, the 50s & 60s stuff keep going up. Will the later decades go up as well? Who knows. Perhaps particular models or limited runs. It doesn't really bother me. I am lucky enough to have a range of modern guitars that play and sound good. That's good enough for me.

Do I regret selling my pre CBS Strat? Sure I do, but only because it would be worth around £20k and would be a nice addition to my pension fund. :D

9. fenson

I doubt if the guitar and amp thing (vintage market) will survive for any length of time once the baby Boomers are gone! Who knows it may, already other markets (vintage) are failing , like Base ball cards, Comics , toys etc.

10. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

I'd actually rather have an AVRI than a grossly overpriced strat from 50s or 60s, just from the maintenance standpoint alone.

All instruments need maintenance. The older guitar is always going to be a PITA tug-o-war between keeping it "original" and playable. And why buy it if your not gonna play it?

For my situation, I'd rather send my kids to college than spend crazy money on a guitar.

11. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

Yeah ... but can you imagine a different scenario:

- HWJ: "You like that song? That's 'Hey Joe' by Jimi Hendrix!"
    - HWJ's son/daughter: "Uhm ... no, Dad, that's not really Jimi's song, he only played it!" :)

Not bad, John! Not bad at all! :mrgreen:

IMO, there's nothing magical about old Fender guitars (some of them are pure gems for sure, but that's not because they're old) or, at least, there shouldn't be. All you have to do is take decent wood, cut it to specs, put some decent finish and hardware on it as well as decent pickups and electronics, set it up properly and that's about it. Ok, it may sound a bit too simple (it isn't that simple of corse) but if you do it right, you're going to end up with a really, really nice guitar (just look at all those great build threads, both here and especially at TDPRI).

12. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

:D

ya think ?

13. Christopherbria

Christopherbria New Member!

That was exactly my reasoning when I went to buy a Tele in '89. I tried "Vintage Telecasters one after the other from '66 to '69' to '72, most were beat to crap, had weird mods, wouldn't stay in tune, and cost 12-1500 (in '89). The ones in nice shape were a lot more. Then I went to M.A.E. in S.Florida, kinda like a Mars but years before Mars or Guitar Centers were around. I ordered a Tobacco Burst American Standard with a maple neck and white pick guard, for 500 and change w/ case, what came in a week later was one with a rosewood fretboard, I snapped it up anyway. My point is I got a sweet Tele that I still have and will never sell (I did change the pickguard to black) for way less than a "vintage" guitar that I deemed unreliable.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  14. Christopherbria

Christopherbria New Member!

That was exactly my reasoning when I went to buy a Tele in '89. I tried "Vintage Telecasters one after the other from '66 to '69' to '72, most were beat to crap, had weird mods, wouldn't stay in tune, and cost 12-1500 (in '89). The ones in nice shape were a lot more. Then I went to M.A.E. in S.Florida, kinda like a Mars but years before Mars or Guitar Centers were around. I ordered a Tobacco Burst American Standard with a maple neck and white pick guard, for 500 and change w/ case, what came in a week later was one with a rosewood fretboard, I snapped it up anyway. My point is I got a sweet Tele that I still have and will never sell (I did change the pickguard to black) for way less than a "vintage" guitar that I deemed unreliable.

15. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

he'd be right ;)

16. Nihonstrat

Nihonstrat Strat-Talker

Is my 80's MIJ strat a vintage? They weren't makeing many in Japan much before that were they? Also if the guitar sounds halfway decent does it even matter?

17. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right!

Using that math, a 1980 Strat is Vintage as of 1/1/10. Which I can accept, though I think it's more of comparative scale then a hard and fast one...

For instance, a 1970 Camaro is a Classic, but a 1975 isn't, as the changes to the design are very UNDESIRABLE. A '75 Strat is vintage and collectable, despite that fact that it's full of less desirable features.

For me, anything that I can say, "I remember when that came out..." is vintage/classic, or if of poor quality, just old. The scary thing is, there's a LOT of things I now remember that way, even though it sure doesn't seem like 31 years since I first heard Sultans of Swing...

18. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

I wouldn't think twice about paying 15 grand for this '65 if I made, say, 40+ grand a year

[​IMG]

19. mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular Strat-Talker

If we want to get technical, we could look at the car world. Vintage and Antique (Classic is more of a marketing term) are all interchangeable from a legal standpoint. Most states require a car to be 25 years or older to be considered vintage/antique, and get special license plates. Now, commonly cars that are 25-50 years older are considered vintage, and cars older than 50 are considered antique/classic. This is probably a good way to judge guitars too.

If you want to get even more technical, vintage is really a designation of the year something was made (since it comes from the dating process for wines). So you would be correct in saying that your guitar was a 2002 vintage, although you'd sound pretty silly saying it.

20. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

Hugh, did you see that guitar somewhere in person or is it something you've only seen on-line?