Join Strat-Talk Today

How The Electronics / Pickups Setup Affect The Tone of The Guitar

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by SurfErDud29, Feb 2, 2020.

1. SurfErDud29

SurfErDud29 Strat-Talk Member

Say you were to give two master builders at the custom shop a neck and body (similar) and have them load the same electronics (soldering pups, etc.) in the body, will they sound different? Sure no two guitars sound 'exactly' the same, but what factors would influence the tone (brightness, twang, warmth, etc.) with regards to the set up? I'd love to know what you guys have to say!

Attached Files:

Venuss likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, they would sound the same to my ears.....and if they didn't, it would be down to minute differences in pickup height and setup.......

I think debates like this are pointless......

3. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

There’s only one point to them...

But you totally hit the nail on the head here: this thread is pointless.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    mazzolar59, Jason D, dueducs and 8 others like this.
  4. SurfErDud29

I have no clue; thought I'd ask.

Venuss, 3bolt79 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit is no longer legal tender Strat-Talk Supporter

6. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Strat-O-Master

You got that right.....lol

3bolt79, Thrup'ny Bit and Nate D like this.
  7. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

8. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Exactly. This “new member” posts only troll threads. Kind of interesting that his showing up coincided with the exit of Chuck Hardwater who’s entrance was at the same time as the leaving of Pennyflick.

9. SurfErDud29

I'm relatively new to guitar and asked a simple questions, no need to be all cynical.

Venuss, 3bolt79 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit is no longer legal tender Strat-Talk Supporter

We believe you.

No, honestly. We do.

11. SurfErDud29

Not a matter of belief, but it's this whole 'elitist' attitude towards guitar which drives away newer players, which this forum is evidently filled with. Always the misearable boomers who try and ruin everything.

Venuss likes this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

This is a good place - and I like your enthusiasm and desire for knowledge. The guys that have been here a long time see these same kind of questions asked in threads by new players several times per year, and sometimes it just ends in infighting and guys swearing they have the answer one way or the other. The truth is, in theory when putting 2 identical guitars together they should sound the same. There's no 'soldering magic' or any kind of special thing going on with certain guitars. Stick around!!

13. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Strat-O-Master

Tick Tock

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Sure thing Chuck Hardwater, or should I say Roger Pennyflick?

15. SurfErDud29

Thank you, finding literature online that isn't ridden with pseudoscience and 'mojo' when it comes to guitars is pretty tough, so I thought I'd resort to here. You see a lot of people commenting online in response to pictures of a guitar with something along the lines of "I hope it sounds good!" or "I wonder what it sounds like!", and it got me thinking whether a set of guitars would sound different even with the same pickups. I guess it goes back to the whole 'mojo' deal, similar to how people think Pre-CBS strats are better than any modern day reproduction for some divine reason. Thanks for the encouraging words!

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. SurfErDud29

Honestly have no clue what you're referencing, care to share?

elduderinoTF likes this.
  17. Guitarmageddon

Some guys would say different body woods would give it a different tone, or rosewood vs maple fretboard etc.....but personally I can't hear a difference.....

Nate D, RadioFM74 and Cyberi4n like this.
  18. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

What if the same master builder created two guitars as identical as humanly possible and handed them to two different players, would they sound the same?

If players and guitars were stamped out of some device that was able to replicate every detail exactly the same over and over, then yes, they would sound the same. You need to remember that like players, these guitars are organic in nature. The neck and body, while CNC machined to a certain point is still held by craftsmen against a sanding drum. Material is removed, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, but never exactly the same. Pickups are wound using wire stretched and insulated then cooled in various parts of the world in differing temperatures and humidity. Sometimes more enamel sticks in some spots than in others. That's ok as long as it is within tolerances. Everything is built within tolerances. The sum of the variations within those tolerances are going to result in variation.

If you color a picture of a red rubber ball with a red crayon, then color another picture of a red rubber ball using that same red crayon somebody is going to detect a difference in the reds because you put down two layers of red on the one and three layers of red on the other. Yet they are both red and look identical to most people. They are within the tolerances accepted by most people to be called red and not pink or burgundy.

That's why folks on here are reacting to your question like they are. They are interesting questions, certainly, but there is nothing anyone can point at and say "this is what makes guitar 'A' sound or feel different than guitar 'B'. Obviously everybody recognizes they are different, that's why we try them out before settling on the one we buy.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  19. SurfErDud29

Very detailed response, thanks. I asked from the standpoint of someone who is completely ignorant to the inner workings of the electronics of the guitar, sure I know a bit, but not all that much. It seems people here are under the impression that I'm looking to start a debate on something that's been discussed before. Maybe it has, sure, but not that I know of.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  20. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Strat-O-Master

Play a guitar with a pick, then put the pick down and play the same thing with your thumb. It's going to sound different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.