How The Electronics / Pickups Setup Affect The Tone of The Guitar

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by SurfErDud29, Feb 2, 2020.

1. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I think it's in the combination...
    I can only speak from building a drag car motor....
    Heads
    Pistons
    Cam
    Carbs/injectors
    Block
    Temperature
    Altitude
    Barometrics
    And
    A thousand other things
    And
    It works
    Or
    Kinda a not

Wound_Up and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. Willmunny

Willmunny Strat-O-Master

Keep
    l
    You are correct sir. None of these elitists has ever been even slightly helpful to me

Wound_Up and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

These elitists have never helped me either.

4. KoreGeneral

KoreGeneral Strat-Talker

No-one can drive someone away from playing guitar but his ownself. This is not high school.

3bolt79 and Willmunny like this.
  5. EAllen

EAllen Strat-Talker

The would sound the same except a certain player might keep breaking the high E string on both of them.[emoji51]

Eric

Nate D, Thrup'ny Bit, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  6. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

7. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Your fingers.

Let two players play one master built and it will sound different between them.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

It'll even sound different if you use different picks, for example using a Fender heavy then use a Fender light.

Nate D and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

What happened to Roger, I kinda liked him

10. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

I don’t remember for sure. I had him on ignore for most of his stead on here. Can’t find any of his posts. I think he was booted.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  11. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Right out of the Pennyflic playbook. Coincidentally the exact same thing said by Hardwater. Practically verbatim. You know...there are some pretty intelligent people here. When a pattern is this easy to follow...you really only need to connect the dots. The dots connect very well.

12. fezz parka

He got banned for being himself. Then he rejoined as a Chinese girl, a danish middle aged woman and about thirty other people. There were members who knew this, yet they kept it to themselves. Through using proxy servers and multiple email accounts, he violated every rule that he could. The forum is much better off without him. But...he's still here. ;)

3bolt79, Nate D and Stratoskater like this.
  13. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

The pickups, pots and caps all have tolerance. If those master builders don't choose components with the same measured values, the tone will be slightly different. Pickup height also makes a difference in the tone, and different builders may choose different heights.

If the builders have a little more freedom, and can locate the pickups wherever they want, builder taste will show through a little more.

String choice also makes a difference. One builder might choose flat wounds, which sound different than rounds.

Action makes a difference too. A guitar set up with high action (for slide) won't sound exactly like one set up with super low action. If one is set up with fret buzz and the other isn't, the sound difference can be profound.

RadioFM74, Nate D and 3bolt79 like this.
  14. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Okay, this is for the OP. I have a 79 strat. All original. Ash body. And then I got a Fender Vintera 70’s strat. Ash body. The feel of the neck, three bolts, all similar. Pau Ferro on the Vintera vs maple on the real thing. I adjusted the pickup height on the Vintera to the exact (well as exact as I could measure in 64ths) same height, and A/B’d them with my Mesa Mark V 25 and 1x12 cabinet. They sounded exactly the same to me on all pickup switch positions, except for the neck only, which actually sounded better on the Vintera. I really believe that the pickups and pots, capacitors, makes the the difference for the most part as far as sound goes. The weight of the guitars are 8 lbs on the Vintera, and about 10 and a half pounds on the 79.

The whole tone wood debate has been discussed here, ad nauseum, and the question of which tone wood gives better tone will never be able to be answered. As to how two identically equipped and set up guitars will sound, depends on so many factors, that it is impossible to say which factors made the difference, if any difference was noted.

Supposedly, the pickups on the 70’s Vintera are designed to sound like what was available in the mid to late seventies. So as to why the guitars sounded so similar to me is anybody’s guess. Threads like this are generally of no use to the person asking the question, because there is no way to get a definitive answer. If you want to experiment with your sound, try adjusting your guitars knobs, your amp’s EQ, and try some strings made of different materials. Don’t go down the rabbit hole of spending money, changing pups and such. If you want your guitar to sound different, which I’m not saying that you do or don’t, work with what you’ve got, including pickup heights. Adjust those by using your ears.

Hope this helps a little :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  15. fezz parka

But for those who really want to know...

The setup...relief...string height... Level frets...properly cut nut...make the guitar playable.

The sound though the amplifier...that's pickups...pots...strings...and what you strike the strings with.

Then there's the bottom line(s). The music you play with it, and the players skill level.

I've heard Robben Ford play a Dano U1 through an old Magnatone practice amp...and it was glorious. Not because of the guitar or the amp. Because he is Robben Ford. ;)

16. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

Why is this so prevalent at forums everywhere? There's always the paranoid ones that think every new member is actually some regular troll with a new screen name. Whats up with that? Why are you all so paranoid?

You realize new people ask dumb questions, right? We don't know this stuff so we ask. Jeez.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Hello. Are you really new here or another alias?

18. Stratoskater

It's not because he is new, it's because he posts things that are word for word what Chuck and Roger used to post. Also every thread he has posted here is a topic that will 100% cause controversy.

fezz parka, Nate D and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  19. Thrup'ny Bit

Who starts asking the members who have been here longest if they're paranoid in his 5th post on the forum?

Oh yeah. I remember from the last six or seven times. Roger.

fezz parka, Nate D and Stratoskater like this.
  20. Stratoskater

Me thinks you are correct sir!

fezz parka, Nate D and Thrup'ny Bit like this.