How to clean/polish bridge?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ruscio, May 20, 2020.

1. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

My palm rests on the bridge when I play, but any sweat or gunk deposits are usually easy to wipe clean every so often. I must have neglected the one in the pic for too long. It's an Edge tremolo on an Ibanez RG model, in Cosmo Black. Anything I can do to return it to the original color?

IMG_0411.JPG

ukoldgit likes this.
  2. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

That darker spot on the left?

It looks like it's the plating itself wasn't done too well, and metal underneath is tarnishing. The same thing happened on all the plated parts on my Squier CV 50's strat, and on the tailpiece, bridge and knobs of a LTD Eclipse I used to have.

3. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

The plating was done right. There is nothing that can becdone to avoid what happened. It's a reaction to the acidity of your skin. I had a trombone in college thatcwas silver plated and had to have it replated because of the same thing. The places where my hands touched the instrument turned brass in less than a year. I ended up not playing that instrument unless I had gloves on.
    Skin oil is crazy like that. There is a stone in Cave of the Winds in Colorado that has been touched and rubbed my so many people over the years that it has been polished to a glass finish because of the same thing. So there is nothing that can be done bud. Its a playing scar and your axe needs to wear it with pride.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ruscio, Stratwrangler and Stonetone like this.
  4. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talk Member

People pay obnoxious amounts of money for a guitar that has been artificially "road worn"...yours is at least natural---why would you even want to restore it back to 'new'?
    I'd NEVER buy a new guitar that looks old...but what happens to the guitar in my own hands over the years (as far as wear and tare) is what it is, and I don't mind it.
    Wipe it down with a dry lint-free cloth after you play it, and put it back in its' stand or case.

CFFF likes this.
  5. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Thanks for the info, that's what I feared. Oh well. Not a fan of relics, but that's life. I've got a newer model with same finish on a similar bridge, and I'm noticing that it looks a bit like this after each time I play, but it wipes right off afterward. I'll be more attentive with this one!

Nadnitram and Believer7713 like this.
  6. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Aside from saying the obvious about adjusting technique so your not resting on the bridge I wonder if its possible to get them re plated not sure if its rhodium or ruthenium to achieve cosmo s black but a jeweller might be able to tell you what it is and where to get it done .

7. Believer7713

I'll say that if it's rhodium it will not be worth a replate. A guitar that I am building for a charity will have a police badge in it. Officers badges are Rhodium plated and when I ordered it I found out that the price jumped up almost $1000 per ounce according to the company that makes them.

8. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Wow thats a bit steep then cheaper to buy a new trem , and yeah I follow your builds looking good :thumb:

Believer7713 likes this.
  9. Believer7713

Yeah, it made my bigger cheeks clench too!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    thank you BTW.

Stratwrangler likes this.