How to detect a neck switcheroo?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

There are issues in this thread that worry me far more than a dealer swapping necks on two brand new guitars to please a young customer and make a sale 24 years ago. :D

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    s5tuart, Mr Dunlop and nutball73 like this.
  2. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Yes there would be no way to tell if this was the case. Which I’m not going to go into detail of my theory for this thread but 2 identical guitars swapped necks couldn’t be detected unless one maple and one rosewood. Then maybe there’s a record of it with fender.

3. revtime

revtime Strat-Talker

The system that the store employees are supposed to do the right thing. I have contacts at my local GC. If I wandered in just before closing on a sunday I am damn sure I could get them to swap a neck for me. I would have to guarantee I am going to buy the thing but they would do it.
    Just like the manager today that did the wrong thing and put that junk guitar back on the wall.
    And if I bought a white strat with rosewood that is what I wanted. I would not give a damn if the serial came up as maple.
    Work the system. Dont let it work you.

4. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

If you swap a neck onto a body to make a new color/wood combo that doesn’t exist for that model it would be known. And fender won’t allow an authorized dealer to do that because when a color combo is not available they want people going to the mod shop or custom shop, not just asking the local guitar center dude to make him a partscaster for the same price.

5. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Putting that crap guitar back in the wall is an apples and oranges situation.

6. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

You must have missed what I said somehow? Or maybe I wasn't clear? If I wasn't, I apologize for that. If one left with maple and one left with rosewood and they were switched before being sold, it would surely be easy to tell. As soon as they pulled up the records that showed it should have a maple neck and it has rosewood, something ain't right.

So yes. It would be immediately apparent to anyone with the guitar/pics of the guitar and the factory build specs in front of them.

That's why I made the statement that the only way I'd do it as an employee would be if they were already sold and the 2 customers agreed to trade necks. There may be plenty of reason to switch. If you're switching necks & bodies that are visually the same, one guitar could be 2 lbs heavier than the other, but have a nicer feeling neck. Or any number of things. You could have somebody like Scotty G that doesn't like the grain. It could be any number of things. But I was only referring to necks that were different, i.e. 1 maple & 1 rosewood.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  7. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Maybe it was me that wasn't clear. If you take two new Strats of the same colour and switch the necks, nobody can tell. For instance the player stratocaster is available in white with either a maple or rosewood neck. So anyone could swap the necks and you couldn't tell, because Fenders database would state the neck wood and the body colour. Quite why you would bother when you could just buy the one you want is anyone's guess...

Of course if you took the maple neck off a white one and put it on a black one then maybe it wouldn't tally with Fender's database, even though the player is available with either neck. But I can't verify that 'cos I don't have a Fender to test the theory. My Telecaster neck doesn't show up in the Fender database (I know it's a genuine replacement neck, btw).

8. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker Silver Member

Yikes, we're a little touchy... Even untouched by the store the neck in your new strat came randomly out of a batch of necks made for that series and sometimes other series, depending on left over inventory ;). Removing and reinstalling 4 screws will do a minimal amount of wear, about as much as unboxing the guitar, besides a lot of players like to loosen the neck screws to allow the neck to seat fully, so same thing !

AS long as you're buying new, how can it matter ? If the guitar looks and plays great and comes with a warranty then go home happy, have a NGD, don't nitpick the little markings on the Natural WOOD. You're VERY Lucky to be able to buy a new guitar, to take home and enjoy! Not all of us can do that for a variety of reasons. Like the significant other :(, the rents due :eek:, music room already filled :cool: Arms shake so bad you can't hold it:mad:.

2 things I live by, well maybe three. 1. If it ain't broke, fix it anyway. 2. don't go looking for problems, unless you're bored, 3. Be thankful for what you have.

s5tuart likes this.
  9. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker Silver Member

I agree, what the user did was dishonest and in fact stealing, should have asked the store to do the swap or order him the neck he wanted.

You want real dishonest ! I briefly worked as a mechanic for a small taxi company with about 20 cars, when a serious defect like a bad motor arose they solved it by hiring someone to RENT a similar vehicle and swapped the engines. As no one checked engine number when renting a car, they could not prove when it happened, and they always used a licensed person down on their luck to do it.

Needless to say, I left and reported them to the police dept and had to run for my life when they found out. I am many things but not a thief

CalicoSkies likes this.
  10. revtime

revtime Strat-Talker

Deceitful is deceitful. No apples n oranges about it. He is screwing someone who is less knowledgeable. And if he would do that he would do anything guitar related for a buck.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  11. Intune

Sure this probably does happen. That wasn’t my point. If you say the manager in this store you shop at will do that please let us know where this store is. Most of us would not shop there. That’s not working the system or the system beating me. That’s a moron that if caught would be fired.

Mr Dunlop likes this.
  12. Intune

Not to beat this to death here. Just a few guys don’t seem to think not right, it’s ok to make a custom Strat. So there’s a member on here @Parksie that ran into this situation.

He bought a guitar that’s now reached collector statues. I’m not 100% sure on the details but I think it was bought at a mom and pop shop, Italy maybe?

It’s a 89 corona made 62 Strat reissue loaded body in fiesta red with a early 80’s Fullerton 57 reissue maple strat neck. Was told I think that it came factory like that. Not likely and even if a authorized dealer at the time swapped necks to satisfy a customer then, it ended up in the hands of someone else as a hybrid or custom.

Beautiful guitar either way but on the other hand not worth much to a collector. I know no one on here is a collector, you guys keep guitars for life. That’s not the point. This guitar did pop up for sale once the real player decided to move it along.

It’s a museum quality hybrid guitar and in a way a shame that it’s had a neck switcharoo. So all dollar value aside imagine all the issue that would arise if guys at dealers started swapping parts to make a sale? It would be insane if this was the case.

13. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

I just noticed mine says "Fember." Is that a fake?

s5tuart likes this.
  14. Intune

Take it into a GC, ask the manager to swap the neck out, toss him a couple bucks. :thumbd:

revtime and s5tuart like this.
  15. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Can someone provide a brief summary of what this thread is about?

16. Intune

It’s real confusing really. Supposedly it’s about a potential neck switcharoo on American standard bought 20 years or so ago. This is what the OP said.

Basically asking if one was to do this would there be a way to tell. Went into great detail about a vintage reissue but no mention of the American standard in question.

So if one was to swap a vintage reissue neck between two identical guitars would fender or a retailer be able to tell? Say a AO 50’s 2tsb with maple neck and a identical guitar. Then return to the retailer.

17. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Ah.

20 years ago? The 'make it right' ship has sailed.

Swap necks and return to retailer? Pure dishonesty and douchbaggery, whoever does this should get a punch in the nose.

Intune likes this.
  18. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Sometimes I feel like I don’t belong. Whenever I’ve bought a guitar that I liked it’s never even been a thought to take it apart to study it.

19. revtime

revtime Strat-Talker

You all realize the guitar was designed to come apart right? I cant help but giggle as I write this. Really Leo would be outraged by this pretending to holy grail some of these gits. Its a tool. A tool designed by a genius to not be obsolete if something wears out.
    I know your heads gonna pop off if somebody swaps a neck somewhere between the forest and check out at GC.
    But get over it. Lots of necks and bodies have been separated over the last 70 years.
    If you do not want a bolt on neck type guitar then petition Fender to do them all set neck or neck through.

20. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Hey Intune just saw your post.

To clarify some of the specifics, my guitar was originally purchased (by the one previous owner) in a store in Singapore in April 1990.

The store is the largest in Singapore.

I can only assume that the neck was swapped over before it was sold and I ended up with this hybrid guitar which comprises a Fullerton 57' neck from 1982 and a Corona 62' loaded body from 1989.

I think I've got a good guitar as its pretty much unique - anyway that's my line of thinking :D

Cheers :thumb:

Unknown copy 2.jpeg

IMG_0869.JPG

dscottyg and revtime like this.