How to detect a neck switcheroo?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Oct 4, 2021.

1. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

You are being obtuse.

2. revtime

revtime Strat-Talker

I am deliberately having an opinion?
    Then yes I am being obtuse.

3. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

yeah I knew I was off on where you bought the guitar. Italy I don’t know where that came from. I think there was a surf green Fullerton sale going down that was questionable.

Also no doubt your guitar is great but wouldn’t it be nice if it was original. That’s all I was trying to point out in a neck switcharoo.

Some people think since it’s literally a bolt on neck it doesn’t matter. That’s the way it was designed. Yes that is correct. You can bolt on whatever parts you want. You’ll just never be able to sell it as original anymore.

4. Intune

We all get your point. You are right it’s a bolt on neck, you win. It’s your opinion, great. THIS is not what this threads about. This is 2021 not 1970. People will loose there marbles if spending thousands on a guitar and years later find out your shady buddy at GC swapped a neck around.

You are the one that doesn’t see that as a problem. It’s not your opinion this would actually at some point be called fraud. Fender factory is not in the woods. All documentation goes with every major part of a guitar these days. Again it’s 2021 not back in the day or whatever time period your stuck in.

5. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I'd just like to say he's not the only one who doesn't see it as a problem. If the guitar plays well and I like the look, I buy/play it. I don't forensically examine it to check everything is "Fender installed". And in fact it's impossible to tell in many cases, (as has been pointed out).

Unfortunately the world we now live in seems to get overly stressed about minutiae and looks to blame/sue/cancel people at the slightest hint of an issue. As if they are always perfect...

(Rant over)

revtime likes this.
  6. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Can the OP provide MRI pics of said neck?

nutball73 likes this.
  7. Intune

I actually couldn’t care less what your guys opinion is on the matter. Play whatever guitars you like. Piece them all together, spend a lifetime doing that, fill your boot right up.

I’m not talking your guitars here. A actual employee switching parts around to fill your needs for a look or playability your after.

Thing is you guys think its a normal everyday thing which is the odd part. I’m no law man but this would be a form of fraud wouldn’t it? Is this my generation thinking this or just me or actual rules here in real life. Not back in yesteryear.

8. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

There’s very little consistency here. Recently, someone posted about ordering an amp from musician’s friend, and it was out of stock except they said they could get the buyer one from a guitar center, which was likely a demo in that it wasn’t in the original box and sealed. The overwhelming response was that they should not be selling that and when you order an amp from somewhere like musician’s friend, it should be new in box. Today, nobody cares if some dude is assembling his own guitar and selling it to you as if it came from fender.

I realize this has nothing to do with whether the guitar plays well or not. If I’m paying for a new fender guitar, I want just that- a new fender guitar.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Mr Dunlop likes this.
  9. Intune

Today if someone sold anyone of us a put together partscasters using fender parts and passing it off as original fender, there would be hell to pay. We see it daily with “what did I just buy” threads. So I think most of us WOULD care.

Yes it is a fender Stratocaster made up of bolt on genuine fender parts. Why couldn’t or shouldn’t it be a genuine fender Stratocaster. This is what you guys are saying and I really do get this part. It’s just in the real world that’s considered a home brew partscasters using fender parts.

I don’t make up the rules here. Start a poll on this and see how many members would need to buy genuine from factory or genuine fender parts from your kitchen table.

10. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

I remember the surf green one. I think the OP was in Germany on this occasion?

In any case I guess if my stratocaster comprised of an 82' neck and body yes, I would be happier, however, this would be based purely on the fact that the value of the guitar would be higher.

It wouldn't make any difference to the sound or playability in my opinion.

Even though the neck and body are from 2 different periods in Fender history (ie Corona and Fullerton) I am really happy that I have ended up with this quite rare amazing 82' Fullerton maple neck.

I've done some research and read that the numbers for 1982 Fullerton 57' necks made were under 1,000 units.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Intune and revtime like this.
  11. revtime

revtime Strat-Talker

Now this I get. Rarity. My challenger is 1 of 383 in the modern era due to its paint color.
    I like how rare it is. And a signature guitar or limited special run should be comprised of original parts. But everyday american special or standard. No. Give me what I want as far as fingerboard neck feel etc. If that means u mix n match from the ones you have on hand, coolio.
    In my early years of playing I passed up a fire sale price of a 3k guitar because it didnt have the original case. Stupidest thing I ever did guitar wise. I have learned alot since then.

Parksie likes this.