Join Strat-Talk Today

How to distinguish poliuretane or nitro in a 2002 year american standard

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by scorpionscar, Sep 10, 2019.

1. scorpionscar

scorpionscar Strat-Talk Member

Hi, I'm restoring some knockouts in a 2002 Fender American standard guitar. Usually have no problem distinguish both nitro or poli, however in this case I'm some confused. The knockouts are not as deep as tipically in poliurethane finish, but when sand, is has the rubber texture of nitro, and have some cracks in the neck tipical of nitro. I tried in the spring recess with thinner and acetone, but they don`t disolve the finish. Any idea?

On the other hand, I think that the neck lacquer has a mixture or yellow or amber stain. Any trick to achieve the most similar tone?

And finally the guitar has a 2 pivot system. I have looked for information about how to set up properly and I'm confused. Don't know if it goes parallel to the body like a flyd rose, or laying in the wood of the body.

Thank you so much in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scorpionscar

Demon Dave and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-Talker

Never heard of Am Stds finished in nitro.

The later ones have a thinner poly finish which is indeed more prone to crackling and slightly relicing.

I’d have to see your guitar but maybe it’s been sanded and refinished in some other stuff.

3. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-Talker

Anyway it looks beautiful

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

No American Standard or Deluxe regular factory production non AVRI Fender reissue has nitro, it's always polyurethane. Only reissues and certain special artist models have nitro.

Stratoskater and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I do something similar. Except I just adjust until I can pull my low E up to a G. That usually means setting the guitar to 1/8 inch off the top. I want to be able to pull up a lot. With a Floyd I set it so I can pull up a fourth on the A string.

7. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Your guitar looks like an American Deluxe Stratocaster

I would leave the guitar alone or strip it back and apply a whole new finish. Good luck trying to fix those wear spots and chips.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

YEAH that neck is gonna need to be completely stripped due to the tint.

9. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

Nitro usually cracks perpendicular to the grain, poly cracks with the grain. Nitro will soften and dissolve with acetone, poly will withstand a nuclear blast.

Emilio Olivas likes this.
  10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

How to distinguish??

Oh.. that's easy.... ya just play it... the one that sounds tight, constrained, like it's being played under a blanket, that Poly... but, if ya immediately sound like Clapton on the stage at Royal Albert Hall... well.. obviously.. that's Nitro.. :D

r

dbolt, sensei, CigBurn and 9 others like this.
  11. Dewey

Dewey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

No wonder I sound so good. :D

12. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Strat-Talker

I fear you have done more damage than when you started. They could probably have been drop filled and wet sanded and compound polished. I would say it needs a re finish now .

13. Ronkirn

Guys... stop with the "breathing" "resonance" etc etc, crapola... I don't know if that was the predicate for whatever began the OP down the road of refinishing... but... if you MUST refinish.. there is no better filler/sealer than the original finish.. even if its Poly.... sand it with 220 or there about... fill any dings with BonDo.. give it a couple of coats of a sealer.. so you can see if you missed anything.. then paint the rascal..

Paint, NO paint used on any guitars had any consistently negative effect on the sound.... so other than you want a different color.. or got nothing else to do.. there Is no reason to strip a body to the raw wood.

r

Frankg11 and Stratula like this.
  14. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Strat-Talk Supporter

It’s an American series not Standard,:whistling:

15. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Strat-Talker

YOur right Ron I just meant now he has sanded so much away its going to need completely blowing over .

16. Ronkirn

it just makes me nuts to hear someone is stripping a guitar down to bare wood for "tone" ... when finding a vintage guitar where the original finish that Leo sent back through the finishing process is a "find"... if Leo found finishing over an old finish OK, ??? . . . Just sayin' ..

r

garyhoos1 likes this.
  17. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Never seen an American standard or American series with abalone inlays.

Looks like a HSS American Deluxe. Not all 2002 Deluxe Strats had the contour neck heel. The single coils look like noiseless also, another feature of the American Deluxe.

18. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talk Member

That's an American Deluxe. Probably still poly though. Set up a 2 point the same as a 6 (which means you're playing preference). Lots like them off the body for action above & below pitch. I like them flush against the body so it only goes down but always returns to the same place.

19. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

It looks like an American Deluxe to me as well. It was pretty late in 2002 before all American Deluxes had the contour heel - it was kind of phased in, starting with new colors introduced in July 2002 and rolling through the other colors as any stockpiled bodies were used up.

American Deluxes were all polyurathane, just like American Standards/American Series, etc.

20. scorpionscar

scorpionscar Strat-Talk Member

I'm carving a new neck and I'd like to achieve this tone. What tint should I mix with the (nitro/poli, not sure what to use...). Vintage amber/Tobacco brown...

Not very experienced with Strato buildings, do you think is necessary to apply a primer coat, or directly the nitro/poli?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

Scorpionscar

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.