Join Strat-Talk Today

How to distinguish poliuretane or nitro in a 2002 year american standard

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by scorpionscar, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

amber and brown are a good starting place.... remember to save a piece of the wood... test your tints on that... when ya see something you can live with, hose the booger down..

The color of the wood is a factor too,, so a specific recipe of say, 20 drops of brown. 6 of amber.. etc., may look somewhat funky on YOUR neck.. so to get it right you have to mix it to compliment whatever color the wood is naturally.

r

2. scorpionscar

scorpionscar Strat-Talk Member

Mmm OK, I understand, I thought that should only use one of them not mixing. I'll try to mix in a jar and test in a piece of wood. Thank you so much Ronkirn

Scorpionscar

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

the BSET way to do this is to use clear lacquer in conjunction with a small spray rig.. I have NEVER seen a tint from a rattle can that was anything short of laughable....

you also need a small collection of aniline dyes... if you use powdered. . . ya mix it with lacquer thinner and use it one drop at a time... If ya wanna reference as to what the correct color looks like. DO NOT use anything theta's been artificially tinted.. they're too darn yellow... or worse, orange....

the dyes ya need are usually, Brown, Orange, Red, Yellow..

Go to a library.. they usually have a lot of oak and maple desks around for reading... make mental note of the different colorations...

now.. if you do not have any scrap maple around.. go to a lumber yard and buy a small maple board... use that as a test bed to get your color right...

Some maple is pink.. some is as white as a baby's butt... some more tan... all require a different mix to get the color right.... ( this is why the rattle can ambers suck.. they don't have any idea what color your neck is...) and remember, the maple will darken all by itself, if you paint it or not... so do not make it too dark, because in a year or two.. its gonna be just too dark.... do so and in a couple of years.. unless you're darn good on the guitar.. everyone gonna be walking up, pointing atcha saying., "Lookit at that jackwaggon... betcha he painted that neck with a rattle can of Amber tint." :rolleyes: then someone will be laughing so hard someone will snort.. then everyone will be laughing at him and it's be over for ya... so do it right in the first place... :p Learn to play. that way, it's doesn't mater what color your neck is. :D

rk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.