Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How to fix this 1992 American Floyd Rose Classic Strat?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by TLstrat, Nov 29, 2017.

1. TLstrat

TLstrat Strat-Talk Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    Hello. I've had this guitar since 2010. It is from a production line which ran from 1992 to 2003.

Frankly, I haven't played it probably since 2013. The Floyd Rose was too much of a hassle for me and I got a LP Studio at that point. It sat in its case for almost the entirety of this time.

I tried to sell it once back then, but the counter offers were too low. I decided to try again, and thus wanted to set it up for presentability. Now, I remembered it being in very good, completely playable condition, and as I haven't touched it all this time, I didn't imagine it started to disintegrate or something. But...

I took it out of the case and the frets were VERY green and brown. There were three moisture absorbers in the case, but perhaps they have long been not effective anymore. I had to polish it with steel wool for quite some time in order to get rid of it.

I then went to the string changing and the issues started... The G saddle on the Floyd Rose had its string-insert block completely stuck. I could barely release the string, and it is impossible to remove the block from the saddle. I ruined some tweezers trying to remove it.

I decided to at least finish stringing the rest of the set, but then saw the high E machine head is completely loose! It turns too easily and wobbles. I tried to find one tutorial about how to tighten this type of machine head - nothing. I then looked at it more closely and saw this:

[​IMG]

I don't recall the guitar had this before, and what's weirder is that some earwax-like stuff is coming out of the small hole of some of the machine heads' "cube". I have no idea what this is, and it also happened in the damaged high E.

About the saddle - I guess I can only order a replacement.
    But what can I do about the tuner? What do you think are those weird secretions?

Please, help! I want to sell this one already but I can't if it's not working properly.

EDIT: OK... perhaps it's not related to the secretions, but I found several of these empty cocoons (?) or moults in the furry inside of the Fender case!
    [​IMG]
    (yes I used a Chinese microscope)

Da f*ck are those and what are they doing inside the case? I don't think they're moth leftovers.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017

2. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Dude, stop storing your gear in the swamp!

Paperback Rocker likes this.

3. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    Really, I have no idea what this is! I found a bunch of these dead cocoons, but nothing that seemed to come out of the cocoon.

Maybe it even came with the guitar from the previous owner and I never noticed...

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Guitar moths. :eek: I'm surprised they left you anything to fix. :p

5. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Take the tuner off the guitar and look at the back.

Does it have 2 little tabs that secure the cover to the base?

new.JPG

6. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    Yes, it seems like the same kind.

7. Cuban

Cuban Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2017
    UK
    Posted this by mistake

8. Cuban

Cuban Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2017
    UK
    Sorry....
    I guess the cocoons are cast skin of something like carpet beetles
    Could the secretion be grease from the tuners?

9. jball85

jball85 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas
    Those are definitely molts, dead, shed skin from the perpetrator.

10. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Excellent.

So if you want to clean out the old grease, drop the whole tuner assembly into a glass jar with some Mineral Spirits (aka Paint Thinner). Every so often, turn the knob to expose all the grease to the Spirits. After a few hours swish the tuner around and all the grease should be dissolved. Allow to air dry until it all the Spirits evaporate.

Re-grease the tuner, and then CAREFULLY push the dust cover back flush with the mounting plate, and gently bend the tab back to secure it.

Don't bend the tab too sharply or it could break off.

Inverness likes this.

11. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    Hm... I looked pictures up and it is kind of similar, but not exact. I'm also not sure we have these here.

In regards to the grease - should one even be yellowish like earwax?

12. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    It doesn't seem to move at all... The metal is rather bent, and the tab is already in place. You thought about pushing it down more and reinforcing the tab in the new position?

I think I'm left to simply replace it... Problem is I can't find a single original vintage tuner. It's either an expensive entire set, one from a newer type or a Chinese replica at a few dollars a set.

13. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Do you have any local guitar shops?

They usually have a box full of used tuners that they have salvaged over the years.

One tuner becomes damaged, and the customer wants a whole new (usually upgraded) set.

That leaves the other 5 tuners to sit around in a box....waiting for you.

14. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    Well, I called one local shop and they didn't have any vintage one. The guy there gave me a number of a tech that might be keeping these around, but he said he also has none.

Problem is that online I can't find any single original vintage tuner. For the sake of symmetry it would probably be worth more at sale if all of them are vintage.

15. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    It's just a standard vintage 'style' tuner. You can get them all over the place. If you want one that is aged, there are a few vendors on ebay that sell them..MJT, Q-Parts off the top of my head.

16. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    But all I can find are people selling sets of six, for about $50... I only need to replace this one. I don't really care about it looking newer, I just don't want to replace the entire set unnecessarily for more money, plus I have already strung four from the Elixir set I used (remaining are the high E and the G). I'll have to waste this set in order to replace all tuners...

A remaining option would be to offer the guitar with 5 replacement machine heads.

Point is that I need to order a new G saddle, a set of string-insert blocks (the eBay seller I looked up yesterday had a pretty cheap listing of the regular ones, now all of a sudden they only offer a $30 titanium set), a new machine head AND I wanted to order the Floyd Rose intonation tool (I should actually get the Lo-Pro version for my Ibanez as well) so I could use it when setting the guitar up and then offer it as an extra when selling. It really is a f*cking task to intonate the floating bridge as-is...

That adds up to over $100 when I didn't remember the guitar having any such issues.

While I'm at it - if I'll HAVE to get the titanium string-insert blocks, I'd rather replace all six as they're of different color. Detuning the already-strung strings and placing them with the new blocks shouldn't be an issue, right?

17. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    You can get a whole brand new set shipped from HK to you for $23:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=322826565518

Then you can sell your remaining 5 and probably come out money ahead.

18. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    Hm... And these are basically identical to the ones my strat should have?

The seller even wrote "made by Fender", though mine says "Japan" on the underside of the plate while this has... TIIS? Couldn't read it clearly.

19. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Fender has had different companies make their tuners over the years.

The ones from Taiwan are often made by Ping.