How to get an olympic white strat to look like this

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by FullRedder234, Jan 5, 2021.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Another vote for the Fender mint p'guard - it gets the correct sort of bluish/khaki color, vs most aftermarket that are, in fact, green.

One interesting thing I noticed was that the Fender '62 reissue pickguard is even slightly more to the khaki side than the standard Fender mint - I have both, and although slight, there is a difference, and some of the images I've seen online back it up - hard to know on the current stock though:

[​IMG]

CB91710 and SKYDOG4570 like this.
  2. Soul31

Soul31 Strat-Talker

It's tough comparing different photos of OlyWhite because the lighting of the shot has as much to do with the shade of the "white' and the "green" guard as the actual color does. Take that guitar outside into sunlight and it looks off-white with light green, bring it inside to a room with incandescent lights and it's butter-yellow with a yellow/green guard.

That one shot earlier with the three across is the only true way to compare colors as they are all shot under the same conditions.

As for aging your color, leave it in front of a window that gets sunlight all day and that should have an effect. It should at least on nitro, not sure how poly reacts to that.

OllieWhite and rolandson like this.
  3. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

The problem with 'Which modern reproduction is most like the originals in colour?' as a question is that the originals now all can vary so much in colour from brownish khaki greens to greyish blues.... sometimes both on the same guard.

Also they all look different anyway under different lighting conditions.

The only decision as ever is what most appeals to the viewers own gaze on their own guitar. Those garish aftermarket greens by the way can be dialled down and the khaki produced with the application of Kiwi shoe polish... as on satin neck finishes.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

rafasounds and CB91710 like this.
  5. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I don't think you can permanently darken that pao ferro fretboard to look like that, which is a good portion of the look you want. Also what you said about the pick guard. You might be able to stain, using tea, coffee, or some other medium, a pickguard to somewhere near that color. The pickup covers and other plastic parts look to be vintage white which are readily available.

6. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

You mean snot colored, like this?

IMG_20200308_113505.jpg

Groovey and SKYDOG4570 like this.
  7. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

The light and/or white balance are very different between the first and third photos. The first is more yellow which also affects the pickguard, compare the finishes on the guitars and you'll see the difference.

8. Kyri

Kyri Senior Stratmaster

I can't believe how many of these there are, here is mine to add to the party, not the best of pictures I will try to get another when I get a chance:

mint strat.JPG

9. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

You just need to find the right ambient lighting when you take a pic. You can make a white Strat look pretty-much however you want but only on your monitor. What it looks like on anybody else’s is another matter!

rafasounds, The_Whale and Cerb like this.
  10. Tigre

Tigre Strat-Talk Member

They aren't mine, but I was searching Sonic Blue Strats and that photo came up.. far left is faded sonic blue..

11. Kalio

Kalio Strat-Talk Member

viento likes this.
  12. FullRedder234

FullRedder234 New Member!

Yep, I'd love something like this but on an olympic white body with a rosewood fretboard!

13. FullRedder234

FullRedder234 New Member!

This is the exact look I want! Was it like this from the beginning or did you change the pickguard, do some coffee/tea thing like the others are saying? xD

Beautiful

14. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talk Member

Nicotine will do it. Or just buy a mint guard and put it on your roof for a year facing south. All clear plastic turns yellow. All white does the same. So just wait it out.

15. BODGER

BODGER New Member!

IMG_2226.JPG

grumpy old git likes this.
  16. BODGER

BODGER New Member!

Sorry, posted before I had added text....
    One of the oher posts was correct - if it isn't nitro then it won't age.
    The pic I added is a stagg body stripped and then re-sprayed with nitro (olympic white) and then over sprayed with a yellow to add the ageing.
    Then beat up a bit.....
    Pick guard from Ebay...
    Hope that helps...

17. SLUGGO88

SLUGGO88 Strat-Talk Member

Mine may be headed in that direction. I fid a re-rench nitro finish witn a Fender guard. 1ABF12D1-800D-42FD-8AA9-32052A1EF79C.jpeg

18. Stratacaster

Stratacaster Strat-Talk Member

Try https://www.pickguardplanet.com/colors/

They have the color your looking for. I believe it’s color 43 you need.

grumpy old git likes this.
  19. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talker

I always thought it was strange that Fender would have "aged" parts on the stock American Standards from 2012-2018, but then leave the pickguard stark white. They also gave you a yellowish tremolo bar handle, but its impossible to take the original white one off. They also left the pickup switcher white. The white pickguard will yellow pretty quickly if left in really high sunlight, but I would just buy one that you like and slap it on there.

20. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

The
    The look you like is mostly a result of the clear coat over the white being tinted with an amber tint. Clear nitro cellulose lacquer yellows as it ages. So if you clear coat over the Olympic white color and tint the clear with Amber it will give the look you want provided it is the right tint and not overdone.