Join Strat-Talk Today

how to get this tone on strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by emann, Feb 7, 2019.

1. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member

Hello,

whilst waiting for my strat, any advise on how he is getting this tone.

Through google i found that this might be a strat with texas specials and last xmas i got the bias fx software so I am eager to experiment a lot once all is hooked up. Popa Chubby, SRV and Hendrix seemed to have an era where they used these pickups and their tone is amazing....can never stop playing their music.

Any ideas appreciated.

2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

Neck + middle + good clean amp + chops= there ya go

3. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

+ a tube screamer and a bit of slap-back delay

4. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

Good amp,,proper technique and practice
    I will say I’m not a big effect guy but I picked up a Danelectro Texas Pride pedal and Tex Mex pick ups in my Strat thru my Super Champ x2 and Supro cabinet with the reverb up in the 6-7’s and I get an amazing Texas sound

5. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Ask the man himself-
    (that is one way how to get that tone but playing like the one and only Popa would help more than any gear)

All the best,
    Robin

6. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member

So I have a blues junior IV...Is this possible with this type of amp ...Also what is tube screamer and chops please.

3bolt79 and JohnMac like this.
  7. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Couldn't concentrate on the tone so appalled at the awful version of a great song how it should be done

jlsantamaria, 3bolt79, Kester and 3 others like this.
  8. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Texas Special pickups were not released until years after Stevie died, and decades after Hendrix died.

dante1963 likes this.
  9. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member

I have found the guitarsystems fuzztool at reverb...would this pedal connected to the blues junior iv get me in any way close to this tone - any ideas?

@Tone Guru: thanks for the clarification

10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

Chops is learning how to play like Popa Chubby, that's the only way to get that tone....a pedal won't do it for you......

stratman323, Stratoskater and Textele like this.
  11. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Strat-Talker

Looks like he is on the neck pickup in that video...

Chicago Matt, Neilena and PCollen like this.
  12. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Texas Special pickups weren't even available to SRV or Hendrix. Hendrix never used anything other than stock Fender pickups available in the guitars during his career and he just bought stock Stratocasters "off the rack" and played them.

dante1963 and stratman323 like this.
  13. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member

@Guitarmageddon: aaarrgghh... i wonder where i could learn to play in his way...

Textele likes this.
  14. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Lower the neck pickup close to the pickguard, put the middle pickup flush to the pickguard (this helps with that #4 quack setting), raise the bridge pickup until volume parity with the neck pickup when switching back and forth. Turn the amp volume up and back off the volume knob.

Work on pick attack and where picking happens -- looks like in the OP video he's in between bridge and middle pickup. Plus I caught some volume knob tweaking -- he's not just riding the guitar dimed.

Looks like the OP video he's in #4 position early in the song and then neck for the solo -- but that's hard to see with the video quality/angle.

Different players, different tones, different guitars but maybe some tricks here that can be applied. I go back and re-watch these from time to time and learn something new.

Knobs

Pick placement and knobs

Working one pickup, pick attack, knobs

This Phil X video convinced me to get a Junior (Epi though!) and that guitar taught me more about how to play than any other guitar in the fleet.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  15. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

I agree, furthermore, most of the classic rock bands we adore used off the rack Fenders and Gibsons.

While pickups make a difference, theres a lot of mystery around them IMHO. What I listened to in that video was a nice strat through a nice tube amp played loud, with a tube screamer during the solo. There is really nothing strange or rare to that tone IMO.

Having stock alnico pickups, Fat50s, Texas Specials, Tex-Mex or Fralins wont make such a dramatic change as it will having a good amp and knowing ur way around its knobs, and the knobs on the OD pedal and on your guitar. So, thats good news for everyone :) we need less than we think haha.

16. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

That is pure, from the heart channeling music at it's finest. IMO.

And I agree there is nothing mysterious or complicated to getting that tone. He could pickup any Strat and decent amp and lay that down. That's Popa, flat killin' it.

Lots of practice is what's really needed.

Sorry but after hearing that performance, that is all I got to add. :thumb:

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't heard that one, thoroughly enjoyed it.

gofmusic likes this.
  17. gofmusic

Wherever u want :)

Just need a computer with internet, time and dedication.

Pay close attention to what he is doing, how is he doing the things that got to you? how does he bend? how does he make vibrato? watch videos, learn his licks, learn what scales he used and how. His and others, the videos @jvin248 posted are also good examples.

Ive been doing for the past years, on and off, and I can say that the only thing that impresses me about the vid you posted about Popa (regarding guitar ofc) are the ideas he improvises on the solo, they are melodic and really nice. Thats a whole other level. The tone I know how to get it, and all the tricks he pulled I can do them no problem.

Good luck on your journey!

18. gofmusic

Let me add that there are things I think you really truly learn and master being in a room with your guitar and trying them out. Living and breathing with your instrument goes a long way... it did for me. Im taking about knowing what guitar knobs and picking place can really give you, and those kinds of simple things. They have a bigger impact on your tone than changing pickups and such.

Ofc it was easier back in the day when all I had was a guitar and time... now I got tons of options to pick from (guitars, pedals, etc) and no time lol.

19. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Good playing always shines through no matter the gear
    if you can play you can play!!

its the same in motorsport if you can really drive a car or ride a bike you will always look great

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  20. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, nice guitar tone. But Chubby has appropriated a millenial anthem and changed the words. How does he get by with this? I don't like his adaptation of this song at all.

GuitsrGeorge likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.