How to hold the Startocaster - somebody, please?!..

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
I think there’s something to this…maybe I should think a bit more before posting or just not post anything sometimes.
I’m in the same boat. I really got hooked on Strat-Talk for awhile, and I’d post any little question that came to mind, just for the fun of interacting. “Can a 50s Strat do anything a 60s Strat can do?” “Are these screws set too high?” “Are shims bad?” “Are these scratches normal?” Just stupid questions that weren’t meant to troll. Real questions but just sort of impulsive and not really needing answers. Just to start up a friendly chat I guess. And then the demographic polls. I thought they’d be interesting, and most others did too. It was just a small handful of nay-sayers getting uptight. Most people were friendly enough and it was nice interacting. Even the jokes making fun of the questions were fine and pretty funny. But then there were those few hot heads who would personally criticize and seem genuinely upset. Even in this thread, they keep jabbing about old posts. It’s a small percentage (just a few out of the thousands on here), but enough to sting. So my plan is to not post so much or at least try to post more relevant things.

Last edited:

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
I’m in the same boat. I really got hooked on Strat-Talk for awhile, and I’d post any little question that came to mind, just for the fun of interacting. “Can a 50s Strat do anything a 60s Strat can do?” “Are these screws set too high?” “Are shims bad?” “Are these scratches normal?” Just stupid questions that weren’t meant to troll. Real questions but just sort of impulsive and not really needing answers. Just to start up a friendly chat I guess. And then the demographic polls. I thought they’d be interesting, and most others did too. It was just a small handful of nay-sayers getting uptight. Most people were friendly enough and it was nice interacting. Even the jokes making fun of the questions were fine and pretty funny. But then there were those few hot heads who would personally criticize and seem genuinely upset. Even in this thread, they keep jabbing about old posts. It’s a small percentage (just a few out of the thousands on here), but enough to sting. So my plan is to not post so much or at least try to post more relevant things.

This forum, any forum, is like a neighborhood pub. You have to read the room and get to know the locals.

Sounds like you now do so I would encourage you to plants roots and post away. :thumb:

nadzab

Play Don't Worry
Silver Member
May 15, 2009
New England
The weird thing is there are probably a handful of genuine troll threads per year, yet a day doesn't go by without someone being labelled a troll for asking an innocent question. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people are wound up a little too tight after events of the past couple of years, and choose to take it our on internet strangers.

Or it could be a genuine shift in the tone of the forum, i.e., there are a lot more posts lately made up of questions so facile that it’s hard to believe they’re not trolling…more than I ever remember seeing so regularly, and most of them seem to be coming from brand new members.

I’m not begrudging anyone the right to ask any question they want, but I think there are two sides to this, and it’s not as simple as saying, “Hey stop being such dicks” every time one of these posts come up and some longer-term members express skepticism about the sincerity of the post.

SonOfLerome

Senior Stratmaster
May 25, 2020
Mandalore
I’m going to start a poll on this.

“What is the demographic of males over 40 who need help holding a strat, also what country do you live in”

I need this for info so I can spam people. Heck I’m almost there with all the info you guys gave out in the recent polls.
LOL.
Honestly at this point the poll maker guy probably has all of our names and locations written down in a little black book…

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
Maybe Fezz is trolling us from beyond the (figurative) grave...
I'd have to be figuratively dead to do that. And I don't troll. I just state the straight dope.

I just don't respond to goofy stuff.

But if I was to respond I'd say do what is comfortable. Have a strap for playing sitting down if you can't keep the guitar where you want it. But I've never in all my years had someone say they're having trouble with a Strat and seated playing. A Flying V? Sure.

Last edited:

Thrup'ny Bit

Grand Master Curmudgeon
May 21, 2010
Yorkshire
I always use a strap. The one I off my piano works great o_O.
Uh huh...

iu

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
Dumb question.

I don't see any acknowledgement of the fact that Stratocaster is a very slick and slippery instrument and awkward to hold while sitting.

And I'm not finding any resources or sensible tips on how to improve the grip and purchase on the body.

There are few mentions of placing a drawer liner on one's knees, but I don't see anyone with the liner on their lap on youtubes.

Am I the only one with this problem? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

View attachment 533085

Check out Guitar Slip No More - I have one and intend to order another and a smaller one for my SG.

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
Have never encountered this or even heard it discussed....
Dumb question.

I don't see any acknowledgement of the fact that Stratocaster is a very slick and slippery instrument and awkward to hold while sitting.

And I'm not finding any resources or sensible tips on how to improve the grip and purchase on the body.

There are few mentions of placing a drawer liner on one's knees, but I don't see anyone with the liner on their lap on youtubes.

Am I the only one with this problem? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

View attachment 533085

Not something I’ve had a problem with. Leo originally put the contours in because players were complaining about their Teles digging into their ribs.

I have to say that my sit down and play positions ate varied and sloppy. I’ve even found the fret board tilted toward me some times!