Join Strat-Talk Today

How to learn to sing?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Cerb, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

As the title says. I'm not talking about getting a good voice, I just want to hit the right notes without having to slide into them. Any tips and trix?

Alan Crossley likes this.
  2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

3. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I just started singing.

AcrylicSuperman and Cerb like this.
  4. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Why didn't I think of that! :D

You are right of course.

stratobiker likes this.
  5. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talker

Sing. Record. Listen. Adjust. Repeat.

6. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

Embrace the horror

7. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I sometimes sing in a power trio. I don't consider myself a natural singer or a remarkable voice, but most people say I can do the job, so I believe their lie but to answer the question, one thing that helps me sing with better pitch is to try to envision all the notes, or the most critical ones, right in the center of my forehead before actually singing them, like a few miliseconds before. One thing I've always done is something like a map of the melody in my head, to try to get the relations between intervals. Like, from this note is a minor third up, or a perfect fouth, etc. Not sure if I was clear.

Having said that, once the technical aspect is internalized, like with most other things, its important not to be too uptight and worried with every note, just go with the flow and try to distance your mind from it as if you were a listener at a distance just following the music. This is the trickiest part to me. If you can put yourself in that zone where you both are in control and enjoy it, things tend to sound and feel better hopefully for all involved.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Cerb likes this.
  8. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm a god-awful singer but there's almost nothing I enjoy doing more with a guitar these days than just strumming a song on my acoustic, and singing it. I got back into playing a lot about 2 1/2 years ago and I've been singing a ton. And I still suck, but I believe I suck notably less than I did a couple years ago. I wouldn't go sing in public, but on a good day, I don't generally offend myself anymore - I used to sometimes have to stop mid-tune because what I was hearing come out of my mouth was so foul. So just do it, do it a lot. The more you enjoy it the more you'll do it and the better (or less awful) you'll get.

And, oh yeah, as someone else mentioned, recording yourself can really help you understand how what you hear in your head relates to what the world outside of your person hears coming out of you. I think it helps and at least it allows you to hear yourself more objectively than you do from the inside.

9. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

I think when it comes to sangin, some people have it and some dont.
    Ive tried to learn for years and i totally suck at sangin.
    So youll never see a mic stand in front of me again.

Tone Deaf, Funk McNasty, Grux and 2 others like this.
  10. Crow1949

Crow1949 Strat-Talk Member

As Silencer says "Embrace the horror" and just go for it. Sure I wish I could sing like blackbird - but I sing like a vulture and have the vocal range of a vacuum cleaner but it don't stop me singing the blues - it's part of the act and seems to be entertaining, probably for all the wrong reasons but I aint gonna stop - I'm enjoying myself!

11. Dadocaster

Honestly, it's like everything else. Sing scales being particular about pitch. Sing intervals. That helps loads with getting you used to changing pitches without sliding into the next note. With respect to getting into your upper register, for most of us, we start LOWER than the pitch and then try to move into it, usually this gets us stuck somewhat flat. Aim HIGHER than the pitch and drop into it. The drop in is a lot faster and more controllable than trying to get up to pitch. Keep doing it and it gets easier.

Cerb likes this.
  12. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

I can't sing worth a s#!+. But it really is another case of building muscle memory

Cerb likes this.
  13. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

There is actually a trend of "vocal coach reacts to" videos on youtube. It's an interesting way to enter into the technical aspect of it because you can also listen to performances you like and get an informed perspective of what makes that performer great. You learn all sorts of interesting little tricks.

I recently took a bit of a plunge and took a single voice lesson to boost my confidence a bit as I'm intending to start the open mic thing. The number one takeaway for me was that I was not using my diaphragm nearly as much as I thought I was.

Cerb likes this.
  14. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Strat-Talker

Pretty much, just start singing. There is a technical side, but you ultimately have to start somewhere.

look at Dylan. Great songwriter, **** singer. Never stopped him.

15. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-O-Master

I find it easier to learn to sing a new song playing an acoustic. It is easier to tell if you are in tune with the vibration of the guitar on your body. Once you have it down you can play whatever guitar you want.

16. Dadocaster

Again, though, you have to know what you want. I was a church choir boy and I could always sing harmony and ensemble stuff and/or sound like one of several Eagles. What I could not do was to push forward a rock powerful vocal. So we all are working on something but need to know the goal.

17. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talker

One thing I discovered that not many people seem to realize...don't oversing. You don't need to yell if you're singing into a mic. And if you don't oversing you will find you have more room for dynamics and will have more control over your notes, phrasing and texture.

Sometimes you have no choice and have to sing loudly...acoustic session with no PA and loud players, etc...But when you have a mic, take advantage of it.

Chicago Matt, amstratnut and Cerb like this.
  18. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Play a pitch and match it with your voice.

rafasounds and Cerb like this.
  19. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

The thing is.....i have only two words to say to people.....and they aint very friendly.
    Ill stick to makin the music.

Cerb likes this.
  20. circles

circles humaniod life form Strat-Talk Supporter

I was considering voice lessons. I've never sung, so I think it would be good to learn some basics first. I don't plan on being a front man or anything, just to be able to go to open mics, jams and work on demos without sounding... well... like I do.

Cerb likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.