How to tighten a round switch nut?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Wound_Up, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

How the he** do you tighten the round face nut that holds the switch in place on a Les Paul? This is a deep shouldered nut and not the flat one that comes with the Switchcraft 3-way toggle.

I've read and seen in vids that you shouldn't use pliers because it can mar up the finish on the nut and around it on the guitar itself. So how do you tighten it without buying the $20 StewMac tool? Would one of these knob remover/spanner wrench things work? Thanks.

Screenshot_20210118-031804.png

soulman969 likes this.
  2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I went ahead and ordered a Stew Mac adjustable switch wrench. It’s great because it adjusts to metric or standard switch ring sizes.

Wound_Up and nadzab like this.
  3. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

I've tightened them with pliers :eek:
    Cut a suitable size hole in an old duster or T shirt and tighten carefully and positively.
    Be careful and it should be ok. :whistling:

Tele like it is and Stratoskater like this.
  4. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I've just put a scrap of cloth/handkerchief, t-shirt over the jaws of pliers and go at it.

Tele like it is likes this.
  5. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

I think in english they are called drive socket tools,or sets..something like this for example.

[​IMG]

FrieAsABird likes this.
  6. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

I have that too - makes the task a breeze, and idiot-proof. A little pricey, but I've used mine quite a bit, and I think it's well worth it for a one-time purchase that will last a lifetime.

Tele like it is and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I used to use needlenose on all guitar pots and switches because I was just lazy and they were usually near me. I just keep a set of deep sockets in a nearby drawer now for guitar and amp pots and switches. If I ever sorted out all my sockets, I'd probably have about five sets of them.

8. nadzab

Conventional hex sockets, as pictured above, will not work on the nut in question.

9. Wound_Up

I tried the pliers and messed up the finish on the round nut. They were even taped up with electrical tape. I'm worried about messing up the finish around it using pliers.

I went ahead and ordered one of those wrenches. I saw a vid of the guy using one to loosen a round nut on a LP so I'm gonna give it a shot. I also ordered a 2-pack of new nuts so I can attempt to get it on there without messing it up this time.

Tele like it is, 3bolt79 and nadzab like this.
  10. nadzab

The wrench in your original post? I’ll be curious to hear how you like it.

11. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

12. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Wow
    Complete with U joint

13. Wound_Up

I'll definitely report back on how well it works or doesn't work. It seemed to work well enough in the vid I saw. I used pliers last time and marred the nut up in 2 spots so I figured I'd try something else. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? I put the old marred nut back on? Lol. I have 2 more coming so hopefully I'll get one on without dinging it up.

I did find where someone said you can make a tool out of PVC pipe. But that's all I saw. I'm guessing you warm the end up and imprint the nut into the end of the PVC so it grabs, then use it like the stewmac tool, except with no adjustment.

nadzab likes this.
  14. Wound_Up

I'm gonna try one just to see if it will even grab. If I had one of those old 'Gator Grip' sockets, I'd be set. Or a number of other sockets used to removed rounded off nuts & bolts.

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-Talker

$20?? I can make a bunch of these for $3.00 each

16. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I have one. Comes in handy for many things kinda like have a versatile pocket knife does. I like it for tightening the nuts on tuners among other things.

You can buy it from Music Nomad for $10.99 and while I agree it's pricey for what it is it saves me from having to try to make other tools do the job it does very well.

Tele like it is and 3bolt79 like this.
  17. nadzab

I think the $20 reference is to the Stew-Mac wrench (actually $24):

Adjustable Toggle Switch Wrench

Wound_Up likes this.
  18. Wound_Up

That's not it in the pic I posted. That's a separate thing I found from Musicnomad. And the StewMac tool is more like $34 with 9.99 shipping added in. Or they charge $34 for the tool on Amazon with "free" shipping. No, they just combined it all into the price. I'm not sure why they didn't just list it the way it is at their site on Amazon, too. :shrug:

That's the one I bought. I got it because it has microfiber on the back to keep from scratching stuff. It'll be here this afternoon. Living less than 3 hours from Dallas has its perks. Amazon delivers 90% of my orders from directly to my local post office(or the larger one next door in Shreveport, about 5 miles away) and then the USPS brings it the last 2 or 3 miles(or 5 with 1 handoff from Shreveport). If USPS handled it the entire way, I'm afraid it'd take a week lol.

If this doesn't meet my expectations, I'll likely return it and throw in another $22 for the StewMac tool.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  19. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

‘I bought mine on sale for 20 bux and free shipping. I joined stew mac’s membership to get free shipping and discounts on tools and stuff for members. That was 2 months ago and it’s already paid for itself.

Deathray and nadzab like this.
  20. nadzab

I bought mine several years ago, I think the regular price was around $20 then. I’ve let my membership lapse in the last year or so, but when I was doing a lot of partscaster assembly, it was priceless. It’s like the cost to ship 3 orders at the regular price, so even ordering one or two small items you might have forgotten is painless.

3bolt79 likes this.