How would you approach this repair?

buzzword

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Nov 12, 2020
Los Angeles
How in the heck did that thing get broken that badly in shipping? Was it inside the case....if so, I would think the case would show damage as well. Personally, I would not take on a project like that (lack of skill/knowledge), but I'm sure that it could be repaired properly and refinished to look like new but it would be spendy to do so. I did re-glue (Titebond) the tuning head back onto the neck of my 12 string acoustic after it broke off and all I did was a little cleaning, gluing and clamping. It's still together and working great with very little evidence of any damage. Dumb luck, I guess!

Not dumb luck, if the break runs parallel to the grain and there’s enough wood a Titebond join can be stronger than the original wood itself.

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
I’d pay the guy 50 bucks for the challenge and see where that takes me. Worst case? Part it out. Sell electronics and hardware for as much as possible and put th guitar in the attic. But 200? Nope!

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
I’m going to trade him that Tele style guitar I paid $128 for at a pawn shop. It’s been sitting since I bought it. The honeymoon was pretty short on that one. I’ll have fun with this one even if I can’t fix it. I’m thinking titebond and clamp and then a couple of dowels. I first have to get my hands on it to see if the neck even fits back in the joint snuggly. If it doesn’t I’m not going to attempt anything.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
Here's a thought, that's if outright gluing it doesn't work on it's own. Fabricate a special shaped neckplate for the bottom of the guitar. In the neck, put a couple of threaded inserts, converting it into a 2 bolt bolt-on with glue set neck in the thickest sections where the break & neck gets set. That narrow & uneven bottom surface area may be a problem regardless of the approach. Who knows though, it just might work as a set & bolt on hybrid neck though ? The bolts don't necessarily have to be recessed/countersunk into the bottom even like the Ibanez in this photo, just an idea/concept ? And naturally the Sterling/Music Man isn't a curved shape, there seems to be enough wood at the edges of the break in the neck to use inserts & glue to secure it though ?
bolt on conversion.png

Slacker G

Senior Stratmaster
May 16, 2021
Iowa
Is this a fake Strat-Talk site? No one mentioned toothpicks & glue!

OK

Build up the broken section of the body with toothpicks & Glue and then shape with a small tile router for a Strat neck.

oops SP

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
This is a clean wide surface that should glue up fine. It’s almost like it just missed breaking from its original glue joint. I usually spline most neck breaks but I doubt that it would be really necessary here. The key is to get clamped so it doesn’t slip after being glued and getting it perfectly aligned so there are no gaps or ridges at the point of the brake after the glue dries.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
Oh. You mean like maybe the guy was playing the Devils music on it and that's why it was destroyed?
That's why I'm not exactly buying into the damaged in shipping story, who puts a customized Jesus symbol on a guitar that has a broken neck like that ? That looks more like it sustained accidental damage at a church gathering ? I guess maybe it looked solid and the Jesus symbol went on it, but what are the chances the neck fails like that catastrophically playing at a church function ?

Miotch

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 28, 2011
ok
I'd just brush some freshly mixed Resorcinol glue on it, clamp it for a day and then play it. Although resorcinol is getting harder to find and more expensive than when we used to use it building planes in the '70s. No real gap filling qualities, but will last forever, even underwater.