Join Strat-Talk Today

HSS Strat wiring question

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by kickz28, May 3, 2016.

1. kickz28

kickz28 New Member!

Hi,

I'm currently wiring a HSS Strat. I have 2 tonerider surfari pickups for neck and middle positions. I was hoping to get a Tonerider humbucker for the bridge position, but they don't sell individual pickups, and they also don't make them in white. So I got a GFS humbucker for the bridge position instead.

Anyway, I'm using this diagram for wiring (page 4):
    http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/stratocaster/011-3100A_SISD.pdf

My only concern is that the middle pickup and the coil that is closest to the middle pickup in the bridge humbucker are the same polarity, which means that position 2 will not be hum cancelling. I was thinking that in position two, I could have the middle pickup and the other coil from the humbucker (the one closest to the bridge).

Would this sound good? Is it possible? What needs to be changed in the diagram?

Thanks!

2. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

3. kickz28

kickz28 New Member!

Damn, I had a feeling something was off with the diagram. The 2 coils are wired together so I didn't understand how they would be split, but I assumed there was just something I didn't understand going on.

4. kickz28

kickz28 New Member!

Did a little bit more research and found this diagram:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHSS5L1101/WDU-HSS5L11-01.html

It looks pretty close to what I want, except it has only 1 tone pot.

So now I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have it wired with 2 volume pots (1 500K pot for the humbucker and 1 250K for both single coils, and then 1 master tone pot). I think I can get this to work with a standard 5 way switch?

5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, you'd just have to wire the pickups to their respective volume pots BEFORE the 5-way switch....

But standard HSS wiring with 1 volume and 2 tone pots is easy...

[​IMG]

6. kickz28

kickz28 New Member!

But looking at that diagram, it doesn't look like the bridge humbucker will be split when in position 2? (middle+bridge)

7. Guitarmageddon

You can't split a humbucker that doesn't have 4 wires coming off it...didn't you say your humbucker was a 2 wire version with both coils permanently wired together?

8. kickz28

kickz28 New Member!

No, didn't say that. It has 4 wires. 2 of them came soldered together but I could easily unsolder them.

9. Guitarmageddon

Oh okay I misunderstood...do you know the color codes for GFS pickups? Which one is north start and finish and which one is south start and finish? Need more info....

10. kickz28

kickz28 New Member!

Yep,

Black = North Start
    White = North End
    Green = South Start
    Red = South End

The north coil is the one closest to the bridge (with adjustment screws for the poles)

11. Guitarmageddon

Follow those colors and apply it to this diagram you provided, then you can get a Strat like quack in position 2....and if position 2 isn't hum cancelling, like the diagram says, just reverse the North Start and South Start connections...

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHSS5L1101/WDU-HSS5L11-01.html

12. kickz28

kickz28 New Member!

Thanks, that looks very close to what I need. Only problem is that it only has 1 tone control.

I would like to modify it to add a second tone control (maybe 1 tone control for the single coils and another for the HB?), or a second volume (again, 1 for single coils and another for the HB?)

What do you think would be more useful? What should I do about pot values in both those cases?

13. Guitarmageddon

Well the only time you'll be wanting a 500k volume pot is when the bridge humbucker is in full humbucker mode, which is only 1 out of 5 positions, so I'd stick with 250k...

as far as tone controls, it's easy to modify a diagram to your liking, by combining elements you want to use...for example in this photo below, ignore how the pickups are connected to the 5-way, use the diagram you provided...but that green wire and the 3 blue wires you can use for this diagram to get 2 tone controls one for middle pickup, one for neck - and you can use a jumper to that bare 3rd lug on the low side to connect a bridge pickup to tone by jumpering it to the lug that connects to the tone pot of your choosing, if that makes sense (stage 2 lug 1 connected to either stage 2 lug 3 or stage 2 lug 2)

[​IMG]

14. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

15. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

I will say that you aren't the only one. The website is one of the dragons we are slaying at the moment.

16. JohnDH

JohnDH Senior Stratmaster

That sounds hopeful! Your wiring diagram library used to be a very clearly presented and trusted resource. Please can we have back, if not the same, then better!

17. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, it is really convoluted now...you search with drop down menus, and then you have to go to another drop down menu towards the middle of the page to search within that section. It took me awhile to figure that out, so I am sure other people might have the same problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.