HSS vs SSS bridge sound

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jamiesonpower, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

I’m a SSS guy when it comes to Strats. I don’t think a HB in the bridge gets the sounds I’m looking for when I play one. But that’s just my preference for me when I play.

I’ve had friends with strats that only have a HB in the bridge and they sound pretty good for a heavier sound, which I rarely play.

JJ119 likes this.
  2. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Hmm...mine is pretty decent...I wonder if the difference is in which coil is active during the split. With my Fat Strat it's the front. With yours it's the rear.

Other difference might be if you have the PG PLus or just the custom wound. For some reason they switched the LS to the Plus in the later ones. Since yours it at the end of that series, they switched to the Fat Strat and back to the custom wound SD PG from the Plus, it's likely you have the Plus.

So that might be it too...be interesting to know if swapping the coils is the difference or the pup.

3. spinifex

spinifex New Member!

Imo... and ime... I have been playing 9 months... and am not a working musician ;)

Don't buy a guitar for the versatility factor.

Buy it because it inspires you to play it. Looks, feel and tone...

I have SSS, HSS and two HH both with coil split. No two look, feel or sound the same.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  4. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

My HSS Strat is my favourite of my guitars, but there's a very good reason why I have an SSS Strat too.

5. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

I always use HSS Strats usually with a coil-tap. As has been said a split Humbucker will never sound like a true single coil Strat pickup but I like the ability to have a Fat Humbucker for Heavy distortion sounds.

At the end of the day it's personal preference and I still get decent 2nd position sound with the HB in full mode. It may not be a full, "Quack" but I like it and can use it as per the first part of this track,

:)

Nate D, JJ119 and Baelzebub like this.
  6. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Strat-Talker

They likely changed the wiring for the purposes of keeping things in phase. Its much easier than retooling the parts

Baelzebub likes this.
  7. Baelzebub

You mean the switch from front pup to back?

I'd get it if the switch was made when they swapped the custom wound for the Plus on the Lone Star. Different pup..different wiring. But they didn't..they kept the front coil/middle setup with both.

Only when they replaced the Lone Star with the Fat Strat they went back to the custom wound, but switched to a rear coil/middle configuration. So just leaving the Plus out of it..same pup..different configuration and I'm curious if it has any noticeable effect. I'll just have to rewire it to see.

8. Baelzebub

Same here. I have a couple of each, but the Fender keepers are the Diamond Anniv strat (sss) for classic tones, the Fat Strat (HSS) for the fat HB. Both my LP's are Epis, ES-Pro semi hollow with split Probuckers, and a Studio with straight Alnicos, no split.

All the others are either just passin' through, (Player HSH, AmPro SSS), have special wiring, (EC), or are S types from other manufacturers, or special purpose, like a resonator and lap slide for slide stuff.

All the keepers inspire different things, or different things inspire me to pick them up.

9. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

A split coil won't sound like a single coil.

10. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-O-Master

I have an HSS with the S1 split button. It gets a great single coil tone at the bridge. It also sounds great in the 2 position.

11. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

Yeah. You can usually tell by tapping the coils: they are all at least a little microphonic. I'm pretty sure that my Lone Star Strat had it so that the bridge hb was split in the br/mid notch/

Baelzebub likes this.
  12. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

Someone may have already answered this. A humbucker does not sound like a single coil. A split humbucker will not sound like a single coil. It has its own sound.

13. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

What if it's a super strat? ;)

14. CaptainStraw

CaptainStraw New Member!

I recently got the American Professional II HSS with the V Mod II Pickups and the Double Tap humbucker.

In my opinion, Fender did a very good job with that bridge pickup. They designed the electronics so that when you split the coils, you don't lose any volume from the single pickup. That, paired with the treble bleed allows for a very good single-coil sound, IMHO. In positions 1 and 2 I get those typical Strat sounds that I didn't get with other HSS Strats I've owned. Position 2 especially sounds very "quacky".

My suggestion is that you try them out. If you like the sound, that's all that matters.

15. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right!

You are, and always shall be, my friend.

surfnturf and JJ119 like this.
  16. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

To me the Shawbucker retains a decent bridge tone....but its not as shrill as that position can be at times and bit fuller. It really effects the bridge/middle tone though.

17. JJ119

JJ119 Strat-O-Master

[ Removed ]

18. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talker

Lol, you get a pass if they're both HBs. Or if you're EVH ;-)

JJ119 and GoldenEagle0308 like this.
  19. Kris1111

Kris1111 Strat-Talk Member

If you're looking for the true Strat sound, it's just an sss and it's important to know which pickups you want. My ideal is the 57/62 set.

20. mtsv

mtsv Strat-Talk Member

I've never been a "single bridge" guy... I like the sound of a Strat neck pickup, which I thinks gives the personality to the guitar.. Otherwise the bridge pickup of a Strat is thin as a tin foil...I installed a SD JB Jr mini humbucker, and I am happy as ever :)