Humidifier for guitar room/home studio

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by libertarian, Dec 13, 2020.

1. libertarian

libertarian Strat-O-Master

Living in New England creates a battle with humidity - bone dry in the winter, humid in July/August. Both bad for guitars.
    Does anyone have a good recommendation that doesn’t entail “ultrasonic” cool mist which leaves mineral deposits all over the place (which get sucked into the fans of my rack gear etc).
    There are the simple warm mist thingies but they gunk up quickly. How do you guys deal with it? No central air in my house.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I have an older one that is an Ultrasonic I'm planning on replacing this winter.

I wish I could suggest something that's both efficient and fairly inexpensive but price appears to have a lot to do with just how good and trouble free one is considering that it will run nearly every day during the winter months here as well.

You can shop quite a few online via an Amazon site.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Move to Old England. ;)

Stonetone and s5tuart like this.
  4. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

I got a whole house humidifier hooked up to the furnace. It was surprisingly inexpensive. And simpler to install than I imagined. I could have done it myself.

henderman likes this.
  5. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

For room humidifiers i think you need to go for one of the bigger ones. Those little tabletop ones are useless. They need to be refilled constantly and don’t create a mist that is fine enough. The droplets fall out if the air yo fast and create a wet spot. I suppose if you have a small enclosed room, like a bedroom, it might be ok.

6. artgtr

artgtr Artgtr Silver Member

I have humidity meters in the rooms I keep my guitars, I also keep all my guitars in their cases, unless I’m playing them. I have a large humidifier - I don’t run it all the time, I only run it when humidity levels are low. Which the level today is like 39 so today is a day I need to run humidifier. This is not a perfect situation, but somewhat manageable.

Cali Dude likes this.