HWY1 Neck/setup issue

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Steelskin, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

Hi guys, as some may know i recently got a 07 highway 1. So far I like it, but im having issues getting it setup right. I think I may have got a dud. First issue is the neck. I cant get it to straighten. Im pretty sure the truss is still working, i can feel it turn, but not like its broken. It is tightened all the way and the neck got a bit better but not straight, or even close to it.

I do know a luthier that would be able to put a new truss in it for a fare price but i dont really want to go there. Nor do I want to sell it.

I have to admit that im not very good at setups yet. So i could be just doign it all wrong. Also the thicker strings are not sitting in the nut comfy.

Was wondering if anyone had any advice? Ive thought about releiving the truss and hanging it for a while, or taking the neck off and letting it sit for a bit without tension. The wood is not old and im wondering if any of these things would help?

Thanks guys

2. BOD2

BOD2 Strat-O-Master

You need to be careful with truss rod adjustment. It takes time for the changes to take effect so if the rod needs a large adjustment then this should be done over several days (ok - an experienced luthier could do it quicker but we're talking DIY here).

The general advice that I've seen is that, once the truss rod nut becomes tight, you should only give it a further quarter turn, then leave the neck to settle into it's new adjustment - overnight is a good idea.

Go back to it next day. If it still needs further adjustment do the same - a quarter turn and then leave it to settle.

Try Googling "truss rod adjustment" for more advice. If this doesn't help then you need to find someone with some more experience.

Never over tighten the rod - it really shouldn't need excessive force to turn.

3. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

if the truss-rod is too long (can't get tight enough to straighten the neck) there are things you can do to shorten it without taking it to a luthier, but I would be very careful... pick up a good book on setting up a guitar. I recommend Dan Erlewine's Guitar Repair book wholeheartedly, you can get it on Amazon or elsewhere.

4. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

I have read a lot about it, I have been adjusting for about 2 weeks, After every literal quarter turn (and even less) i left it and played it for about 2 -3 days before trying again. It was very tight originally, i backed off, left it for a few, retightened to where it was let is sit for a few, then another tighten, i feel it is as tight as it will go right now. I haven tried to force it. I understnad that it will take time to notice the effects.

Thanks for the reply

5. gcconspiracy

you can add nuts to the end of the rod to make it tighten further... this is in the Dan Erlewine book, but I've never tried it so your axe would be somewhat of a guinea pig... likely it would solve your problem, but I'm not sure.

6. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

end of the rod is at the headstock or heel?

7. gcconspiracy

depends on how the guitar is set up... I would think the heel, but I could be wrong. Different necks have different rods, and some may not even have access to the end of the rod... basically, the idea is to give the rod more to bite into... I'll try and get around to digging my book out and get you a better description of what to do...

8. Jefro

Jefro Senior Stratmaster

When you do adjust the truss rod what kind of string tension do you have on the neck ? Are you loosing the strings off slightly or completely ? The tech I use says to always re-leave the tension completely "pretty much removing the strings" so that there is absolutely no tension whatever on the neck so the truss rod can adjust things without dealing with strings holding or pulling from any string tension.

9. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Senior Stratmaster

I'd find a new tech. That's not how you do it.

10. Jefro

Jefro Senior Stratmaster

Then what would be the correct procedure ? It made sense to me as you wouldn't want to be fighting the bridge/string tension when trying to straighten the neck. Even Dan Erlwine states in his book to re leave string tension when making any truss rod adjustments.

11. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Senior Stratmaster

Just go to Mrgearhead and follow the instructions. But all you do is tighten the rod to straighten the neck, and loosen it to add relief. If you are not tight you cannot tell when you have it correct.

12. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

Well when i was doing it, i didnt take the strings off but I did lossen them about three or four turns per.

GC what is the title of that book?? is i tthe repair guide?

again, thanks for all the responses