I’m ashamed I never knew this about records

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Deafsoundguy, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-o-hackster Silver Member

Reading about Bad Company. Gets down to the fact that they only had 8 songs on their first 2 records. Because:

“Their first two albums contained just eight songs each and ran about 35 minutes long. This was done, in part, for fidelity: on vinyl albums shorter run times allowed for larger grooves, which improved sound quality.”

Okay, I did not know that. Makes sense. Of course I’ve not bought vinyl in decades but interesting fact. Also fun facts that their drummer suggested to Don Henley and Glenn Frey that they bring in Joe Walsh. And look what happened.

RobZ69, jbylake, jwj1701 and 10 others like this.
  2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

That makes sense, the more area in the groove the more information it can contain.
    Pretty cool though, I always just thought the grooves were the same size on any record.

3. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Silver Member

I di'n't know that, but, it makes sense to me as well

Dibbs, Deafsoundguy and rolandson like this.
  4. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I didn't know that either. Thanks for that bit of knowledge!

I preferred Joe Walsh in the James Gang and solo, but for his bank account he made the right choice. And have you ever seen a bigger endorsement whore than Joe? It used to seem like he was endorsing a different brand every month, or sometimes different brands in different magazines in the same month! LOL Way to go Joe!:thumb:

5. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

Todd Rundgren was known for putting the absolute max music that would fit on the disc.

Nate D, abnormaltoy, Miotch and 2 others like this.
  6. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

What's to be ashamed of? Unless the subject was your major in college or the like, why would any of us know this?

I'll bet you knew that the faster the tape speed, the better the sound quality, or that 45’s sounded a touch better than 33's...or that bigger film made better quality prints...?

But not knowing that Bad Company's drummer suggested to Henley and Frey that Walsh would be a good addition? What...you grow up on Mars or something? Seriously?

I can't take you anywhere.

7. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

Elvis Costello, too. First one that I remember that crammed 10 songs on a side.

8. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member

I remember having long play records that had a lot of songs on them. They were the records more prone to skipping. You could literally see the tiny tight groves when comparing to short play albums.

9. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-o-hackster Silver Member

Yeah you know as a sound guy with lots of experience in things about sound, I would think I would have heard that before.... also if 45’s sounded better I wouldn’t know that either because the last 45 I bought was played on what today would be referred to as a meat grinder. Makes sense I think...

But of course faster tape speed, higher sample rate, all that stuff just seems common sense.

On a different note I also did not know that Bad Company was Zepplin’s first act to be recorded on their label (Swan Song).

abnormaltoy and Danny D like this.
  10. Bluetail

Bluetail New Member!

Back in the old days of vinyl, the last track of any side of an album was often a slow number, such as a ballad. This was because the grooves get closer together the nearer you get to the centre of a record, and a slower song doesn't need the wider grooves of a banging rocker :)

Hanson, abnormaltoy, jtees4 and 6 others like this.
  11. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

That´s true, but...
    They often had some Challenges With classical music that often builds up towards the end of the music piece.

abnormaltoy and Danny D like this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Very important to know if you're cutting the acetates.

abnormaltoy and Deafsoundguy like this.
  13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Yes...Bonamassa...

abnormaltoy, StummerJoe and Danny D like this.
  14. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Is this one of those 6 degrees of separation things?

OK. There'd be no Bad Company if Ritchie had persuaded Paul to join Purple .....

abnormaltoy, Danny D and Deafsoundguy like this.
  15. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

I always remember my Dad’s favourite trick question. he’d ask. ‘How many grooves are there on an LP, not a single or EP, an LP and only on one side. Phrased like that it sounded convincingly technical. Answers ranged from tens to thousands!

16. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

I remember when they came out with 'microgrooves' --- one little bit of dust and it would skip....supposed to have longer time on each side
    but if you dropped the tone arm on it ---- or bump it while it's playing -- scratches or a permanent skip......we would play it once and record it to reel to reel so the record would not get messed up

abnormaltoy, Dibbs, Bowmap and 2 others like this.
  17. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

Johnny Winter's second album has three sides for this very reason. He didn't want to squash it all up onto one LP, because it wouldn't have sounded as good; he didn't want to leave any tracks off, because they were all so good; but he didn't any more songs to record to make it a proper double album. Therefore it was released with two LPs, but three sides - side four was left blank.

18. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

I hate to tell you this....those are called CD's.....:whistling::eek::D:whistling::eek::D:rolleyes::rolleyes:.......

I'm just joshing ya....I saw that and the devil made me write this....:):)

abnormaltoy, Danny D and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  19. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I think average run time for most of the LPs that I had was around 45 minutes total.
    10 on a side must have been short songs (and Elvis wasn't known for overtures).

20. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

He could have released a double EP

I honestly never got that... it was a brief fad in the late 70s that a lot of independents were doing. Don't know if it was one production house that used the format to crank out promo albums for anyone and everyone or what.
    Every now and then, you'd hear about an EP from a known band, but it was mostly local bands offering an alternative to cassette selling them at clubs and through friends.

Somewhere in the garage, I have an EP that I got from my manager at McDonalds. Can't even remember the name of the band... I'm sure it had "Phaux" in the name... but the title track was "Can't Stop the Beat" and it was so catchy that I still remember the basic outline.