I’m going to “black top” one of my LPs

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
Always liked this look. I’ve got an LP styled guitar that I love but the top is a little orangey for my liking. Thinking of going…….

From this

View attachment 514074

To this

View attachment 514075
Is that the actual guitar you have? The one at the top? If it is, I think it looks really nice, would be a shame to hide it behind a black wall, but it’s your Choice of course :)

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
Not a genuine Gibson. I thought about matte black but then it wouldn’t match the headstock. It looks much nicer in the picture than it does in person. It’s pretty orange to the naked eye. The back and neck are a decent golden color though.

69924950-BDA6-4DCC-87A0-4BFBD4E48215.jpeg

Last edited:

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
Nah, don't hide this beautiful flamed maple....

You might wan to just refinish it with a more transparent lacquer... You'd have to check if it's a cap or a veneer... with a veneer you won't have much sanding material.

Pandamasque

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 22, 2020
Kyiv, Ukraine
I do hope you scrape the paint off the binding though. The look is not gonna work otherwise.

I quite like red tops and black tops with a brown back. In fact, any of Gibson's non-trans finishes would work better on a Les Paul if they kept the back and sides trans-brown like on a Goldtop. I never understood why Gibson won't do more of these Gretsch-like schemes.

big_lz19730603_18.jpg