I’m thinking I might keep my latest new guitar original…

AxemanVR

I appreciate, therefore I am...
Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA
I recently took ownership of this fine instrument:

AECC8289-7445-44E2-A485-385605FDD3BE.jpeg

This is a 2022 Gibson SG Special I got brand new from Dave’s Guitar in Lacrosse Wisconsin on June 4th.

I actually traded in my 2020 Gibson SG Standard for it, since I wasn’t really playing it much. Don’t get me wrong, the Standard was a great guitar, but it sounded too much like another humbucker guitar I like better.

5DF606B8-E6C2-40C1-A71B-0995A833EF99.jpeg

Not to get sidetracked, but the guitar I like “better” is - believe it or not - my 2020 Fender Duo Sonic HS (roughly based on the original so-called "student model" btw) with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bridge pickup:

D095A1C3-6CAE-4F5B-847D-C7901E8A71E6.jpeg

Anyway, I own over a dozen guitars and, at this point in time, the only ones that are factory original are the new SG and my 2015 Fender Jazz Bass:

CD6EC6BE-A716-4883-9E00-CF671AAF71F7.jpeg

Otherwise, all my other guitars have been upgraded or modified in one way or another.

I’m not saying I won’t change something if it’s absolutely necessary (like frets or tuners), but I’m deliriously happy with the way it currently is, so I can’t see changing something just to change it - which is good, since I’m pretty much burnt out on projects… heck… I can’t even get myself to replace a bad switch on one of my other guitars - which definitely falls in the “necessity” category…

5AA64314-0A8E-4125-81B1-E6C5FF644179.jpeg

Last edited:

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
I recently took ownership of this fine instrument:

View attachment 573174

This is a brand 2022 Gibson SG Special I got from Dave’s Guitar in Lacrosse Wisconsin on June 4th.

I actually traded in my 2020 Gibson SG Standard for it, since I wasn’t really playing it much. Don’t get me wrong, the Standard was a great guitar, but it sounded too much like another humbucker guitar I like better).

View attachment 573180

Not to get sidetracked, but the guitar I like “better” is (believe it or not) my 2020 Fender Duo Sonic with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bridge pickup:

View attachment 573183

Anyway, I own over a dozen guitars and, at this point in time, the only ones that are factory original are the new SG and my 2015 Fender Jazz Bass:

View attachment 573184

Otherwise, all my other guitars have been upgraded or modified in one way or another.

I’m not saying I won’t change something if it’s absolutely necessary (like frets or tuners), but I’m deliriously happy with the way it currently is, so I can’t see changing something just to change it - which is good, since I’m pretty much burnt out with projects… heck… I can’t even get myself to replace a bad switch on one of my other guitars, which definitely falls in the “necessity” category…

View attachment 573190

I have a pile of guitar projects that are beginning to overwhelm me. Even though I've been wiring my own guitars for 25 years I've started bringing them into the shop to be done for me. So far I've only done that twice in my whole life.

AxemanVR

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA
I have a pile of guitar projects that are beginning to overwhelm me. Even though I've been wiring my own guitars for 25 years I've started bringing them into the shop to be done for me. So far I've only done that twice in my whole life.

Actually, the main reason I was at Dave’s Guitar in the first place was to get a couple guitars serviced.

In fact, replacing strings is about the only maintenance thing I find myself motivated in undertaking, since all I’m really interested in doing these days is playing…

Last edited:

AxemanVR

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA
Nice. I like a P90 SG. Congratulations.
Very nice, lots of great sounds in there.

Right?

The SG Special wasn’t even on my radar when I walked in that day. I was more curious than anything, but it didn’t take long before I was hooked!

I’ve had other P90 guitars, so I know how unique they are compared to everything else, but I just love the over all “package” of the SG Special. Its simplicity is its best feature…

Last edited:

AxemanVR

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA
What’s to change? That’s an awesome guitar, I prefer it’s look and pickups to the Standard too.

The main “aesthetic issue” with the SG Standard is the preconceived notion that a person wants to be Angus Young!

Those stock 490R and 490T pickups are really versatile, covering a wide range of clean and dirt tones.

But, not surprisingly, when someone sees you with one (especially if it’s red) they seem to expect to hear “Highway to Hell” coming out of it.

The SG Special is definitely more of an open book in that sense, since I don’t think most people really know what to expect upon seeing one…

Last edited:

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
I get it. I picked up a 93 Strat Plus Deluxe a few months ago and I haven’t even changed the strings on it yet because it’s just perfect as it is.

AxemanVR

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA
I look at that and start to hear Jingo, Persuasion and Soul Sacrifice…

Yeah, but his had a Tune-o-matic installed, which completely ruined the tone ;)

(I’m kidding of course).

The funny thing is that I really didn’t have any particular affiliation when I picked mine up for the first time - which is a good thing I suppose…

…I was mostly interested in how the P90s sounded…

2996900C-CB50-43A7-A591-67E257AB1A04.jpeg

Last edited:

dilver

Strat-Talker
Jan 22, 2009
nj

Yeah, but his had a Tune-o-matic installed, which completely ruined the sound ;)

(I’m kidding of course).

The funny thing is that I really didn’t have any particular affiliation when I picked mine up for the first time - which is a good thing I suppose…

…I was mostly interested in how the P90s sounded…

View attachment 573200

We’re Not Gonna Take It/See Me Feel Me?

1656524305867.jpeg

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Right?

The SG Special wasn’t even on my radar when I walked in that day. I was more curious than anything, but it didn’t take long before I was hooked!

I’ve had other P90 guitars, so I know how unique they are compared to everything else, but I just love the over all “package” of the SG Special. Its simplicity is its best feature…

P 90s on an SG has a special quality. As you say, it's the simplicity of it. They just rock.

Stratbats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 16, 2018
WV
This and a new Jaguar are the only guitars I could be possibly motivated to buy. Got my RC Srat from Dave's.
HNGD!