I am thankful...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

... be working and still earning a paycheck, I am thankful to be working from home, at the same time I want this work crap out of my house.

That is all.

2. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

My wife and I agree!

Yaralag and stormsedge like this.
  3. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

It's 5:30AM, I am slumbering through a great dream. Then I realize, I am sleep at work. Somebody moved my bed to at work. I take a shower at work. I get dressed at work. I have breakfeast and let the dogs at work. It's 7:55. Time for my commute at work. 8:00 all PCs and monitors are on, checking my email at work. I have lunch at work. Somewhere between 1600 - 2000 I will turn off my PCs at work. Cook dinner at work. Eat dinner at work. Take a break for a couple hours at work. Go to bed at work.

When you are at work almost 24/7 the line between your personal life and professional gets very blurry. I miss an office. This is not a COVID thing... I have been doing this for over 7 years. It is great for the 1st few years but then you start to think you are under corporate house arrest. There is something to be said about the change of venue.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

The money I save doing this is substantial, the not having to drive across the Dallas Craptopolis is a huge savings in terms of time and sanity, but what you are describing is what I am feeling. I am union, on the phones so I am only putting in my regular hours, but it feels different. The demarcation between work and home is hazy.

5. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-Talker

I get it and totally agree with the gratitude. I am eternally grateful for my wife SHWIMBO (SHe Whom I Must Be Obeying), for she is a financial planner, and thanks to her, I have been able to retire in the manner that I choose, and still regularly buy new toys.

Bowmap and Yaralag like this.
  6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

My wife was a financial planner too!!! 16 years ago she implemented a plan to divorce me and have me pay child support for 16 years. :D Interestingly though, having been single all this time and having done my part for my son, I somehow managed to put myself in a situation where I will probably be able to retire early. Like, soon.

7. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I am too. Don't make much, but I have a steady income. Nice to have some job security through this; something a lot of people don't have.

Thoughts are with you guys who aren't so fortunate. Hopefully the worst is past.

Martin Mim and Yaralag like this.
  8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I think a lot about the people whose jobs just disappeared. I did not make moves years ago to end up in an "essential" job, it just worked out that way. In my case, the essential designation is warranted, still it's just dumb luck. Other people got other jobs and worked hard and are now struggling. We need this to get over with...

9. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

Start putting your commuting expense money aside, from when you were going to work, everyday, in a different account. If you feed it as regular as you were feeding your gas tank, Starbucks, and the lunch diner, you should have a nest egg for a nice road trip, away from you "home office", in no time.

OTOH, I love being retired...

Bob the builder and Yaralag like this.
  10. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

I lived in my studio.

No, really, it was my home. It was a "loft" on the top floor of a warehouse. Before the word "loft" was a thing on the west coast. An absolutely huge, wonderfully open space with 15-18 foot ceilings, hardwood floors, massive windows facing east and north...

I built a darkroom in one corner with a sink large enough to float around in, and a separate kitchen. I took another corner and made it a living area, even though living in there was technically illegal...

The rest was a stuido. Though sometimes the painter on the second floor would come up and we'd have bicycle races. It was a really big space.

I didn't mind working from home. It was rather bohemian. And a lot of fun.

11. Cymro

Cymro Strat-Talker

I retired in 2018 at 51, the novelty soon wore off, particularly as my wife and our social circle were all still working.
    I started work again after 6 months ( for my for my former employer) In March this year I started working from home. I lasted until November.
    I needed a clear demarcation between work and home so much so that when I had a job where I wore jeans and T shirt I’d change into different jeans and T shirt after work!
    I started a part time job in December 2.5 days a week and have a 15 minute commute. being back in a work environment is a breath of fresh air, so much so that I’ve turned down an offer of my previous full time role back despite a significant drop in salary.

stormsedge, Yaralag and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    I am also grateful for my job I can do at home. I don't miss the commuter train, or the time it took, but I miss the physical movement, and the neat division between home and work, and seeing colleagues, and lunching or having a coffee with friends (although my bank account is healthier).
    I went into the office last week - a ghost town. Normally over 1000 people work there, and hundreds of delegates attend meetings in our conference centre. I saw 7 people. Eerie.

Mouse, Yaralag, tery and 6 others like this.
  13. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

I rather like the metro. Some of my fondest recollections of Paris are navigating my way around with nothing more than a vague idea of where I wanted to go and that sign indicating a metro station.

That map was all I needed. The French truly succeeded in the art of moving people...

oh that every city should be so easy.

3bolt79 and Yaralag like this.
  14. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    It is clear and efficient. But if I take it too often, I feel my misanthropy rise...

3bolt79, Yaralag and Dadocaster like this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I'm interested in seeing where this "new" work/school at home model goes...imo, it offers some solutions that make brick and mortar cost prohibitive. That said (and not intending a debate or to hijack the thread), I have empathy for those working at home as a lockdown necessity. Personally, I never liked working from home, and subscribed to the theory that anything I cobbled together after 2100 at the office, on a weekend, or at home never saw the light of day--just wasted effort. Rooting for all of you in whatever your existing conditions may be :thumb:.

16. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

LOL, awww thank you, I don't feel so alone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2021
    Mansonienne likes this.
  17. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Interestingly, in my work doing on the phone support for technicians doing hands on work on telecom equipment, WFH can work just fine. Unfortunately, there is so much to know that we have always had to help each other and it's lonely to be stuck and no one to come look over your shoulder. But we're figuring that out too.

3bolt79 and stormsedge like this.
  18. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-Talker

We're coming up on 46 years together, married 42 of those years, with two great adult kids. She's my best friend, lover and partner - always. She has always "let me be me", and encourage me to do things that I know, many other partners would not have supported.

3bolt79, SAguitar and Martin Mim like this.
  19. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Mine acquired me on a lease to own and declined to purchase. I do have a spectacular kid, though.

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Why is Dadocaster’s work crap in your house?

Boognish and Dadocaster like this.