I became an orphan on Monday

SoulSurfer

Strat-O-Master
Apr 30, 2016
Toronto, ON Canada
E33D822E-54AE-4C63-8787-527D548F6E9B.jpeg

On Monday September 27, 2021 at 6:49am, I became an orphan. This lady is my mom who passed away that morning. I knew this day would come, but I was never quite prepared for it even though I thought I was. She taught Bonnie and me so, so much over the years, even after my dad had passed away in 1982 and my brother in 2018.

I remember when our kids were little and we lived in Montreal, how she would take a 1.5 hour bus ride to come to our place and “tidy up”. This meant that our fridge which was jammed to the hilt, would end up looking half empty after she worked her Tetris magic in organizing it. A meal would often be cooking and the laundry folded. Funny how, even though we didn’t take this for granted, we ended up doing the same with our own kids in the recent years. She was paying it forward before it even became a “thing”.

We were lucky enough to spend a little more time with her before she left us. MOM you will always be in our hearts. You taught us so, so much. Love you forever, mom. Now I gotta figure out how to process all this. I was hoping to be stoic, but that went out the window.

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. It doesn't matter how old your mother was, or how long you've accepted it would happen, it hits you. My advice is to grieve as much as you need to, for as long as you need to.

Sadly, when my mother passed, my wife was seriously ill, so I put a lid on it. That does you no good, over time. So, please take your time, then celebrate the life of a wonderful mother.

nadzab

Play Don't Worry
Silver Member
May 15, 2009
New England
Very sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad in 2002 and Mom in 2006...every once in a while, I dream about them, and the dreams are always pleasant. Sounds like your Mom was a wonderful person, and I'm sure if you meet up with her in your dreams, they'll be good ones too.

nosmo

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Amber
Sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad in 1964, when I was 9 and my Mom died March of 2020, so that's still pretty fresh.

"Orphan" is the same thing I thought of when my Mom passed. I had to call my sister and notify her, and I said, "Well, we're orphans now."

abnormaltoy

Mouth draggin' knuckle breather
Apr 28, 2013
Tucson
I still have both my parents, I've started mending fences with my father...I haven't seen him in 35 year and not often before that.

I can't imagine what you're feeling right now, but I'm sorry for your loss.