I cant stop playing my Strat!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dreamingstrat, Oct 12, 2021.

1. dreamingstrat

dreamingstrat Strat-Talker

yes it’s true. While it cant compete with the resonance that I get from my 330, my strat makes up for the expressiveness and very fast, springy attack.

besides the fact that it makes me play differently from my 330, its a fun guitar to play!

im blessed to have both in my arsenal.

JP68 and budglo like this.
  2. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

So Eb would you say 3 guitars is more than enough?

3. dreamingstrat

id give my own answer,

my magic number is 3! Ive had as many as 6, and then most recently, 1

when I had three, its my perfect number to put really good time into focusing on each of the guitar’s maintenance, also the number of string spares I have to buy, and the overall rotation of things when I play out.

this was my collection before I sold it all to fund the 330. Hehe. My two most cherished 62’s and my MIK epiphone sorrento.

[​IMG]Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

JP68 and Stonetone like this.
  4. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

It’s a great feeling, who could blame you!!

5. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I got lucky with My Baja. No boat anchor. 6lbs, 13oz. that's one of the things I like about it. It also sounds great. It may be the best sounding Fender I've ever played.

Stonetone likes this.
  6. JRSIV

JRSIV Stuck in the Middle Position Silver Member

I bought a 2014 American Standard Strat in August and it's turned out to be one of the best guitars I've ever had, and like a lot of us here, I've had a lot.

When I made a NGD thread for it here on Strat-Talk I got back several messages from members saying that the window from 2012 to 2016 was the prime years for American Standard Stratocaster's.

This page...

https://www.fuzzfaced.net/american-standard-stratocaster-third-series.html

...gives a spec rundown and has a very cool linear history for all Strat's made in US, Mexico, Japan w/Squires, etc. This top shelf window of Am.Std's is the Third Series, the last revision to the line before the American Professional series debuted.

I think Fender had a major product line overhaul in mind for several years before it happened. With pressure from PRS, several changes from Gibson (most bad but changes nonetheless) and the price/performance ratio hitting an all time high with import brands, they felt they had to release a stop gap, top shelf American made Strat to keep the brand in good standing while they worked on the next generation Fender line.

They shrewdly chose to put some of their best production pickups, the Custom Shop Fat 50's, under the hood, and they made slight changes to the neck profile and supposedly made the thinner urethane undercoat from the previous generation even thinner.

Whatever Fender did, the results were some of the best Stratocaster's made in the modern era.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  7. dreamingstrat

you’re making me feel like I won the lottery sir. I’m not usually this lucky with guitars. Lol.

I know that the 2012-2017 AV series models were some of the best Fender ever made, but never imagined that this era would also cover the standards.

And yes, the finish is so thin! This strat as a pin sized ding that had the finish flake off and the paint IS REALLY THIN!

Im looking forward to putting ding/dents/play wear on this thing. I wont do it deliberately though. Id just play the thing. Hehe.

I dont think I’ll let this strat go!

8. JRSIV

JRSIV Stuck in the Middle Position Silver Member

I hear you brother. My Dad and I built up a pretty big guitar collection when I was in my early 20's that I had to chip away at after he passed unexpectedly. I just didn't have room for 40 guitar cases in an apartment with a new wife.

Since I've been so partial to Strat's, for years I played my #1, my 1991 MIM Strat exclusively. I felt that whole "extension of my body" thing and romanticized using just one guitar.

As lockdown went on and on I started going through Reverb and slowly but surely bought some guitars. I'm glad I rediscovered that feeling of having more colors on the palette.

After my experience and hearing stories like your's so often I'm like set on getting another Third Series American Standard Strat. The one I have is black with a Rosewood fingerboard. I see nothing wrong with having one with a maple neck, lol.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

It's even possible to get by on a MIM version with ceramic pickups (just set them low to the pickguard) ...
    I added the Armstrong Blender to mine too (SSS blends to HSH).

[​IMG]

10. dreamingstrat

now that you guys turned me onto this exact model year, I’m kind of thinking picking up another one!

i love the idea of a Black one with Rosewood board. (Im a rosewood-kind of guy), or a Bordeaux Metallic, Candy Cola..

Since they’re just American Standards, its priced a bit more affordable than AV series so no problem with the money for it. Hahaha