Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I decided to make a new trussrod cover. ..

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Philo426, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Philo426

Philo426 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Struthers,ohio
    The truss rod cover of my Ovation clone is kind of ugly and does not seem to belong on The guitar (too angular )So I cut a new one out of black plastic and added a mahogany fleur de lis embellishment.What do you think 14927520012231988662219.jpg ?

2. Philo426

Philo426 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Struthers,ohio
    • 23 views and no replies if it is that bad let me know and I can change it.

3. Dubble-D

Dubble-D Strat-O-Master

Apr 10, 2016
    Berkshire county mass
    Lol . I like it I mean it don't look top notch if I'm being honest but I've done stuff like that before. I think it's cool. The cover itself is better. Maybe paint it on?

4. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    I like it, only I would sand the "cross" down with some 2500 grit to make it shine.

5. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 21, 2013
    Merseyside UK
    I like the idea. Only change I would make is put all 3 screws through the plastic and glue the fleur de lys on

Image1.jpg

lonegroover likes this.

6. Daveho

Daveho Strat-O-Master

Jan 25, 2017
    Canberra, Australia
    Personally its not my bag, i think the standard looks okay but a timber one that matches the head stock would be better still.

7. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Mar 7, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    It may be the photo or the decorative piece but it does not appear symmetrical to my eye.

I like the shape much better than the original. Big improvement over the angular one. If the cover was made of the mahogany it would be subtle and blend nicely.

8. perttime

perttime Strat-Talker

May 4, 2015
    Finland
    I like the design.
    Can you make the fleur de lis thinner? It looks a little bulky on top of the plastic.

9. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    The wood and plastic combo doesn't look right.

You did a great job on the plastic repro. Make one out of wood and you'll be in biz.

Used PRS SE that I recently snagged had a plain plastic cover. eBay and a few bucks dressed it up a bit.

20170420_174041.jpg

10. Philo426

Philo426 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Struthers,ohio
    Yes I was thinking either inlay it or just make the whole thing out of mahogany.It is asymmetrical .Well I Wil live with it awhile and try different things later.I have to go buy a new saddle because I cut the other one down. Too far with a razor saw.An expensive mistake I do not care to repeat!

11. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    Bless your heart.

heltershelton likes this.

12. Philo426

Philo426 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Struthers,ohio
    Ha ha!Fools paradise if you think what you make is cool but skilled luthiers do not agree.Reality check on your less than stellar skills can be a mean burn notice!

13. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Strat-O-Master

Apr 9, 2015
    Magrathea
    I think the cover looks pretty good. I think your fleur-de-lis looks more like a bird or an airplane. I think it would look better without the design on top or, as mentioned above, just make the cover out of wood.

14. Philo426

Philo426 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Struthers,ohio
    Yeah well it is easy to change so well shall see!

15. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

Aug 13, 2014
    Oregon
    Me too. In my case the guitar was a build it yourself Flying V. It has an ebony fretboard and originally did not have any truss rod cover. I was going to buy a generic one but a friend of mine had some scrap ebony. I figured that this would make a very cool truss rod cover so with his help we cut the ebony to mimic the head stock shape. I got a tiny black screw and here is the result:
    HS.JPG

ChukkerNation likes this.

16. Philo426

Philo426 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Struthers,ohio
    Looks good and I lke that you made it yourself.

ChukkerNation likes this.

17. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    I tried to make a leather truss rod cover and it didn't turn out nearly as well as that!