I did it. Her guitar is FINISHED!!! Last one in the world!

Ave

blues lovin' maniac
Silver Member
Feb 24, 2019
Louisiana
Hey y'all!

I feel worn out from all of the stress I had doing this project, so here it is haha!

For those of you who weren't familiar, I wanted to build a guitar for my girlfriend (birthday present)
Her birthday was in March.

I ordered the guitar I wanted to modify on GuitarCenter, that should be a hint to my frustration.

It's a 2021 Squier Bullet Hardtail HSS. Honestly side note, this thing played amazing even before I professionally set it up. Squier is really stepping up their game.

Anyways this guitar was backordered when I reserved it in February, but they said it would be available by the middle of March. Obviously this didn't happen.

I called them up and they changed it to April 1st. Guess that was an April Fools joke.

They then said April 10th, I was so done. I went to my local GuitarCenter (Baton Rouge) to get it straightened out. They told me the same date. So that made me feel good.

When I was walking out the store, they stopped me. "Hold on, they just updated the delivery."

"When is it?" I asked.
"Should be available by December."

DECEMBER?! No way, I'm not dealing with that. They actually told me after this happened that GuitarCenter autocancelled my order because apparently it's now discontinued.

I was not giving up, she deserves the world and so I was gonna get her that guitar.

I left that store in a hurry. I called music stores around the world. Australia, Canada, UK, Ireland.

Ironically, the last two that were available in the whole WORLD were located in a music store in Texas.

I called "Murphy's Music" in Texas. They say they can ship right away. I'm happy.

I had a custom pre-wired guard that I made ready. I was gonna be ready to finish.

She was over at my house 2 days in a row. The first day, the guitar came in on the truck, she saw but she didn't know it was her guitar.

That night, I was up late fixing the thing because of a grounding issue. I replaced the switch because the other one was a dud. And it was ALIVE! FINALLY! After months of waiting and anticipation, it is FINISHED! On the second day, I gave it to her, and the look on her face was worth all of that frustration, it made me so happy.

Here it is!
Screenshot 2021-04-14 9.33.44 PM.png

So the specs are:
Neck and middle pups are Fender MIM Tex-Mex
Humbucker is one that was left over from a project.

There is a pickup ring because I had to route the pickguard a little more and it was messy.

I also inverted her input jack, I did this on my strats and I think it makes things easier.

If you look closely, you'll see some extra screws in the middle of the pickguard, because the guard was a tiny bit too big and I had to make it flat, it worked though.

Here are our strats next to each other, I'm so glad we both have strats now lol:
Screenshot 2021-04-14 9.33.16 PM.png

(We also have the same Fender Tex-Mex pickups besides the humbucker, really cool)
(EDIT: Forgot to mention the tone on this thing actually sounds alot like a Tele, interesting.)

This shows, never give up on the ones you truly love.

Ave

Last edited:

StummerJoe

Senior Stratmaster
May 10, 2020
Washington
Hey y'all!

I feel worn out from all of the stress I had doing this project, so here it is haha!

For those of you who weren't familiar, I wanted to build a guitar for my girlfriend (birthday present)
Her birthday was in March.

I ordered the guitar I wanted to modify on GuitarCenter, that should be a hint to my frustration.

It's a 2021 Squier Bullet Hardtail HSS. Honestly side note, this thing played amazing even before I professionally set it up. Squier is really stepping up their game.

Anyways this guitar was backordered when I reserved it in February, but they said it would be available by the middle of March. Obviously this didn't happen.

I called them up and they changed it to April 1st. Guess that was an April Fools joke.

They then said April 10th, I was so done. I went to my local GuitarCenter (Baton Rouge) to get it straightened out. They told me the same date. So that made me feel good.

When I was walking out the store, they stopped me. "Hold on, they just updated the delivery."

"When is it?" I asked.
"Should be available by December."

DECEMBER?! No way, I'm not dealing with that. They actually told me after this happened that GuitarCenter autocancelled my order because apparently it's now discontinued.

I was not giving up, she deserves the world and so I was gonna get her that guitar.

I left that store in a hurry. I called music stores around the world. Australia, Canada, UK, Ireland.

Ironically, the last two that were available in the whole WORLD were located in a music store in Texas.

I called "Murphy's Music" in Texas. They say they can ship right away. I'm happy.

I had a custom pre-wired guard that I made ready. I was gonna be ready to finish.

She was over at my house 2 days in a row. The first day, the guitar came in on the truck, she saw but she didn't know it was her guitar.

That night, I was up late fixing the thing because of a grounding issue. I replaced the switch because the other one was a dud. And it was ALIVE! FINALLY! After months of waiting and anticipation, it is FINISHED! On the second day, I gave it to her, and the look on her face was worth all of that frustration, it made me so happy.

Here it is!
View attachment 472262

So the specs are:
Neck and middle pups are Fender MIM Tex-Mex
Humbucker is one that was left over from a project.

There is a pickup ring because I had to route the pickguard a little more and it was messy.

I also inverted her input jack, I did this on my strats and I think it makes things easier.

If you look closely, you'll see some extra screws in the middle of the pickguard, because the guard was a tiny bit too big and I had to make it flat, it worked though.

Here are our strats next to each other, I'm so glad we both have strats now lol:
View attachment 472263

(We also have the same Fender Tex-Mex pickups besides the humbucker, really cool)
(EDIT: Forgot to mention the tone on this thing actually sounds alot like a Tele, interesting.)

This shows, never give up on the ones you truly love.

Ave
Cool story bro. Now how 'bout some pics of you & the little lady with the guitar.:cool:

;) Glad it worked out in the end. BTW, the inverted jack is an old Ry Cooder trick. I don't know where he got it from.:thumb:

Ruscio

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 14, 2016
Pennsylvania
She's a lucky gal, that's some impressive perseverance on this project! Looks like it turned out great, I hope you're both very happy together!

HighwayStar106

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 5, 2018
United Kingdom
Congratulations! I know how frustrating it is when you've got your heart set on a guitar but then they all seem to disappear from the face of the Earth, so it's good to see it worked out in the end.

I had the jack plate reversed on my slide Strat, partly as a tribute to Ry Cooder, but mostly because the cavity was routed badly and the jack didn't actually fit the normal way!

image.jpeg