I don’t seem to be much for “vintage”

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by TIMB, Sep 5, 2021.

1. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

Before it gets lost in some EC derail let me say clearly I immensely respect and admire any of you using the Roland thingies and other guitar/synth type stuff. Whenever I run into some band with a guy doing that, getting the keys and the horn stabs and stuff I just blow up with admiration. It's not easy and it takes a certain kind of guitar player to do that. Nice job all of you guitar players with those newfangled stuffs.

rct

Censport, TIMB and bbarott like this.
  2. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

For the record, "vintage" is a contraction of "vingt age", which is French for 20 years old.

QED ANYTHING over 20 years old is technically vintage, making me positively antique :D

TIMB and bbarott like this.
  3. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

Not exactly newfangled anymore, but it did take very clean playing technique to avoid squalks and false triggers. I think that's improved with advances in digital detection technology.

Another one that never took off was Fishman's "Triple Play" system-- very good tracking for its time. However, I still believe that vintage mag pickup technology will be preferred by guitarists for a long time.

It's kind of telling that most MFX modelers tend to sell based on collections of vintage amps and effects... :)

Wound_Up and bbarott like this.
  4. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

There is a certain type of ‘if it ain’t broke…’ mentality to guitar players/playing. After all, bigger frets and rounded heels are hardly ‘modern advancements’ are they…

Gibson tried with that auto-tune thing some years ago which I believe ranked as they were trying to solve (imho) a problem that hadn’t been invented. And whilst Floyds are certainly more ‘technical’ than the old fender style tremolos, they’re still bolted on to bits of wood with magnetic pickups and frets and strings - more refinement than progress?

TIMB and bbarott like this.
  5. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

But what caused the prices to go up on vintage was well to-do professionals who wanted Jimmy Page's guitar and learned a couple of blooze licks and then hung the guitar on the wall rarely to be played again.

6. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

Flatter boards, two point trems, locking tuners, noiseless pickups, MIDI pickups, piezo pickups, modelling amps...

All this 'modern' stuff has been around for decades...

So I am struggling a bit to understand your point...

7. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

I suspect you're right about the demise of the 13-pin to sound box technology. I also have the Fishman Triple Play that tracks significantly better and hooks up to a laptop with great sound expandability but I haven't figured out how to get it to switch patches anywhere near as quickly as the GR-55. So far the GR-55 is much more convenient for live performance. The Roland ready Strat of course also has the magnetic pickup fallback as well. Yes, I think the synth guitar formats will always be a niche market.

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I find it ironic that CBS era Fenders and Norlin Era Gibsons were looked down upon and considered sub par instruments in their day. I remember in the '80s/'90s you could hardly give away a 3 bolt Strat, then they became "vintage" and all of a sudden they command high prices.

It's also funny that many who now own a CBS era Strat claim that it's the best Strat ever. Seriously, people really thought they were garbage 20 years ago.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  9. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

I fail to understand “this or that”
    Thinking.

I use every guitar and amp I own to best serve the song.

it may be tubes and a vintage strat.
    It may be an Ibanez and helix.

throwing rocks at one idea or the other is missing the point.

and what’s the point?

what best serves the song!

Cyberi4n, stevierayfan91 and Ebidis like this.
  10. DJGranite

DJGranite Senior Stratmaster

Vin=wine
    age=age

vintage
    [ˈvin(t)ij]
    NOUN
    1. the year or place in which wine, especially wine of high quality, was produced.
      synonyms:
      year
    ADJECTIVE
    1. relating to or denoting wine of high quality.

Mariam-Webster
    Definition of vintage
    (Entry 1 of 2)

1a(1): a season's yield of grapes or wine from a vineyard
    (2): WINEespecially : a usually superior wine all or most of which comes from a single year
    b: a collection of contemporaneous and similar persons or things : CROP
    2: the act or time of harvesting grapes or making wine
    3a: a period of origin or manufacturea piano of 1845 vintage
    b: length of existence : AGE

adjective
    Definition of vintage (Entry 2 of 2)

1of wine : of, relating to, or produced in a particular vintage
    2: of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or quality : CLASSIC
    3a: dating from the past : OLD
    b: OUTMODED, OLD-FASHIONED
    4: of the best and most characteristic —used with a proper noun
    vintage Shaw: a wise and winning comedy— Time

11. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

If that's what you want to believe.

But where do you think the definition applied to wine came from?

12. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

25 years ago in usenet, using a CBS Stracaster was the same thing when I was a kid as using an Ibanez and calling it a "strat". You wouldn't be caught dead in a bar using something called Ibanez "strat" back then. Fender or nuthin, CBS and all. But somewhere along the way people just hated them, and I use the word people because these were not guitar players.

rct

TIMB likes this.
  13. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

There’s not really point other than that I’ve just discovered a lot of it and have been trying it out. I’ve always kinda been stuck in a vintage is best type of box and have never really tried or experimented with anything else.
    Just sharing some thoughts. I know that I’m behind times.

Cyberi4n and RobZ69 like this.
  14. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

That’s all Charvel makes is hotroded/modern Strats and teles. They still retain the Strat vibe with modern amenities. Plus they’re owned by Fender so they can keep the traditional headstock and body shape. The dk’s don’t keep the the body shape but the San Dimas and So-Cal do.

15. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

In the early '70s in SEAsia, it was Greco, Hagstrom and Ibanez(?-- hard to remember so long ago!). Fender and Gibson were the guitars to own, so I bought a Strat. I later disassembled it and discovered that its workmanship (stinky, goopy finish dried in the cavity and a cardboard neck shim???) was far below my Yamaha SA-50. Still, it was a statusy Fender, back before they made a zillion different versions.

TIMB likes this.
  16. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Sure it does. Ultramodern guitars 30 years ago were the Super Strats and pointy guitars with Floyd's. That was just 1991. Not like we're talking in the 70s. Now that would make ultramodern questionable.

TIMB likes this.
  17. Wound_Up

What are FRFR cabs?

18. Bakelite1

Bakelite1 Strat-Talker

Fixed.

19. Wound_Up

There's a big difference between the definition of a word and the origin of that word. You supplied the definition. He supplied the origin.

Just as he said, it started with WINE.

Screenshot_20210906-210904_Chrome.jpg

20. Wound_Up

Did you read the post? His point was fairly easy to comprehend. Unless you're looking for something that isn't there and reading into things he didn't actually say.

TIMB likes this.