I found it by the dumpster

Daniel V

New Member!
Nov 8, 2016
Nevada
I was taking some trash to the dumpster behind the apartment complex and I saw this:

guitar.jpg

I immediately recognized the Stratocaster design but I did not see the 'Fender' name. It was upright in a shopping cart, not the supermarket type but those square ones with two wheels people buy to haul groceries.

I looked around, saw no one, and took it. Walking back I figured the possibility of someone shouting, "Hey, Dude, that's my strat!!", But all was silent. At the door of my apartment I see a lady, one of those who was, "Getting Out The Vote". She was asking about someone who didn't live there anymore. I then said to her, "I just found this by the dumpster". She says, "Oh, my God, that's an omen!". I didn't respond to the omen part and just said, "Yeah, and I play guitar too. Now I have 3 guitars." A few more words with her and then she left.

Everything about it looks like a Stratocaster but I can't find a name anywhere other than "tone" and "volume". I took of the scratch plate off but nothing underneath, not even on parts unless they're so small I overlooked them. Took off the back plate (tremolo springs), no name. Haven't taken the neck off as I don't think there would be anything there. Should I do that?

Anyway, this is the first time I've posted in this forum so if the mods feel it should go in another category then please do so. Basically, just trying to find out what type of Stratocaster or Strat-type it is. By the way, overall it's in good condition, no major cracks in the wood, machine heads are smooth and hold. Everything seems in working order. I haven't plugged it in but even if were something with the circuitry that would be minimal to repair either by me or someone I know who has a guitar shop.

Dan

Steve112

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 15, 2013
Abbotsford, Canada
Well I don't think it's a Fender or Squier judging by the dot spacing at the 12th fret. The pickguard screws are not standard 11 hole positions and the pg shape appears odd but that may be just the picture angle or myself.
Can't say much else, more and better pics would help but hey, it's a free Strat and that has to be a good thing. Nice find, hope you can clean it up a get her playing good if at all possible.
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure that more knowledgeable people will be able to add further info! :)

Daniel V

New Member!
Nov 8, 2016
Nevada
Thank you all for such a prompt response. You must all be fast, lead players. :)

I have some errands to do today so by tonight or early tomorrow will post more photos of the particular areas mentioned. If anyone else has specifics as to other areas to photograph then let me know.

By the way, "circles", yes I thought of that. I also had the same thought about an antique chair that I found at the same dumpster a couple of months ago. I verified it's 'pedigree' and it's from around 1928. If anyone wants to see a pic of that let me know.

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

Great Find!

It looks like it got wet or something (if it were in the South-East flooding, but you're in Nevada and should be drier than anything).

Put a couple of drops of 3-in-1 oil, that's two drops, down the truss-rod hole at the headstock. Aim so the oil goes to the outside of the hex nut in there. Let the guitar sit upright like the picture is over night. Later you'll need to adjust the truss rod (especially if water was involved) and the oil will help you turn it.

Take the strings off and get a lot of pictures front and back and post them up. Unscrew the pickguard and get pictures inside the control cavity and the back side of the pickguard. Get these closeup pictures outside with some sunlight so they are crisp not blurry inside shots.

Tuners look like the entry-level ones from the late 80s/early 90s. The American made Peavey guitars at that time had them, but the Peavey headstock is different shape. The fingerboard dots look like Epiphone import type of job but they would have used a different headstock shape.

Nut is either corroded/damaged?

Did you plug it in yet to see what kinds of sounds it makes? Likely will need work under the pickguard but it's good to know what switch settings and pots do.

Again, great find.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I was taking some trash to the dumpster behind the apartment complex and I saw this:

guitar.jpg

I immediately recognized the Stratocaster design but I did not see the 'Fender' name. It was upright in a shopping cart, not the supermarket type but those square ones with two wheels people buy to haul groceries.

I looked around, saw no one, and took it. Walking back I figured the possibility of someone shouting, "Hey, Dude, that's my strat!!", But all was silent. At the door of my apartment I see a lady, one of those who was, "Getting Out The Vote". She was asking about someone who didn't live there anymore. I then said to her, "I just found this by the dumpster". She says, "Oh, my God, that's an omen!". I didn't respond to the omen part and just said, "Yeah, and I play guitar too. Now I have 3 guitars." A few more words with her and then she left.

Everything about it looks like a Stratocaster but I can't find a name anywhere other than "tone" and "volume". I took of the scratch plate off but nothing underneath, not even on parts unless they're so small I overlooked them. Took off the back plate (tremolo springs), no name. Haven't taken the neck off as I don't think there would be anything there. Should I do that?

Anyway, this is the first time I've posted in this forum so if the mods feel it should go in another category then please do so. Basically, just trying to find out what type of Stratocaster or Strat-type it is. By the way, overall it's in good condition, no major cracks in the wood, machine heads are smooth and hold. Everything seems in working order. I haven't plugged it in but even if were something with the circuitry that would be minimal to repair either by me or someone I know who has a guitar shop.

Dan

To me this looks like a made in Korea Squier from the early to mid 1990s - they had different body shaping, headstock contour, and different size pickups and pickguard....

In this condition it's worth about $25 - mint about $100 or so

Nick Evans

Senior Stratmaster
May 8, 2016
Another Dimension In Space
Welcome to the forum, I hope u can get the guitar playing good. About 16 years ago my boss at the time threw out a Hondo LP copy in the skip. So I had that the same way. I had a box of epiphone parts in a box , some new strings and set up. It was my beater guitar I took to jamming sessions and such. I recently sold it for £100 . A lot more than I would of got for the box of parts! :)

jayoldschool

Mod Admin
Staff member
Sep 13, 2011
Canada
Driving home last week, a Strat headstock caught my eye. It was poking out of the top of a pile of garbage. I was doing about 40mph at the time, so it took a split second to register, and I then whipped around in a quick U turn. Pulled onto the shoulder, and was about to get out of the car... and noticed... it was a Rockband controller.

Enjoy your new garbage guitar! For sure, with those 12th fret dots, it's not a Fender, but who cares?

Daniel V

New Member!
Nov 8, 2016
Nevada
I have not yet cleaned up the guitar since I will do that later on after seeing if it plays on amp.

Ok, here are the pics.

head-front.jpg

head-back.jpg

nut.jpg

neck.jpg

neck2.jpg

body-front.jpg

bridge.jpg

front-panel-removed.jpg

For a couple of larger images of the above: Image 1 & Image 2

back-panel.jpg

back-panel2.jpg

Note to poster, "circles": I removed the input jack and in the well below it I found the remains of a tiny flower. I exceeded the 10 images allowed for the post so here is the link to the image.(penny for scale)

Yeah, there's got to be a story to that. :) I'm deciding whether to leave it there.

If I have time next week I may swing by UNLV and see if someone in the Botany department can give me a clue as to what type of flower it is since part of it became tiny fragments and dust in the well.

Daniel V