I fried my TS9. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
OK, I just checked and you of course are right. I must have bought this stomper in the early '80s. It has rocked for a good long time, and now I have a new TS9 to carry on the tradition.
If you’d like, I’ll trade you your broken TS9 for a hand made TS-808…

073900BE-E6E2-48EE-8D11-3FA205AE40FA.jpeg 9C063F53-F61C-4DBE-A584-9C95E4AB2038.jpeg

Hanaywhat

Strat-Talker
Mar 23, 2022
Vancouver Island
Voltage regulator yes, but what I mainly disagree with you on the subject was when you stated this:

The zener is definitely not use as a voltage divider…

Mea Culpa, I also didn’t know about zener diode for voltage regulation. But it’s all good, I owe you for inventing my wife ! :sneaky:
Yeah ok Eric. That's taken out of context, go through my comment history here. I may have misspoken as I meant to say it regulates to 9 to later be cut to 4.5. At least I can admit my mistakes in English. You were publishing full blown technical manuals to try and disprove what I could clearly see on the actual photo of the board. YOUR CREDIBILITY HAS GONE DOWN THE DRAIN AND YOURE NOT GOING TO DRAG ME DOWN WITH YOU. Nice try though. Furthermore, you don't think I can see what's going on here? You and I always knew the caps were the issue and that diode wouldn't solve the problem but one of us is ending up with a free tubescreamer... Hmmm....

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
Yeah ok Eric. That's taken out of context, go through my comment history here. I may have misspoken as I meant to say it regulates to 9 to later be cut to 4.5. At least I can admit my mistakes in English. You were publishing full blown technical manuals to try and disprove what I could clearly see on the actual photo of the board. YOUR CREDIBILITY HAS GONE DOWN THE DRAIN AND YOURE NOT GOING TO DRAG ME DOWN WITH YOU. Nice try though. Furthermore, you don't think I can see what's going on here? You and I always knew the caps were the issue and that diode wouldn't solve the problem but one of us is ending up with a free tubescreamer... Hmmm....
Don’t be offended… I was simply pointing out the main part of your post I disagreed with. In the same post, I admitted my mistake and lack of knowledge of voltage regulation.

As for my credibility, I have none and don’t aspire to have any. i always clearly stated that I was hobbyist and not an electrical engineer. I honestly simply try to help someone fix what appears to me a fixable pedal. The suggestion from members to trash a broken pedal when it can be fixed makes no sense to me.

And for your last comment, suggesting that I did that to get a free pedal is unfair and very asinine (if that’s the correct English word). For the record, my agreement with @dbb541 is that if he ships it, I’ll have a go at fixing it and will ship it back, no charge.

Jimi Lightning

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 21, 2016
Ontario, Canada
The diode and 2 resistors and caps where pointed out at one point. Just follow the path….lol.

People learn by their mistakes not instant fixes so this has been an educational journey for some. Let’s not devalue a learning opportunity by insults.
YMMV as usual. :)

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
The diode and 2 resistors and caps where pointed out at one point. Just follow the path….lol.

People learn by their mistakes not instant fixes so this has been an educational journey for some. Let’s not devalue a learning opportunity by insults.
YMMV as usual. :)
Yep, that’s pretty much the plan if I get my hands on it. The resistors should be fine, polarity would not impact them. The first 2 caps seems polarized, so these are the first suspect, after that it will be a slow process to check through the path., one component at a time.

dbb541

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 14, 2010
Eugene
Yeah ok Hanaywhat.
Eric-G is not getting a free pedal, he is doing this for free and sending it back to me. Go away.

Hanaywhat

Strat-Talker
Mar 23, 2022
Vancouver Island
Yeah ok dbb541. What are you? A droid from star wars? Oh wait, a star wars droid probably would be able to fix a guitar pedal. You've shunned my advice every step of the way and now look where you are...I told you to just buy a new OD pedal. You said something along the lines of you like to tinker with this stuff. I told you the caps were fried and you replaced only the diode and gave up. You are wasting everyone's time here. Next time someone asks for advice I will just not bother because it seems people only want advice biased towards there own preferences. I INVENTED THE THERMOSTAT DAMNIT.

Odell

Strat-Talker
Mar 24, 2011
Nashville TN
A couple of other things to check for: make sure none of the pot's lugs are touching the inside of the enclosure. Also, inspect the wiring for breaks. The wires are fragile and prone to breakage at their connections when moving things around. Best of luck!

Derrick

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 23, 2020
MD/VA/DC metro
Your question here is a futile. If you didn't know enough not to discern a proper 9v adapter from one that would smoke your pedal, then you certainly aren't going to be able to do anything to fix the pedal with anything we can tell you.
Yeah okay Derrick. You know nothing about me. You're deductive powers are amazingly bad. Get lost, your advice is not needed.
Anyone else want a shot at it? I'll ship it to you if you agree to continue the thread.
I told you the caps were fried and you replaced only the diode and gave up. You are wasting everyone's time here.
A lot of people think they can handle electronics because they have a soldering iron. My point earlier on was that you aren't going to understand how to troubleshoot an electronic device if you don't know enough to discern the proper AC adapter to use (or realize not to blindly just try one and hope for the best). The tone of my post was my way of agreeing with your own reflection that yours was a completely stupid move, but for the record, I was right... I did know something about you, which Hanaywhat point out with you giving up after replacing a single diode 217 posts later.

Thankfully, there are a lot of people on here more patent (or with more spare time) than me. It sure would be nice to see you persevere after all of this, so here's some pity advice... assuming resistors are likely OK (since no charring/disfigurement), since the device is so simple (not many components outside of resistors), and there don't appear to be any damages to the board (charring or broken/lifted traces), there is a hail mary you can throw here to possibly win the game. For less than the price of shipping the pedal to Eric, you could simply order the few non resistor parts and change them all out assuming the bad par(s) are one of them. That would be the caps, the two transistors, and two more diodes I believe. Just replace them all and your pedal will likely work if you get the correct replacements and install them correctly. Avoid eBay for parts as this will be expensive compared to Mouser, Digikey, and other parts sellers. You might even find someone selling a TS9 parts kit for a reasonable price so everything is there for you already (eBay or elsewhere on line?). Still up for the challenge?

Status
Not open for further replies.